• Register Today It's free!

Rough Idling / Stalling Problem

danj_91xplr

Reaction score
City, State
Richland, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
When I go to start up my truck, especially in hot weather, it will either idle very rough or it will stall out unless I keep some pressure on the throttle. I cannot put the truck in gear without one foot on the throttle and one foot on the brake, and I have to drive it for about 2-3 minutes before the truck will actually be able to run on it's own. I recently cleaned the K&N Air filter on the truck, I also replaced the plugs and wires (even spending the extra money for good plugs and wires at that). Any ideas?

I just went and took a multi-meter to the TPS and checked the resistance. The resistance with no petal applied is approximately 3 ohms. When I press down on the accelerator, the resistance is reduced to approximately 1 ohm. So that rules out the TPS as being bad.

After going through the manual, I checked the IAC and it is within spec, which is 7 ohms to 13 ohms...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No CEL??

I would double check your work on the wires and plugs.

Sure you didn't accidently disconnect a vacuum line?

Also have you tried disconnecting the battery after the plug change??

When was the last time you cleaned your MAF?

Pull the codes. It can throw a code without kicking the CEL on. Also, check your vacuum lines at the vacuum tree on the drivers side near the firewall.

I have not checked the MAF as of yet, that is my next step. The other thing is how in the world do I check my codes w/o a code reader? The shop manual I have doesn't specify where and how to do it.

Thanks

marragtop said:
It can throw a code without kicking the CEL on. Also, check your vacuum lines at the vacuum tree on the drivers side near the firewall.

What is the CEL?

Also, the vacuum lines where repaired a couple months ago when we where having problems with rough idle and stalling. In the midst of them finding a bad o2 sensor they found a vacuumm leak in the system.

CEL= Check Engine Light
You could go down to Autozone, or somewhere like it and see if they will scan the computer for you for free, they do it here.
There is a way to pull em without a scanner, but its better to go and buy the $35 dollar scanner. Mine has paid for itself many times over already.

Well, here is the problem, the truck is not road worthy right now. It needs a lot of work, not to mention the fact that it's not licensed right now. So, I have to check the codes myself.

Back