Saw the 2011 Explorer today - "naked" | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Saw the 2011 Explorer today - "naked"

I haven't spoken up much on here since I don't usually have much to say, but that looks like ass.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The white Explorer pictured is not the 2011 front end ... just a decoy. The other picture is correct ... the nose will be MUCH better than the decoy.

Lets keep an open mind. We have not seen RECENT pictures of an Explorer with Explorer badging on. All this is speculation. Ford is a truck company and they know they have a large loyal truck following to their frame based SUV's and pickups.

I for one won't get my pants all in a twitch if I see the new explorer as a anybody. Look how far Ford has come the past decade with frame strength. The 4th gen explorers' frames are about 400% stiffer than the 1st gen's frames. Unibody design has even come much farther in terms of strength and stiffness in the same time.

Just look at the explorer's rival the grand cherokee. It has always been a unibody design and has a bigger off-road-crowd following than the explorers, and the GC has also always been much more capable off road in stock form the any stock explorer has been.

Unibody designs also allow for more ground clearance.

Lets just hold off on the bashing for now....... at least until after it comes out. ;)

You have some strong points there. I didn't realize unibody tightens up the undercarriage for greater clearance but it makes sense.

I might just be speaking for myself but I think what's rubbing people the wrong way is the feeling that the Explorer has been gradually de-clawed over the years, and the images we're seeing now only confirm that.

Agreed on the 'declawing' but what's sort of baffling to a lot of people is the way a lot of people are looking at the pictures and thinking that Ford is actually going to graft two 5 year old bodies together and call it an Explorer.

They're powertrain mules. They are testing engines, drivetrains, brake systems- the Explorer is NOT going to look like these leaks.

This is the exact reason Ford (and other manufacturers) do this stuff... It's mildly entertaining to watch... :)

Touche, I shouldn't have said confirmed

If the 2011 explorer comes out looking awesome, I'm going to feel stupid, because my wife and I just ordered a new 2010 Eddie Bauer. After all the reading about the new one being a crossover, it turned us off. When you go down the road now, every other vehicle out there is a crossover of some kind and it's even hard to tell them apart and what brand it is. When you see a 06-09 explorer coming towards you, to me they really stands out and looks tough and rugged but also sporty as heck. My wife and I drove a flex and it felt like we were sitting on the ground. Our current Explorer is a 2002 EB that we bought new and it has the V-8 in it and we have loved it. It only has 60,000 miles on it and we were not going to replace it, but we decided we still wanted the truck based explorer that sits up nice and high, has a growly V-8 in it, can tow a trailer and doesn't look like all the other crossovers that are now everywhere. I hope we made the right choice. We ordered a Dark Copper E. Bauer pretty much loaded up with the V-8 and Chrome wheels. I even already have a Magnflow Cat back exhaust ordered for it. So actually when I see a 2011 picture that looks kinda ugly, it actually makes me feel better about our decision. Hopefully I will look back and say we made the right choice.

I wouldn't worry- if 2011 scores, you still won't regret what you have gotten. If for no other reason that no matter how great it looks, it will be a 1st model year redesign, and I'd wait for the 2nd anyway. :)

You'll love your Eddie! Congrats on picking up a great truck!

I wouldn't worry- if 2011 scores, you still won't regret what you have gotten. If for no other reason that no matter how great it looks, it will be a 1st model year redesign, and I'd wait for the 2nd anyway. :)

You'll love your Eddie! Congrats on picking up a great truck!

Thanks! We are really excited and can't wait to get it. Like you said, even if the 2011 is awesome, we will still love the 2010. In one way it's also kinda cool that we will have the end of a era and also there won't be a million of them just like it running around. Around here the Ford Edge is really popular, but the bad part is if you buy one, there will be twenty other people in the same small town with a identical vehicle. Our Ford dealer has not sold a 2010 dark copper Explorer this year and they told us that they were not getting anymore 2010's this year, so ours should stand out pretty well. After owning our 2002 since it was new, trading it in felt like losing part of the family. I saw it sitting on the lot and almost felt like I should stop and say I'm sorry! Take Care!

I really like that dark copper color- and there aren't a lot of them around here either.

But... I can beat your drive-by-the-lot bad feelings for awkwardness...

When I bought my 2001 Sport, I had to take it in to have a bad leaf spring replaced. The loaner vehicle that they gave me (unknown to the service guy) was the '99 Ranger that I traded in a month prior.

I was awkward because I figured that the Ranger was pissed and wasn't talking to me anymore... It was an "Ok- I'll steer and you get me there and back safely. I won't say anything and you keep it to yourself too, let's just keep this professional..." :D

That's funny! I don't understand how we get connected to our vehicles like that, but we do. I have a 94 Cobra mustang and I have done some engine mods to it, and sometimes when I take it out and thrash on it and bang thru the gears, I feel like I should apologize to it for beating on it so hard. My mother-in-law always said I was weird. I think she might be right!!

I like the dual exhaust. I think if they put the f-150 front end on it, it will be sick and even sicker if they put the f-250 clip on the front, but I bet they'll save that for the expeditions

I hope the dual mufflers don't look like a lot of the crossovers with duals, where from the rear you see the whole stinking muffler hanging down with a little chrome tip in the center of it. Then the question is what will a V-6 sound like with duals? They are not offering a V-8 right? I just got my Magnaflow stainless cat back for our 4.6 V-8 2010. It looks incredible with a nice big polished tip. Now if the explorer would just come in so I can put it on. No build date yet.

2011(2) explorer almost completely naked

I really like it.

02-2012-ford-explorer-kgp-march.jpg

05-2012-ford-explorer-kgp-march.jpg

21-2012-ford-explorer-kgp-march.jpg

More pics and info:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/25/spy-shots-2012-ford-explorer-caught-completely-disrobed/

Just saw these over on leftlanenews...it's not as bad as I thought it may be. Very Landrover LR2/Mistubishi Outlaner ish.

Getting a lillte too close too the new '11 Edge though:rolleyes: Only differance will be the 3rd row:thumbdwn:

Let's just say, I'm really glad we just ordered a new 2010 Explorer. The 2011 isn't bad looking, but it just looks like one of a dozen other crossovers out there with a different nose. It reminds me of a Edge stationwagon. Maybe it's just me, but when I see the last generation 2006-2010 explorers going down the road,I think they stand out as one sweet looking SUV, especially the Eddie Bauers. I'm sure the 2011 is a whole lot more technically advanced and will have a awesome ride etc. if your into all that stuff. I'm 50 so I like a rumbly V-8 and old tech!

Dare I say it, it looks nothing like an Explorer, but I dig it...

I'll seriously be considering one in about 2012 or 2013 when I go to replace my current vehicle.

I like the looks of it already! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i wouldnt have a problem with it, if they didnt call it somthing other than an explorer. but to me it will never be one. however, reaise 2 inches, longe travel front a rear suspension, put 32inch tires and really reinforct the fame with some sorta rol cage, you got your self a mini 6 passenger raptor.

Back