• Register Today It's free!

SAS is now underway!

Ok - the front swap is underway. I will be using:
'75 EB D44
JD 3.5" VR coils
JD radius arm drop brackets
F150 discs and knuckles
JD track-bar mount

Brake lines will be run either to the center of the axle and split there (similar to the EB setup) or run down the frame and back up the RA to avoid the brake lines getting twisted or caught up in the springs.

I will be swapping the yoke in the D44 to match the current driveshaft. Will I have any issues with driveshaft length in the front?

Steering - have some questions here - what is the tie-rod-over-knuckle thing I've heard of?

J

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how much lift will the 3.5" springs give you? That is where I am still hung up on now... (obviously it will be different for me)

The 3.5" springs will give you about 6" of lift if they are mounted on top of the R/A's

J

Good for you, Jon!
How far along on the tear down are you?
Are you taking pic's? :)

Jim

Tear down is done - I am going to take a pic of all the parts laid out before installation. I didn't document the tear-down because, like anything else, the tear down is a piece-of-cake! Re-assembling everything - now that's a different story.

BTW Jim - 15th is ok ;)

J

Cool! Thanks, Jon.

I'd like to see the pics of the parts layout!

Jim

Originally posted by FMExplorer

BTW Jim - 15th is ok ;)

J

thats awesome good luck and take lots of pics, I should not be far behind!

Ok - here's my first OOOPS (aka - OH ****)

Taking the old RA's off the ttb... on bolt is just a bit too tight - so tight in fact it burned my electric impact wrench up! Now I need to find out if I can rebuild it...

CRAP

J

that sucks! time to get out the grinder!

Yeah - it sucks, but now I can upgrade from electric to air :D

Looking at a few air tools on Ebay right now - should run fine on a small compressor. If I can grab an air wrench for app $50 that can twist 400+ I'd be psyched!

J

400+ lbs would be nice. Mine is just a cheepo that came with the compressor, but Dad had the same one just a different name stamped on it and it worked fine for me for years, but it is not a 400+ lbs! I just bought an air ratchet today, talk about something I can't figure out how I have gone so long without. (of course I just got my own compressor at x-mas);)

Speaking of compressors- how big of a tank would I need to run tools that are rated 3-5CFM at 90psi?

J

I have a 22 Gal tank and a 5.5 horsey motor. Came with a few tools and impact sockets from Tractor Supply for around $300 (I think), its a two stage so as far as compressors go it is faily quite.

Others I have used in the past have ranged from 20 - 25 gal and no problems what so ever.

I'm looking samll - like 4-6 gallon tanks... Don't have much room ya know!

J

I hear ya, I park mine under my work bench. Dangit should built the garage a few feet bigger...:D

Jon,
You'll need at least a 25 gallon tank to run tools that are rated 3-5CFM at 90psi...You'll drain a smaller tank too quickly otherwise. A small tank would give you one good blast on the air tool, then pffftt....

pfffftt is a technical term, ya, kno...:)

At lower pressures you'd be ok,tho...Air rachets, Impact wrenches need more volume.

Jim

I found an 8gal compressor for 110 at harbor freight - rated to run 5cfm at 90 psi - for the regular guy at home, will this work?

J

I found an 8gal compressor for 110 at harbor freight - rated to run 5cfm at 90 psi - for the regular guy at home, will this work?

J

The thing is that the compressor motor on the 8 gal tank will run more often to rebuild pressure. I bought my compressor from Sears (where else? :) ) for 249.00 and it has enough volume to spin off 5-7 lug nuts before it drains down enough to trigger the compressor motor.

I guess all i can say is try it and see. Keep your reciept just in case it's not what you need. You'd think they'd let you return it to upgrade to something bigger?

Just my .02

Jim

Steering - have some questions here - what is the tie-rod-over-knuckle thing I've heard of?
J

I will be doing a write up of a high steer conversion (or "tie rod over knuckle" as you refered to it) on a Dana 44 soon. I am awaiting the DOM tube to come in for my drag link and tie rod. Once I make those I will post some pics and the parts needed as well as some suppliers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by taxxman2k
I just bought an air ratchet today, talk about something I can't figure out how I have gone so long without.

Haha, they are a great tool. I have a snap-on 3/8" I use at work, and it must be the best tool I have bought so far!

Back