Repair Advice on the dreaded timimg chains. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Repair Advice on the dreaded timimg chains.

shorrockt

Reaction score
City, State
boynton beach, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hi all,

Have a question about my 02 explorer

On Saturday, I guess we blew the timing on the vehicle. we have about 63000 miles on the truck

The dealer basically wants 6500 to replace the engine. Seems really high to me. esp. for a verbal quote without a tear down.

I'm confused about a few things after reading a lot on the web about this problem, and was hoping you kind folks could help me.

Is the 4.0l sohc an Interference engine?
the tech said that He needs to replace because of valves and the like. I've only read one post were the engine needed to be replaced, most seem like they need the cartridges replaced. He opined on about how using the wrong Oil like 10w30 will cause the cartridges to be oil starved and destroy the engine.

why does the engine need to be removed for this repair?
the ford service manual shows that the repair can be done in the car with the proper tools.

Would I be better off towing this to a non-factory site an have the engine replaced?

I have contacted the Ford National number, and they are "looking into" the problem. I've asked them to help cover the repairs since I've seen several TSB's about this issue, but have never heard of the problem before: (TSB 00m12, 01m01, 0281, 02-7-6) and will hear back from them soon.

any thoughts and guidance would be greatly appreciated from all here.

The best part, I was backing out of a parking space. no loud noises, no unusual noises, never stalled, never had any weird issues prior to this.

Thanks,

Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WOW :eek: 63k miles and the timing chain broke! Are you performing regular oil changes on your explorer? That sucks!
My 02 explorer has 113k miles and still runs like a top!

6500 dollars does seem a little high to me.

Don't Buy Fords Anymore

Just thought I would post a follow up to this.

I have great respect for the folks on the consumer line, so this is not directed to them, but rather the company as a group of scum bags.

Apparently Ford No cares to help their loyal customers. I've owned five fords In my life, never had a problem like this, and they can care less. So, I guess it's time to say goodbye. to these profit hungry scum bags and go find a company that can build a car that won't die in 60000 miles. (Yes with proper maintainence) I've taken four of those cars past 130000 miles without a problem.

Rather than help (They simply won't offer anything) they've said "tough luck." so I say good luck to you.

Ford: Where profits are Job 1

What have you done to confirm it jumped timing and destroyed valves? I really don't know if the 4.0L is interferrence or not. Can you turn it over by hand? Checked compression? Scanned for error codes? If it's toast I bet you can find a good low mileage replacement for a lot less than $6500.

Hello
Sorry to read about your engine. I bought a used 98 Exp XLT 4x4 SOHC (115K miles) a few years ago that made a noise that eventually got diagnosed by Ford as a bad cassette (timing chain?) It was quoted a 800 job but once they started it jumped to 1200 and when they took it apart they found metal shards in the pan and the mech said if repaired he couldn't "guarantee" the engine would run right?!?!?! They quoted me 3K+ for a rebuilt block. I went on Ebay found a guy advertising slightly used 4.0 SOHC blocks so I wrote to everyone who won them and 3 out of 4 said they were good with one saying it exploded once installed. He gave a 12 month/12K warranty and sold many Ford and some Chevy parts. His explanation is that they were bougth from hail damaged new salvaged hail damaged trucks. One gentleman wrote more saying it was a new block and he installed it himself with no problems. I took a chance and bought it for about 1200-1500 (can't remember) and received a brand new 2002 longblock with all electronics and fuel injection installed including the wire harness. The parts man wouldn't help the mech cause he was so mad at me bypassing them. It was installed with the only mod I know of is the oil filter mount off of my 98 was put on and they swap the fule inj/manifold (told that wasn't necessary) and I sold the truck to a coworker who is still running it. If interested let me know and I will see if he is still selling them (I checked about a year ago and he said yes).

Joe
rowekmr@aol.com

Back