School me on the PSD | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

School me on the PSD

Are there anythings that I need to look out for with the Power strokes? What are the common things that go bad on them? I thought I remember there was a sensor that likes to go bad on them. Do they need a special anitfreeze or was that the older ford diesels? How well do the autos hold up? Are there any BAD mods (mostly to the motor or tranny) that can be made to these trucks? Seems like a bunch of them have been lifted which I would end up pulling off. This truck will endup seeing about 40k miles a year mostly for work which usually means a bed full of tools. About 10% will be with a trailer in tow as well.

My 04 chevy currently has 153k miles on it and will be due for its 3rd set of tires here pretty soon. I also figure I will need brakes as well seeing how I am still on the original pads and rotors.

On the side I also might be getting hooked up on a rather large tow hauler as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Matt.. if you find one, PM Evil Eye and he can get you the Oasis report that will show all the things that the dealer has done to it. He got mine for me. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. :D

Evil Eye or myself can get an Oasis report.

The sensor is the Crank sensor. If they go bad it takes a 10mm wrench and about 10 minutes to swap.

As for bad engine mods there really aren't any. Its more a matter of doing it the expensive way or cheaper way. If its 2001-2003 you'll be limited to about 400hp max on the PM rods, if its a 99.5-2000 you can get about 500hp on the factory forged rods.

On the 7.3, the only major recall on mine is the CPS sensor (Crank Position Sensor).

If the engine has any power increasing parts (ie, air intake, exhaust, chip/programmer) then expect problems with the transmission (auto)/clutch(manual) if it has not been rebuilt/replaced.

Other than that, mine is still on factory pads/rotors, and runs like a top at 110k miles.

Get the OASIS report for it. It will tell all of warranty repairs the vehicle had done.. Mine has seen a Ford dealer twice - both times due to being sold! :D

Get the OASIS report for it. It will tell all of warranty repairs the vehicle had done.. Mine has seen a Ford dealer twice - both times due to being sold! :D

wow, I'm impressed.

As for Auto tranny's several buddys have replaced theirs at or before 100K, not sure what attention glow plugs need but several Non-Ford mechanics didn't want to replace mine because of some theory that the tip can brake off when removing them causing the head to need to be removed but Ford didn't say anything regarding that when I brought up that issue on my last Excursion, that truck needed a wiring harness for the glow plugs as well, 2 plugs and a harness was like $1100 bucks.

The only other issue I always bring up is that the auto door locks on the older ones go bad and need to be replaced. You won't know it, but a door won't lock when you hit it on the remote and your car could be sitting with an unlocked door if you don't check them or they won't unlock.

seems like they are cheaper in Pheonix area or in vegas compared to in so cal. Might have to do a little road trip to get one.

Anyone know much about flat towing? If I go out of town to get one I figure we will drive tracy's jeep out. I have a towbar and mounts on the jeep for it. I figure I pull the rear driveshaft, leave the key on and disconnect the battery, put some magnet lights on the back and hook up some safety chains and I am all set right?

Are there anythings that I need to look out for with the Power strokes? What are the common things that go bad on them? I thought I remember there was a sensor that likes to go bad on them. Do they need a special anitfreeze or was that the older ford diesels? How well do the autos hold up? Are there any BAD mods (mostly to the motor or tranny) that can be made to these trucks? Seems like a bunch of them have been lifted which I would end up pulling off. This truck will endup seeing about 40k miles a year mostly for work which usually means a bed full of tools. About 10% will be with a trailer in tow as well.
The backpressure sensors tend to fail as well as the glowplugs and their accompanying relay(s) which unfortunately even on a warm day a PSD has a hell of a time starting without them.

Personally at 6'1" tall and fairly long legs I feel just fine riding in the back seat of a 4 door dodge ;)

...on my last Excursion, that truck needed a wiring harness for the glow plugs as well, 2 plugs and a harness was like $1100 bucks.

Was that for a 6 Leaker or 7.3L? Because DWD just replaced all 8 glow plugs and left & right UVC harnesses on his 2000 for about $65.

Not sure on the jeep, but I know on the Explorers you just put the t-case in N. If you know your going to get one, just take the trailer, or heck give me a call...I'll shoot up there with you. Pay for the gas, and I'll drive if you want;) It only a few hours away.

You could always pull the driveshafts.

The Superduty will easily handle it.

Things I'd ask for:

1) Spring code(s) on the door sticker. Your looking for the heavy duty spring package. Yes, this makes a HUGE difference in what you can carry. Standard PSD's don't have an overload spring/stop setup.

2) Tire sizes. If it's the 265.. it's usually the heavy duty package.

3) VIN. you know why..

1&2 you should ask for a picture of the sticker on the driver's door.. It will have a wealth of information!

thanks for the link. trying to find a 6 speed 4wd crew cab long bed is being a bit of a challenge.

Back