Rip 1994 xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rip 1994 xlt

Okay, this is kinda hard to write, but here it goes. Today around 4pm I was driving home from a buddies house in my SAS'd 94, the same truck in my signature. Was driving down the road, going through a bend in the road towards a stoplight, when all of a sudden the steering locked. It wasn't a failure in my steering setup or the steering gear, it was like someone pulled the keys out of the truck. The truck didnt stall, it was still running and in gear.

I instantly slammed the clutch and dropped it into 2nd gear and hit the brakes, slowing from around 50 to 25-30mph. I couldn't turn so I didn't complete the curve, instead going straight towards the opposite shoulder. A car in the opposite lane swerved to avoid me, but I'm not sure if it was adrenaline or poor choices that made him swerve INTO me. He hit me in the passenger side front tire and sent my truck flying, I landed on my roof in a ditch in heavy brush.

It's pretty bad...my truck is toast. The Dana 44 is twisted like a piece of pasta...the radius arms are like some gigantic toddler got pissed and decided to take it out on my truck. I'm perfectly fine, no injuries amongst me or the other car. The cops who arrived said it was a no-fault accident, I didnt get a ticket but the other guy got one for not wearing his seatbelt. We both got trips in ambulances to the hospital, where we were both cleared.

So, rest in piece Midnight. You were a good truck.

Going to part her out, try and salvage some of the money I've put into her and buy a little daily driver. When tax time comes I'll buy another RBV or maybe a full size bronco and get back to it.

I'll add pictures tomorrow when the truck comes home to get parted out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sounds scary, what a bummer.
Hey was your ignition sloppy at all? Mine is all loose and you gotta kind of hold the key AND the wings of the ignition when you turn it or it doesn't turn equally. One of those things I have wondered about..

that sucks - glad your still here to tell the tail

that sux bout ur 94 xlt but glad u didnt get hurt at all

what r u gonna buy now since ur 94 xlt r.i.p.

Thats crazy, like the worst possible random thing that could happen.

If somehow you can get the parts of your suspension lift off I'd buy em off you when you part it out

Aw man sorry to hear that, as they say, trucks can be replaced, we cannot. At least your okay, your Ex took its life to save yours.

dude, that blows...

you really gotta stop gettin hit!

Well now I'm fighting with the towing company the state police called, they're charging me totally inflated prices for towing my truck 2 miles to their shop and won't let me touch it without paying first.

I dont know what all happened to my truck's front suspension honestly, last time I saw her she only had one coil left. Idk if the other one exploded out into the woods or if they tossed it in the back, only time will tell. I'll probably buy elite and put some stuff up here for you guys to check out and purchase. I know for sure I've got the body lift parts, the rear suspension stuff, driveshafts, etc. But the front end might be a total loss. Once she's home I'll post pictures.

Now that Midnight is dead...I'm thinking I'll start over with a Bronco 2 or a Ranger. Probably a Bronco 2, I always liked how modifiable they were with little investment. Plus all my Exploder knowledge transfers over! :)

156621_1740198262504_1165085593_3481558_6557881_n.jpg

69724_1740198342506_1165085593_3481559_2202596_n.jpg

156359_1740198902520_1165085593_3481562_7178352_n.jpg

The dana 44 actually came out OK, one of the lockout hubs is trashed from smashing its face on the road but otherwise its good. I'm parting her out now, so if anybody is interested in anything let me know.

Wow, your so lucky to be alright, your front end is completely trashed.

You got warrior shackles and aal's in the back right? How much would you willing to get rid of those for?

Well now I'm fighting with the towing company the state police called, they're charging me totally inflated prices for towing my truck 2 miles to their shop and won't let me touch it without paying first.

I had the same issues, ended up paying out of pocket and having it all refunded by AAA. On top of all that, most of the employees of the towing company were completely unprofessional. Gotta say I hate how sky high their rates and charges are, good luck man.

If you do have lift shackles and keithisg doesn't bite on them I would like to be next in line pending their condition.

Glad to hear you are ok. Once I was in our dune buggy riding shotgun and the steering locked and we plowed a tree at 30mph. Its a pretty helpless feeling.

Oh that'll buff right out!!! :p:

Glad to hear your okay, must have been a helluva impact to send you tail over into a ditch!!!

As I told keithisg, I don't have WAR shackles or anything like that. I have shackles I built myself out of bar steel and grade 8 bolts and my leaf springs are f150 leafs bolted to an explorer main leaf. It would be rediculous to ship the leaf springs when you can get them at the JY yourself. The shackles are fine, if youre still interested PM me.

Also, lets not turn this into a parting out thread. Don't wanna break the forum rules. PM me if youre interested in something.

Wow that is some serious carnage. What did you find out with the ignition switch? I am curious and also concerned as to why that happened in the first place....

I tore the steering column apart and couldn't find anything amiss with the key cylinder or actual ignition system. What I did notice, however, was that the small metal bar that locks the steering wheel was heavily scored and looked like it was grinded down on something...I don't know if this is the cause of my problem or not, but it could've been.

Glad you're ok. Too bad about the '94. Is it a little ironic that your profile name is "Suddendeath" and that is what happened...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back