• Register Today It's free!

replacing clutch

2k1 GT

Reaction score
City, State
Millsboro, DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Navajo LX
Hello all, I need to replace the clutch in my 93 Navajo, I'm 90% sure it's the slave cylinder gone bad, Auto shops are quoting me way more than I can afford to pay to fix it. I've searched the forums here and received alot of good advice.

1. I'm going to replace the slave cylinder, pressure plate, pilot and throw-out bearings

2. check the rear main seal

3. possibly have the flywheel machined if needed

Is there any particular name brand parts I should go for?
Napa seems to have the better prices, altho, I'd rather pay alittle more for quality parts (don't want to this twice)

I use the 4-wheel drive some, mainly just driving on the beach, nothing extreme

Any tips or advice?

Thanks in advance

Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just replaced mine on my 96 two weeks ago using a NAPA rebuilt and a Wagner slave cylinder. If you buy a clutch kit, they are usually new and include a pilot, alignment tool and throw out...if you purchase the plate and disk seperate they are usually rebuilt, but you'll need to buy a pilot ($10-12) and the tool. Don't bother buying the throw out seperate because it should come with the slave. Also, buy everything before you start to include a QD tool for the slave line, an alignmet tool, a throwout seal, ect.. also buy, rent, steal or borrow a tranny jack. The tranny and transfer case are heavy and akward even for 2 people. If you have a Harbor Frieght Tools in your area, they sell a jack for $60 or an jack attachment for $40. On the flywheel, drop it an remove the pilot when it sout, then check the surface for gouges....my local transion shop recommended to replace it if gouged, other wise rough it up with sandpaper and put it back on, but don't resurface it.

ouch

I replaced mine too- I would highly recommend the clutch and slave from napa! I've had to replace the clutch twice- it seems the napa slave lasts around 60-80K. I guess the spring wears out.
Their rebuilt clutch pak is just a stocker, but their new clutch pak is awesome! Depends what you wanna spend. Be sure to check the box before leaving with it- they forgot to include the clutch alignment tool in mine, but I used a metal tool anyway.

You dont HAVE to replace the pilot bearing- I just used some white lithium spray. I'd keep the flywheel on there and just rough it up with sandpaper like Arnold said- I've used and abused my clutch but the pilot bearing and flywheel have never needed replacement.

Arnolds also right on about the tranny jack/tranny adapter- this can be extremely useful when removing both the transfer case and tranny.

I would also get yourself a Ford powertrain/drivetrain manual or a Chiltons book to help guide you step by step in the process if you haven't replaced a clutch before. Make sure you have the right tools to do this as well- you will need wrenches, sockets, extensions, etc.
Also, allow plenty of time to do this- just removing everything to get to the clutch can take quite awhile.

Almost forgot...grab some brake cleaner for your flywheel and some Loc-tite for the drive shaft and flywheel bolts. Also, make sure you have all your tools... newer Fords use 12 point metric bolts on the drive line! A cheater pipe and a breaker bar really helps out here.

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to put it on jackstands tonight, and get started. I'll probably be back with some more questions in the next few days!

Dan:confused:

Some good points so far, but there is some other info that could help you out. Since I have dropped quite a few trannies lately and replaced clutches quite a few times, a buddy of mine and I have developed quite a good method.

0) Call your NAPA (if you so desire) and make sure they have all the parts you need. Also see if they have a machine shop attached.

1) Have all the new parts and make sure they are correct. New clutch disc, pressure plate, slave cylinder (will come with new throwout bearing on it), clutch alignment tool, and throwout bearing (for $7 you might as well replace it while you are in there).

2) Make sure you have all the right tools. Sockets, wrenches, air tools are nice, but not neccessary. Pilot bearing puller, 12pt 12mm socket or boxed end of a 12mm wrench for the driveshaft, and for the hydraulic line you can get the proper tool or make due with a pair of small flathead screw drivers.

