Rocker Sliders

CodePoet

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
Ok yall, the explorer is comming to indy soon! I have to get it ready for a club run in july and will be putting sliders on (SAS won't be finished :( ). Anyway I want to remove the old rockers and replace them with 2x4 steel box. I have seen it done on jeeps, and on early broncos. Here's what I need from yall. Pictures of explorers sans rockers, an idear of what i'm getting myself into, or just thoughts. These will hopefully replace my cancerous stock rockers and probably will also be tied into the from like a traditional rocker. It may just replace the rockers and not tie into the body at all but would still be tucked nicely out of the way. I haven't seen it done on an explorer but surely it can be done.

hope someone can help :D

Here's a good write-up i found on an early bronco. They brought up a good point about NOT welding the slider/rockers to the body a couple posts down. http://www.broncoholics.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1416

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The best one I know that has done that, I don't have pictures of. Paul Bredehoft had his rockers cut off and put some 2x6 I believe right up under there. I'll see if I can get a couple pics of it.

Sweet man thanks. I really like the idea of doing it like this. Since i'll only be on 31"s until the sas is finished I need all the ground clearance i can get!

So far this is the best (pretty crappy) picture I could find . You can tell that the rock sliders are right under the bottom of the door. You know what, I'll go take a couple pictures of it tonight.

509527_80_full.jpg

Thanks bud!!!! From that pic they look really good. I mainly wonder how it is all tied together. The goal is to increase strenght..they WILL get used at badlands haha

Back