• Register Today It's free!

Rubicon end of Sept

Bobbed Ranger

Reaction score
City, State
Essex county NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
My club and I are shipping our rigs to Oakland and hitting the Rubicon Trail, Are there any other trails in that area we can hit durring the rest of the week?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shipping your vehicles from the east coast!?!:eek: That's hardcore!!!:cool: How many are going?

four are ready to go from our last meeting...out of the 6 regular members there, (not counting the newbie stockers, we are taking them out this Sunday)

we all have at least 4:1 case and lockers

Originally posted by Brian1
Check out the Fordyce trail while you are there. Have fun!

Can you tell me where on a map that would be? I've only wheeled in CA once before, riding shotgun in Big Bear, with the Riverside Ruff Riders

Looks to be about 20 miles NW of Lake Tahoe, north of I-80.

Try this site:

http://www.californiajeeper.com/

Why Oakland? Shipping them by boat?

I work in downtown Oakland.. if your shipping them by truck, Tahoe would be better destination.

Originally posted by Bobbed Ranger
Can you tell me where on a map that would be? I've only wheeled in CA once before, riding shotgun in Big Bear, with the Riverside Ruff Riders

Go to the link tdavis gave and then go to Fordyce Creek under trail maps. It shows where it is pretty good. I have never been there but have heard alot about it.

The 3rd major trail in California is the Dusy-Ershim. It's also on that site.

If your coming this far, you probably want to do the rubicon, fordyce, and dusy-ershim. Dusy takes the most time, since it's a real isolated trail.

Originally posted by tdavis
Try this site:

Why Oakland? Shipping them by boat?

I work in downtown Oakland.. if your shipping them by truck, Tahoe would be better destination.

The club has a connection with a container company...train :D

Would you guys mind PMing me with your e-mail address, other members of my club have some questions

Any pics of the rigs you guys have?

Sounds like a plan. Just to give you a heads up i believe the last weekend of september is the pirates of the rubicons annual clean up run so it will be pretty busy that weekend on the trail (if you do the trail on a weekend)

Fordyce is a very nice trail as well. It is right off of I80 near truckee depending on water flow from the river can make the crossings interesting. I had water over my hood at one point with a disconnected air intake on my truck. can easily be ran in a day with no breakage and not getting stuck behind people un prepared for the trail.

Dusy Ershim trail is also a nice trail I have been half way through and other than a snapped sector shaft and bad ignition module it was an enjoyable run :rolleyes: It is 33 mile long trail with about 100 miles between the closest gas stations. Could do it pretty easily in 3 days with no traffic and built rigs.

If you are coming this far you may want to also hit swamp lake trail. I have never done it but its +- 10 miles from the start of the dusy and can be run in a day with no breakage. I walked about about a mile of it ( was bymyself so no hard trails that day) and it looked pretty passable in my truck though my clutch may have had other ideas.

The dusy and swamp are about 2-3 hours east of fresno off of the 168 highway and down dinkey creek road.

Any other questions send me an email and Ill see how I can help. offroader3@juno.com

Originally posted by DB_1
Any pics of the rigs you guys have?

Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

Thanks for the pics:D looks very cool, i might do the same thing one day or ditch the whole bed all together.

Did you have to cut off the frame any or does that bumper cover up the ends?
Dave

Originally posted by DB_1
Thanks for the pics:D looks very cool, i might do the same thing one day or ditch the whole bed all together.

Did you have to cut off the frame any or does that bumper cover up the ends?
Dave

I cut the frame close to the spring hangers

Originally posted by Bobbed Ranger
I cut the frame close to the spring hangers
I can tell you did careful work...The pinstripes aren't crooked!:)
-Ken

Trails around the Rubicon

There are some other good trails that are around the rubicon area. You have Deer Valley Trail off of hwy 88 just south of Tahoe. Theres Fordyce Creek Trail north of Tahoe off of I 80 at Eagle Lakes road. Also you have Barney Riley Trail off hwy 89 south of Markleeville. there also many other trails up around the area. also check out www.sierrastompers.org and www.pirate4x4.com also my friends cite www.4wheelnoffroad.com .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back