3) Disconnect everything first. Start with the driveshaft and move toward the engine. Driveshaft, electrical connections or manual connections for the t-case, speedo cable, reverse lights and neutral safety plug, shifter, clutch hydraulic line, and oxygen sensors.

4) Pull the muffler back and drop it. If you can, take off the y-pipe and cats. This will make dropping and lining up the tranny SO much easier.

5) Since you had to pull the shifter from inside the cab, here is how to make due WITHOUT a tranny jack. Make sure you have a set of jackstands that you can position on the floorboards where you put your feet on either side of the tranny tunnel. Then set a strong piece of pipe or tubing or something on them. Use a ratcheting strap to sling the transmission, putting a slight amount of pressure on it.

6) Unbolt the tranny from the motor. Should be 6 total bolts. Since it is slung you don't have to worry about it crashing to the ground. Then carefully remove it. Go back to the engine compartment and slowly and carefully lower the tranny and t-case to the ground. I usually put mine on a creeper to easily slide it out of the way.

7) Remove the slave from inside the bellhousing of the tranny. Make sure it is the same as the new one. If it is replace it with the new one that has been bench bled (do a search at http://board.rrorc.com for more info on that).

8) Unbolt the stock pressure plate and remove the clutch disc. Compare these to the new ones.

9) Remove the flywheel. Chances are if you have never replaced you clutch, it's scorched worse than you think. For $25 have the flywheel resurfaced. People will tell you that it is unneccessary, but the one time I tried it myself with sandpaper I was extremely pissed at how poorly the clutch broke in because of the inconsistancies of the flywheel surface.

10) Reinstall everything using the opposite of these instructions.

11) Bleed the clutch system.

12) Follow the instructions on breaking in the clutch to the "T" to make sure it gets broken in correctly and will work well for you.

So there you have it. We got to the point where we could drop a tranny in about an hour and have a total job done in under 4 hours (not counting breaks, etc).

I'm in the middle of replacing my 94 - all the above is excellent advice.
Some minor item, if I may,
Go to the parts store and ask the guy for the best penetrating oil that have. Soak every bolt that is rusted again and again. It will make your life so much easier when you go to take em out. Mine was up on jacks for for a day and I soaked everything in sight. The cross over, O2s and Cat were no problem.

I thought the T-case on my 94 had bolts and a guide pin. I could not figure out why it was on so tight and was so hard to break from the tranny. There was a was a frickin roll pin in there!!! Watch out for that one

Make sure you are sitting down when you buy the gasket between the t-case and tranny Ford price $67

Did the guys mention the disconnect tool for the clutch slave line above ?

I was going to buy a O2 sensor wrench but I found a 7/8th box\open end works great.

Always be careful - jack that thing up solid... the things you are taking out, smart like hell if they fall on you .. you'll do fine. good luck

:) I finally had the oppurtunity saturday to start OPERATING! on my navajo and by sunday morning it's back on the road again, and runs like brand new. I had help dropping the trans and all other parts. they had to leave so I had to put it back together by myself, not too much fun, but very gratifying when finished. Especially since it worked.
I replaced the clutch disk, slave cylinder, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and the rear main seal( every part basically except the flywheel which was in great shape. Total time took me 12 hours, that's with 4 runs to the parts store ( I need the hydraulic disconnect tool, ATF for the trans and transfer case, food, beer etc. I did not remove the y pipe but did disconnect the transfer case.

Anyways thanks again for all the tips and advice.

CoryL you are the man for doing it in 4 hours!

Dan

You are the man for taking it on!
Great going !!!
You show me plenty!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

This is kind of outdated but I am going to do just this project next. I just purchased a Flowmaster cat back system and after reading this thread, will replace it when I replace the clutch. Will also be adding a trans cooler and replacing the three rubber plugs at top of tranny at same time. I also want to get a new shifter to replace at the same time, anything on the market for a 92 sport manual transmission shifter? Thanks and great thread.

a little bump to get some more insight....thanks.

Back