Rubicon-Aug. 28-Sept. 1st. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rubicon-Aug. 28-Sept. 1st.

Tom, don't let me sway yoour plans at all. I'm just coming along as a guest on this one :D

Man, it's a loooong trip to Lake Tahoe from here, almost 800 miles. Where is Loon Lake in relation to Lake Tahoe?

Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rick, what's a few hundred extra miles :). It was 760 to Moab for me and over 1100 to Salida for the Colors run last fall. It's about 450 to Lake Tahoe for Tom (FAKRWEE) and me (I guess I'm about 40 miles closer than he).
Loon Lake is about 15-20 miles east of Lake Tahoe. Placerville (were Tom suggests we stay the night before) is about halfway between Lake Tahoe and Sacramento on Highway 50.

my oh my..

We (Ji, Baexploder, and me) just got back after a weekend in the forest around Rubicon.

Ji tricked us, and lead us down onto the trail via Lake Mckinsy (?). We wanted to head on down to Loon Lake - figuring it was easy, since when Ji did it last year, there was bypass's to the two hard obstacles between the granite bowl and Loon Lake.

We took a stock explorer in this way, and boy.. it was hell! :) The lifted trucks (Ji's and mine) had no real problems. The stocker - oh boy. Before anyone posts, Yes, we know, a stock explorer really shouldn't be on the Rubicon We took it in, thinking the bypasses was open.

Many bypass have been CLOSED on the Rubicon.

We have video of what we did to get the stock 4dr through the section of trail. It simply amazed many people (commments where all over the place)

Also - it's pretty extreme. Even trying to be carefull, you will pickup body damage on this trail. They have tried to add many squeeze points - with no bypasses.

I'll be posting photos tomorrow - Not enough time to download them from the camera and uploading them to my machine.

I'm not going to be meeting you guys in Placerville, that's way out of my way. I guess I'll meet up with you at Loon Lake. I plan on spending a nice comfortable night in a hotel after driving from Phoenix, then I'll be ready for camping on the trail.

Tom, I just bought a set of 35-13.50x15 Baja Claws. I guess I'll find out how well they work, I don't know anyone else who has them yet. I needed a set of 10" wide rims to go with them as Mickey Thompson doesn't reccomend 8" rims for those tires.

Rick, I said Loon Lake is east of Lake Tahoe. Wrong, it is WEST. Sorry about that.
Where are you planning on staying? South Lake Tahoe has some good places.

I was planning on staying in South Lake Tahoe, or maybe somewhere along the route from Phoenix. That would help shorten the drive if I stayed somewhere along the way.

Hi guys,
Rick I'm doing the same thing you are, getting a good nights sleep the night before we hit the trail. How many days do you have available, if we hit the trail Tuesday morning how long can you stay and play. Same to you Peter.

Peter are we going in my car or do you want to take yours. Bring a lot of film.

T.Davis I'm glad you tried the Rubicon, no one believes how tough it is until you run it. Glad to hear everyone was oK. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Hasta Pronto
Tom

Guys,
Sidekick puts out a map for the Rubicon trail and is pretty good. They sell it in 4x4 stores. If you can't find it you can order it at 909-628-7227. This is Rick Russell's company. Tell em I sent you.
Tom

I can play as long as you would like :D A week wouldn't be out of line.

Rick

Tom, not to worry about having enough film.
Going up together in your Navajo would make sense at first glance. I assume you're planning on going up 5. That'll put you within 15 miles of my place (118 west).
I don't know how long you want to stay up there in 'Gold Country' after the Rubicon. I was hoping to get back by late Friday (company coming for Labor day that I mentioned earlier, etc). That means I would have to hit road around noon on Friday to get home. If you and Rick want to stay longer, I'll drive up myself. We could still convoy on the way up.
For all the little details to be worked out (camping gear, food, etc.) we still have plenty of time. Maybe we should do that via e-mail. My e-mail address is in my profile, so just click on the 'mail' button under this message.

Hi Peter,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you I was out on the road and don't carry a lap top.
I think it's a good idea to travel together. I can swing buy and pick you up. We can get together later on and talk about the gear we're taking.
Friday is also my return date. That will give us 4 days on Rubicon. It'll give us enough time to take it easy and maybe do some exploring.
Talk ta ya soon
Tom
P.S. Do you have any days off next week. I'm planning to do a one day trip to Big Bear to try out the new transfer case. Let me know.

Tom, Big Bear sounds great. Just name the day. I think I can run most of the trails there in my own truck.

TomF - if you can go monday/tuesday, I can show up too! (Ok, so it's a 8 hr drive.. I'll do it! :D)

later

Peter how does Wed. or Thursday sound. And your right your truck should'nt have any problems at all. I am plannig to do the John Bull trail which is hard but we can park your rig and then come back for it. It's only a small section. Do you have a CB I have a portable one I can bring along.
I'm going away this weekend but I'll be back on Monday. I'm e-mailing you my phone number so we can talk when I get back.
This is a perfect trip to pactice spoting, and believe your going to do a lot of it on Rubicon.
Tom

T.Davis, that would be cool but I'm returnig late Monday night from Vegas and tuesday my wife has a Company picknic I have to go to. Last year I was able to talk my way out of it with the promise I would'nt miss this years. And woman have historical memories, they never ever forget anything. But maybe we can hook up some weekend.
Tom

Tom, Wed. or Thur., either is fine with me. I have a portable CB, so communication on the trail won't be a problem.
I'll call you about details were to meet etc. Tuesday evening.
TDavis, to bad you can't make it later in week.

No problem. I know about the memory problem. :D

Peter - get pics of the modified suspension. I'd like to see it.

[Edited by tdavis on 06-30-2000 at 12:07 PM]

I'm trying to get a couple frinds of mine to come along for the run. One would be a passenger and the other has a built TJ.

No problem Rick glad to have your friends along, su amigo es mi amigo. I also might have another rig along.
Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FYI..

Little Sluice's configuration changed last Saturday night. There was somebody playing on some rocks that where delicately balanced, and they tipped over. Supposedly, it's still passable (barely) (Jeep Jamboree is going to be scratching their heads on this one). More information as they post it (this info was on Pirate 4x4

Back