Running boards | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Running boards

imanony

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
What do you guys thing about installing running boards on ST? I asked the dealership guy who sold me my ST and he said not to do it because Explorers are not that high and clearance is not enough for running board and it'll hit the road when going over a bump.
Has anyone of you installed running boards on your 2020 explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would be a heck of a speed bump, but if you going to do any driving in the snow or off road it may become an issue.

Wouldn't bother. It will be ackward stepping up on it then only another inch or 2 to get inside. Nothing like a full size truck. It's not like a full double step to get in.

I believe the ground clearance (8.3) is similar to the 5th gen where several members did install running boards. The reason some gave was that it made it easier for small children and some older persons to get in. I think the majority did it just for appearance and I never saw any posts about the 'boards' hitting anything. I never considered installing them on the vehicles I've owned but then it always comes down to personal choice.

Peter

So i'm going for the running boards. Have a 7 years old who has little difficulty getting in. But I couldn't find one for 2020 model on ford parts website. Online search revealed couple of sites but don't know any reviews about those. Do you guys have any recommendation? What running boards you installed on your 2020?

I don't believe anyone has posted about installing them on a 2020 yet. Have you confirmed that the 5th gen boards won't fit? I know the wheelbase was extended 6" on the 2020. There is a thread in the 5th gen. if interested in some info: Running Boards - DeeZee and Others

Peter

I don't believe anyone has posted about installing them on a 2020 yet. Have you confirmed that the 5th gen boards won't fit? I know the wheelbase was extended 6" on the 2020. There is a thread in the 5th gen. if interested in some info: Running Boards - DeeZee and Others

Peter
I havent confirmed but I assumed they wont fit. The Ford parts website doesnt show running boards for 2020. I would assume they would point to same 5th gen for 2020 if they'd fit.

You may be right but Ford is known for taking time to update items/features.

Peter

Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone installed running boards on their 2020 explorer? Ford website still does not have running boards for 2020. So if you have installed can you share which ones?

I just saw an ST with running boards about 3 weeks ago. Not sure who it was, but it’s been done. They looked like they tucked tight up against the body.

The boards looked a lot like these on Amazon. Snailfly Fit for 2020 2021 Ford Explorer Side Steps Running Boards Footboard Amazon.com: Snailfly Fit for 2020 2021 Ford Explorer Side Steps Running Boards Footboard: Automotive

Thanks, just placed an order for the stainless steel ones. They are looking good. Lets see how they are.

I searched and only found a thread from 2019. Anyway, I assumed Ford offered some running boards for the 6th gens. Bad assumption. So I'm looking for suggestions. I want something to compliment the King Ranch and hopefully not look like an add on.
20210720_135250.jpg
I'm wanting to order some by this weekend. Thanks in advance.

Here's a link to a number of aftermarket boards. Security Check
I have no experience with any but it might help some. No idea why it shows security check, the link is for Carid.

Guessin running boards are not popular with no one hopping into the thread with pics and specific reviews.

Guessin running boards are not popular with no one hopping into the thread with pics and specific reviews.
Your thread was moved to this one on the same topic. Post #11 also has a link for the item. As far as I know, there aren't any members who have posted about installing them on the 6th gen yet.

Peter

Your thread was moved to this one on the same topic. Post #11 also has a link for the item. As far as I know, there aren't any members who have posted about installing them on the 6th gen yet.

Peter
Most forums basically lock old threads which is why I didn't bother to revive a thread over 2 years old.

Most forums basically lock old threads which is why I didn't bother to revive a thread over 2 years old.
They aren't locked here since the topic is still valid and posting in an old thread moves it back to the current page of threads.

Peter

Took a flyer with Steelcraft STX100's. They are in stock and I suspect they'll do the job.

Took a flyer with Steelcraft STX100's. They are in stock and I suspect they'll do the job.
They look good. I don't believe I've seen those installed on the Explorer (5 or 6th gen) before. Please keep us in the loop about the installation and final look. Thanks.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The problem I have had when you putting running boards on vehicles like this is the board is Soo close to the body unlike a truck where it is more spaced.

So when you step into the board, you are so close to the bottom of the door that you baby step in and it feels so wired as opposed to a truck where you step up and then step inside.

I'd find myself not using the boards on vehicles this height because of the ackward step up.

Back