Riding down the freeway | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Riding down the freeway

Well, since these truck feel like they can't get out of their own way on hills, making you feel like you are abusing the engine, I'm goin to suggest we need to get that fixed. Driving along, tap brakes and cruise cnrtl turns off for the corners, resume button takes you back to speed. If the cruise control can keep it in the power band without illuminating a cel, I think you will be fine. Gotta push the pedal , give it a downshift sometimes to maintain speed.

Joney needs some buttons to push. Anybody have spares?
Wasn't like the engine sounded like it was straining, didn't pay attention but didn't notice RPM going way up. Used to do cruise control a lot in my 82 Crown Vic. Would CC keep it up with traffic smoothly? Really have to top it off at the gas station, otherwise if I believe the gauge, I only got 10.4 MPG! Was on the pedal a lot trying to keep up. Only about 300 lbs of cargo and full gas tank for load. Most likely going with the scenic route next time! Hopefully some of this ride was an " Italian Tune Up"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't knock it...
You Aerostar fans, do you ever use them for camping? I'm planning on using my Ex for that at the state parks very soon. Seems big enough for my purposes, but a lot of people use vans. And what drivetrains are on your Aerostars? I see very few of them around here, and more Chevys than I'd expect.

You Aerostar fans, do you ever use them for camping? I'm planning on using my Ex for that at the state parks very soon. Seems big enough for my purposes, but a lot of people use vans. And what drivetrains are on your Aerostars? I see very few of them around here, and more Chevys than I'd expect.
I use mine like a 1 ton truck. A pallet of drywall or 300 sq/ft of stone tile, no problem. The aerostar had a few engine options over the years. Most common is the 3.0 or 4.0. If you have 2 bench seats for the 2nd and 3rd rows, they fold flat into a bed.

I replaced almost everything in my suspension, including all of the shocks and used polyurethane sway bar bushings, also new front control arms with urethane bushings and installed Moog serviceable ball joints with the zerk fittings for grease. I also replaced my steering rack and hubs, along with higher performance brakes (stock sizes, just better parts that cool better and better frictions). My truck is not lifted and I roll on Toyo ATs in 30x9.50x15. The Mountaineer is super smooth at highway speeds and handles great. It has plenty of power as well, but wouldn't mind a bit more when I get around to it! 136K on the odo.

@Rick here are the pictures from that eventful day. I'm fortunate the driveshaft launched into orbit instead of going through someone's windshield. I went back later to see if I could find it, never did. About 4 feet of driveshaft was missing.

IMG_20131107_110932_610.jpg IMG_20131107_110917_856.jpg

Curious question: you who drive the 2nd gen stock Explorers (first gen too). Do you do the 75+ mph to keep up with traffic on the interstates or freeways, or do you go slower/pick a 2 lane hwy. Have to admit doing those tight sweeping turns at speed makes me a touch nervous, but don't want to be "that gal" who slows up traffic (yeah, even the right lane on I-94 goes pretty fast). Could take a 2-lane route and save gas also, will add more than a little time to the trip. Considering every other time I've driven at speed was in a sedan. What's your preference?
We have a 96 4dr. 4wd. 200k+ miles. Rear shocks have spring support. ALL bushings are top of the line. Front chassis parts replaced. Drives like a dream at 80mph. We live in SW Virginia in the mountains, no issues driving fast.

We have a 96 4dr. 4wd. 200k+ miles. Rear shocks have spring support. ALL bushings are top of the line. Front chassis parts replaced. Drives like a dream at 80mph. We live in SW Virginia in the mountains, no issues driving fast.
In my 99 sohc 2wd with 266k I can do 85 90 all day long now going up hill kinda sucks sometimes especially on long grades but then again it's old lol

I drive both my lifted Ex's (93 stick and 98 v8) at or above speed limits. It's hard enough winding up that 4.0l on 33's to get to 65, so the only thing im dropping for a turn that looks iffy is the gear. ( ie: westbound I-10 exit for Hwy 71 in TX)

Fun factoid, I drove to Austin at 75mph with a missing front sway bar link and never noticed until I got to my destination. Wide tires FTW.

I don't recommend people drive like me, just do what feels safe, but if you can't trust your vehicle at highway speeds, then get it off the damn highway.

Cruise control should keep up.

Question @joney

You mention no cel. Does the check engine light turn on with key on?
@joney just want to make sure the bulb is not burned out.

@joney just want to make sure the bulb is not burned out.
Checking that and an few things today. I don't like the brake pedal- goes too far down and isn't consistent! Pads and rotors OK,
Those of us who don't drive ford in general and exploder in particular don't have to worry about any of that.
With your particular concern, check the rear bushing on the right front lower control arm - that thing is very close to catalytic converter and deteriorates real fast from heat thus greatly contributes to dismal exploder handling. This is one of the reasons the tires blow up in hot temperatures. The issue was first reported in Panama 30+ years ago but ford never really fixed the problem. There is a funny little "shield" around that bushing that hardly helps.
Interesting point, fortunately had that replaced earlier this year. Will look at the shield situation. I do remember the tire issues were worst in hot climates. Not that the handling is bad, it's my first vehicle that's not a sedan, it drives like a truck, chassis basically IS truck type.

When I had my Mountaineer, I drove it like I drive anything else. I've always been used to lower cars (I'm a BMW nut, if you couldn't tell from my name) so it was a little weird at first, but the size of the Explorer is very easy to get used to. That's one of the reasons I love these trucks.
Anyway, I had no problem cruising at 80 on the highway. On back roads, I would take corners about as fast as I would in my other cars, and the truck handled it fine. Obviously keep in mind you're in a higher profile vehicle, particularly one that's known for being top heavy.
I don't think there's anything special to keep in mind while driving one of these though. Honestly, I'm more careful driving my dad's 3rd gen, simply because the seats have no lateral support, unlike my Mountaineer did. You slide all around if you're not careful. Much better back and head rests though!

I’ve NEVER felt that I was going to tip or slide on a road that was made for those speeds. But PLEASE, do not for a second let yourself feel unsafe because of concern for other people’s feelings - slow down and don’t worry about it. Have a mechanic check your suspension (sway bars and such) for peace of mind.
Same here. I keep mine at the max pressure on the tire - 35 PSI and have no handling problems - do scare the tailgaters when I go around corners in the Arkansas river canyon between Canyon City and Salida, but I have been driving that road for over 45 years and know every curve and how to drive in every weather condition - the 55MPH road that I drive at a steady 60 MPH are 20 MPH roads when it is freezing out and the river sparay or the snow melt have froze to the road

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A Queen air mattress fits in the rear with the seats folded down quite well.

Back