school me on radius arm suspension | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

school me on radius arm suspension

redranger4.0

Reaction score
City, State
Salem CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger XLT
ok so my plans for my sas have changed and im going to be running radius arms intead of leafs up front. so know i need to know what is involved. i will be running cage extended radius arms and their weld on mount kit.

Weld on brackets

Radius arms

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Toss a track bar on it and make it the same length and angle of the drag link and wheel away. Did you start your swap like a year ago? Better hurry up andget it done before your ranger becomes an antique :D

i understand the basics but i need to know about any angles that need to be maintained or achieved. obviously there will be no wedges or camber bushings, due to the weld on mounts

RockRanger said:
Toss a track bar on it and make it the same length and angle of the drag link and wheel away. Did you start your swap like a year ago? Better hurry up andget it done before your ranger becomes an antique :D

and yes its been a while. its been really hard with me at school and my fabricator also at school

Angles to watch for are mostly steering/trac bar angles. Most people use a 7*-9* C-bushing. Basically doesnt matter where the radius arms are mounted.... directly under the frame works but sacrifices clearance of you can mount them off the inside or outside of the frame.

nissanboy said:
Angles to watch for are mostly steering/trac bar angles. Most people use a 7*-9* C-bushing. Basically doesnt matter where the radius arms are mounted.... directly under the frame works but sacrifices clearance of you can mount them off the inside or outside of the frame.

there will be no C bushings on my set up

I set my front end to have 7* of caster in it. I think I eneded up closer to 9* though cause I didnt have teh truck completly level when I set it at 7*. Tracks fine down the road. I also set the front wheels to have 1/16" of toe in as well and it seams to be working. That is all there pretty much is in a radius arm setup.

redranger4.0 said:
there will be no C bushings on my set up
You will rotate the mounts on the housing before you weld them on to set the caster. In other words, instead of using different degree bushings yours will be dictated by were the mount is welded on the axle.

ok next question, coils, what are people using for coils, im not interested in the height but what vehicle the coils were originally meant for.

Just about everyone is running some type of 66-77 Bronco coil.

Like james t said most folk run an EB coil, Wildhorses, James Duff, BC Broncos, etc.

Don't forget Jeep coils too. I know some people run those with good success.

Back