• Register Today It's free!

sas and soa with 6"

tealtterror

Reaction score
City, State
Murfreesboro, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
ok, so ive been thinking about doing a sas and soa with 6 inch lift leafs front and back. at first i thought about coils but to keep cost and fabbing down ive decided to go with leafs front and back. i want d60 front and rear with something like 4:88s. all of this will gove me 12" of lift plus the 3" BL I already have. is this too much for the stock motor. ive been thinking about a 302. did ford make f150 or f250 with d60 front and rear with a 302? might have to get the front d60 from somewhere elseand get the d60 rear with the 302 from the same truck. anyway, give me ideas for steering... i doubt the stock stock steering with hold up to 39s.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

stock steering box will either have to be tapped for hydro assist or scrapped after it breaks.

Why so much lift? what are you building a monster? :) hahaha

the 4.0L will turn those tires with the right gearing, obviously though with all that a 5.0L would be better suited. Your transmission will not hold up forever with all that going on.

i was thinki about going hydrolic steering....... yeah i want a monster.. there are two guys here in the big town of murfreesboro (haha) that have 1500 4x4 on 44s. just want to show them that not only chevys can exceed the limit!

tealtterror said:
all of this will gove me 12" of lift plus the 3" BL I already have. is this too much for the stock motor.
That is just WAY too much lift in general! :thumbdwn:

Please don't get caught up in the mindset that more lift = better. This is simply not true, and in fact, the exact opposite is true. The goal when lifting a vehicle is 1) pick a tire size, and 2) figure out the smallest amount of lift possible to run that tire.

39s are just flat BIG ASS tires, and will strain ANYTHING stock left in your steering and drivetrain. You can pretty much throw away the tranny and t-case, neither are going to last long.

You do know that you are looking at a $15K+ project right?

oh, forgot about steering box... will i need to change that? someone here at home said to get one out of an old f250 but i need to know the part number... you wouldnt happen to know where to look for this would you?

did dana t cases come in f series pickups?

if i can find one or two trucks to get all the drive line from in a parts yards or junk yard then it wont come close to 15 grand. the rest is just 200 for each leaf pair plus shocks and breaklines and all that good stuff. one explensive thing would be to get motor/t case/ tranny rebuilt. but all that wont come to 15000. i can fab up all the parts i need to. im not trying to buy this stuff new!

If you're going that big, why not just put the explorer body on the f-250? I know of at least two people in this forum that has done that: arsoul, & BislamJoe. Here is a link: Ryan's F250/Explorer hybrid

A Superduty steering box will come close to bolting into your Explorer, this would be the way to go....while you are at it you might consider converting the brake system over to the hydraulic booster setup as well, you are going to need it.

IMO you are building a street/mud queen, but I dont friggin care what you build, just do it!!

im just trying to do some homework here before i get to class. and it might happen earlier than expected becuase i think the trans is about to go out... AGAIN. i just got it replaced the summer before last. whats the deal, its not because of the 31s is it? thats just retarded if it is. anyway... peace

ok, so what tranny and t case came with the 302 in the f250s? did dana t cases come in any f250s?

Back