• Register Today It's free!

reverse but no forward gears

mutlyi4

Reaction score
City, State
sanford Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer xlt
ok i just got this explorer the previous owner had an accident pulled it off the road had it towed home fixed the damage then when he started it to move it it only had reverse this is a 5.0l 4x4/awd model anyone have any ideas why it would lose forward gears all of the sudden without any warning he said it was not slipping or hard shifting prior i just hope it something simple not the trans it self

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi
Welcome to the forum.

As silly as it sounds, have you checked all the fuses? There are 2 fuse boxes to look through. The transmission is electronically controlled, it's worth a look.

Also, could be a connector was disconnected in the accident-or during repairs. Check the transmission harness ( black square box right above the intake plennum on the firewall) is seated. You might loosen the center bolt, unplug it, blow some air on it and reconnect.
There is a shift position sensor on the driver side of the transmission. It could be damaged or disconnected. Follow the wiring around the transmission and look for visible damage.

My buddy just got a F150 (same tranny as an EX) and it does the same thing. Turns out I believe it was the forward drum had damage so it was time for a rebuild or replace. He found a place online that sells a stage 1 4R70W which comes with all the upgraded parts and a Trannsgo shift kit for $1300 after shipping and no core charge.

That's what I'm getting when the time comes.

Hi
Welcome to the forum.

As silly as it sounds, have you checked all the fuses? There are 2 fuse boxes to look through. The transmission is electronically controlled, it's worth a look.

Also, could be a connector was disconnected in the accident-or during repairs. Check the transmission harness ( black square box right above the intake plennum on the firewall) is seated. You might loosen the center bolt, unplug it, blow some air on it and reconnect.
There is a shift position sensor on the driver side of the transmission. It could be damaged or disconnected. Follow the wiring around the transmission and look for visible damage.

fuses are all good and everything is plugged in i will try reseating all the plugs today thank you for the help

My buddy just got a F150 (same tranny as an EX) and it does the same thing. Turns out I believe it was the forward drum had damage so it was time for a rebuild or replace. He found a place online that sells a stage 1 4R70W which comes with all the upgraded parts and a Trannsgo shift kit for $1300 after shipping and no core charge.

That's what I'm getting when the time comes.

it maybe that time i will probably try to rebuild it my self i am a mechanic by trade and own a shop just never done transmissions lol but really don't want to spend a lot so maybe ill take the risk

Your like me then, built dozens of motors, rears, and can fix most anything but I just never did an automatic.

Good luck!

What condition is the fluid? When you say they towed it do you know if it was on a tilt bed or 2 wheel lift? 2 wheel lift and not removing a drive shaft will give you some problems.

What condition is the fluid? When you say they towed it do you know if it was on a tilt bed or 2 wheel lift? 2 wheel lift and not removing a drive shaft will give you some problems.
not sure i would assume a flatbed but again i would have to as by any chance would you know what modle trans it would have in it and fluid is new along with filter via previous owner trying to get it going

4R70W is trans type. These are noted for breaking the forward drum which would explain no movement forward. Was vehicle driven after accident?

4R70W is trans type. These are noted for breaking the forward drum which would explain no movement forward. Was vehicle driven after accident?
only 50 ft or so according to the p/o just to get it off the street into a parking space

ok i just got this explorer the previous owner had an accident pulled it off the road had it towed home fixed the damage then when he started it to move it it only had reverse this is a 5.0l 4x4/awd model anyone have any ideas why it would lose forward gears all of the sudden without any warning he said it was not slipping or hard shifting prior i just hope it something simple not the trans it self
I have the same problem with my 99 explorer and I just got it just reverse and no forward

At all? What about manual 1 and 2?

Back