Rough Country 4" suspension lift kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough Country 4" suspension lift kit

SVTruner94

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Hey guys i am looking into lifting my stock 94' explorer sport i was looking at the rough country kit and was wondering if anyone else has any feedback on the kit or different kits i should look at besides superlift. Thanks :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I never liked the Rough Country kit because of the drop-plate extension it uses to lower the stock axle bracket, which has been known to bust open the front differential housing. If you're on a limited budget, I'd look at the Tuff Country lift, otherwise Skyjacker makes some real nice kits that can hold up to some good use.

Stay away from Superlift as well. Though they don't use the drop plate design anymore, their brackets are still known to break if used hard.

the Rough Country isnt a bad buy for the money. but like 4x4Junkie said, if you have the money for a skyjacker then go for it. only issue i have had on my Rough Country lift was that the drivers side beam bracket cracked and broke in the regular mounting points. as long as you have the bump stops in place you shouldn't hit the front diff on the drop bracket. mine are in place and my differential is unscathed.

I'm also going to give a +1 on the Rough Country kit.

Idk if you're going to be a "hard" wheeler but for a guy who just occasionally goes off road it is working fine for its purpose.

Skyjacker kit works well but the finish on the parts I bought from them look really bad fast. I like the James Duff kit I have also. Skyjacker used to be the only one making a 6-8 pitman arm in case you are looking to do a spring over rear. I really like Superlifts long add a leaf and there shocks ride well too.

My 88 BII has a 5.5 Skyjacker lift with long radius arms and the new rear leaf springs. Skyjacker was the only one offering 5.5 leaf spring packs when I purchased. Duff came out with some after that but I don't know if they still make them. Others sell 4" max rear springs and use other means to get to 5.5-6" rear lift. My 94 Explorer now has a Duff 2.5 kit with a Superlift long rear aal. I run 33x10.5x15 on both when I wheel.

BDS, Rough Country and maybe someone else use the plate to drop the stock bracket down. Read where some foks ground down the fins or ribs on the front chunk to clear. Tuff Country, Superlift, Skyjacker, and James Duff kits all have new drop brackets that clear the front center section.

Skyjacker kit works well but the finish on the parts I bought from them look really bad fast. I like the James Duff kit I have also. Skyjacker used to be the only one making a 6-8 pitman arm in case you are looking to do a spring over rear. I really like Superlifts long add a leaf and there shocks ride well too.

My 88 BII has a 5.5 Skyjacker lift with long radius arms and the new rear leaf springs. Skyjacker was the only one offering 5.5 leaf spring packs when I purchased. Duff came out with some after that but I don't know if they still make them. Others sell 4" max rear springs and use other means to get to 5.5-6" rear lift. My 94 Explorer now has a Duff 2.5 kit with a Superlift long rear aal. I run 33x10.5x15 on both when I wheel.

BDS, Rough Country and maybe someone else use the plate to drop the stock bracket down. Read where some foks ground down the fins or ribs on the front chunk to clear. Tuff Country, Superlift, Skyjacker, and James Duff kits all have new drop brackets that clear the front center section.

For what it's worth I did the 4" Rough Country with spring over in the rear and it came out fine. The rear (supposedly) is an inch and a half higher this way but with worn out rear springs it's not much of an issue. Not to mention a little bit of rake like that isn't all too noticeable.

first Heres my input, I have RC now, been running for about 2 years... only problem was a bad gromet in the leaf back, which they over nighted new ones free of charge...

secondly Tuff Country is ummm yeah cheap for a reason, ive heard a few different horror stories with those, however you will hear horror stories for every kit

third is what do you want the lift for, body lift might be cheaper in the long rung

fourth James Duff has a awesome kit that will give you everything you will need

when i bought the rc lift it did NOT come with ext brake lines not ex sway bar links, the rear sway bar will be eliminated with the RC lift. so those are things to buy also. also go for the nitrogen shock upgrade, those are better. mine has last two years like i said only one problem they fixed and it sees a lot of mudd... lots.... i have more problems with other parts in the truck then i do the lift kit.

i had the rc lift on my first outing i broke a hole threw the top of the pumpkin. if your into hard wheeling this is not the kit.
2011-09-25_18-09-15_171.jpg

i have the rough country on mine right now. i have not done what happened to corncobbcolin, but i have come down pretty hard many times. with stock bump stops.
if you get the kit and add coil spacers for another 1-1.5" you should avoid that problem, deff need to fix the camber after that tho

You know I can't remember what bump stops was on there. In a way it was a blessing cause it got me motivated to do my solid axle swap. Its hard to sa y at what point I broke it that day I put the truck through hell that day.

Back