SEA FOAM!!! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SEA FOAM!!!

i did this:
pour the amount you want to use into a cup. i then disconnected one of the hoses (i used driver side b/c its longer) that goes from pcv to the intake. cranked the car had my brother operate the gas. instruced him not to let it die. while running i dipped the hose into the cup of seafoam. as it slurped it up the engine would get a little rough so i would pull the hose out of the cup a bit and he gave a little gas... so on until all seafoam was slurped up.
i think your supposed to turn off the truck for like 10 minutes after you have gotten it all in the engine. when you crank it back up you should notice the smoke.
i foget exactly the technique after pouring it all in... so dont hold me to the turn it off thing and wait 10 minutes.
btw.. robert told me this technique and it worked great! no mess and no funnels or anything needed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually I could have poured 10 cans in there and would have been ok. Thanks for your comment though.:p

Originally posted by HH1
Damn stupid? And that was a productive comment how?
Thanks for not flamming, Dumazz.:confused:

hope that wasn't directed at me...
even so.. huh?

I just used some seafoam i poured some true the brake vacume line. and waited the 5 min's and when i started the explorer up no white smoke came out is that normal or did i do something wrong.Do i need to add more and how fast do i pour the stuff.

Thanks

use about 1/3 of the bottle or more, pour it in fairly slowly while the engine is running, turn off the engine when done, wait 5 min, and restart car, thats all there is to it

I have been chasing a bad ping in OD for years. I just used this Sea Foam stuff, and then put 87 octane in, and my truck is PING FREE for the first time in over 2 years. Could this have really worked????!!! We'll see over the next few weeks. If it did, wow, thanks for the heads up!

So I have a 93 X. Where is the best place to put this stuff? In the TB or suck it up somewhere? Or is it all the same?

the easiest way i've found to do it is to undo the tube that goes from the intake to the pcv valve, and put a funnel in it, then turn on the engine and pour it into the intake manifold through that tube (i'm not sure if this would be the same for your 93, but you could just find a hose going to the intake manifold from the master brake cylinder. Pouring it through the throttle body would be more difficult.

recommended use for a bottle of seafoam is 1/3 in oil, 1/3 in intake manifold, 1/3 in gas. I normally use most or all of it in the intake, and if i'm changing my oil, or my gas is low i put some in there too.

I did it thru the brake booster line, and poured about 1/3 of the seafoam in a cup. I let the engine suck in the seafoam gradually; then I shut her down and let sit for 5 mins. Then restarted; no smoke in my case; then I drove it in D (not OD) on the interstate at 75-80 mph for about 10 minutes (at 3000 rpm or so). The Ford TSB on the carbon buildup subject recommends this to blow out the cobs, so I did. Then I went back home and ran another 1/3 of the can the same way, into the manifold thru the brake booster line. Then shut down for 5 mins. Then ran 10 minutes at 3000 rpm on the highway. Then got gas, 87 octane, and no pinging. Before it would ping with 87 octane.

My mechanic also recommended I try seafoam. Man I am happy if this really has solved the pinging! :) So far it has, but I'm not gonna claim victory just yet. Time will tell.

Oh yeah then I poured the 1/3 that was left into the gas tank.

1/3 into intake manifold
run it like hell
1/3 into intake manifold again
run it like hell again
1/3 into gas
change oil
(which I'm doin right now)

Guys,
I used this in my F-250 diesel a few years ago and I noticed an immediate difference in the smoothness of the idle. I poured it directly into the fuel tanks. Also, i got it at my local NAPA.

Take care,
Elevatorguy

This one should realy scare you. My dad was a mechanic at a TOYOTA dealer from 1971-mid 80's before fuel injetion was around. What they used to do was mix water and automotic transmission fluid and pour it down the carb while it was running and keep it reved between 2500-3000 rpm to keep the engine from stalling.

Just FYI .........
GM Goodwrench has a de-carbon intake cleaner like seafoam and you can buy it at any GM dealers parts counter or thru there online store ( its in the bottom right corner) http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/PartsAccessories/EngineProducts.html
Also for people who have minor lifter noise i would suggest a can of GM's EOS ( Engine Oil Supliment ) i have used it and it does keep the dreaded tick at bay for atleast 2 or 3 oil changes.
Just my .02

Guys I have 66,000 miles on mine and there all the meanest hell there is. I am already drinking 2 extra quarts between oil changes. I'll try that stuff if I can find it, I may just have to send one of you guys $4 and have ya send it to me. I dont expect it to fix the oil consumption. But it's worth a shot!

I still dont think this stuff is worth it. Im to afraid it would screw somthing up.

Cant be good for the engine....

Originally posted by DonM
I still dont think this stuff is worth it. Im to afraid it would screw somthing up.

Cant be good for the engine....

Its very good for the engine... it removes carbon build up. The only thing I'd be worried about is the catalytic converter, because all the carbon has to go through it, however seafoam says it is safe for cats and i haven't had a problem after a few bottles.

Also, as far as oil consumption, it probably won't help at all, as all it does is clean and remove deposits....

In fact if you have a lot of build up that is blocking a leak, and the seafoam cleans that gunk out... it could open the leak and make things worse. In my opinion, i'd rather have my engine clean on the inside and if I ended up with a leak... find a way to fix it rather than having "gunk" build up and block it.

I understand what the product does, I just dont like the way it does it. I just dont like the idea of putting this stuff in a vac hose while the engine is running and then watch a ton of white smoke pour out the pipe!

No thanks

Would you feel better if you put it in your air intake/TB? Or perhaps your gas or oil?
A vac line is only one way.... it can be unnerving, but its a good deal if you ask me!

-----Nate

The only place i would put this stuff would be in the tank, even then Im not so sure about? I dont even like putting Fuel injector cleaner in the tank.

nweibley, I just dont like the idea of putting anything other then oil in my engine. It just cant be good for it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In one of the other threads on this, I posted the Ford TSB which uses a similar product "Motorcraft Carburetor Tune-up Cleaner PM-3" to do the same thing as Seafoam:

Dead Link Removed

If you follow the instructions carefully, you shouldn't hurt your engine. However, with that said, I would only do this technique if I was having pinging issues.

Back