Seafoam/Siezed Engine/How to turn Crankshaft? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seafoam/Siezed Engine/How to turn Crankshaft?

strizzlow20

Reaction score
City, State
Sebastian, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4X4 SOHC
Oh man,

I'm having a rough day and I have a feeling my explorer is toast. I have a 98 ford explorer, SOHC, and I am doing my usually maint. I was going to use seafoam through the brake booster, which I have done several times before, and then change the oil, wires, and plugs. Well, the ENTIRE can was sucked out instead of half and it happened so quick I couldn't even tell the weight change in the can. I let my car sit for several minutes, and when I went to start it, it tried to turn over for second, made a loud noise, maybe backfire, and then shut off. I tried to start it, and nothing, it just clicks loudly one time. So, I took all the plugs out and disconnect the wires and tried to start the explorer, and nothing. Guys, I'm really overwhelmed right now and I'm pretty sure I f***ed up big time. This is my primary means of transportation and I've had this vehicle for ever. I've used this forum several times in the past to redo the front end, brakes, everything. This is my baby lol. Anyways, I'm going to be in my driveway cleaning up my tools. If anyone has any advice or tell me how to manually turn the crank shaft, that would be great. My phone number is seven 7 two, 828, 668 nine. If someone can call me, I would appreciate it. My name is Ed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like you put your engine into what's called "hydraulic lock". i'm guessing the whole can of SeaFoam got sucked into one cylinder and when you tried to start the engine, that piston couldn't move up because liquid's are not compressible.

maybe you haven't caused any damage yet. maybe you have. it is possible to bend a connecting rod when this happens.

remove all the spark plugs and spin the engine over with the starter for a minute or so. this will make a huge mess, but it should clear most of the SeaFoam out of the cylinder. then replace the plugs and keep your finger's crossed that it will run.

I don't understand why people put that crap in there engines. to me it's just snake oil and any benefit people believe they get is imagined. JMHO.

Ed only way I know is to put a 19mm(?) Deep well on a breaker, harmonic balancer from below working past the fan and maybe I removed the plastic splash shield as well to improve clearance. Make sure you turn in the same rotation as when its running (clockwise I think) this is very important.

I thought sea foam goes into the gas tank. Why brake booster?

Thanks guys, I'm just letting the explorer sit. Is the crankshaft nut what the fan is connected to? If so, it's definitely larger than 19mm. I have a Chilton's manual and even looked online and I cannot figure out where to manual turn the crank shaft on this.

BTW, I did pull of all the spark plugs and attempted to unflood the engine, but I only get a large click, my car doesn't actually turn over at all.

The fan is attached to the water pump pulley. The crank is directly below that and should have a nut in the middle of it. You will most likely need an extension on a breaker bar to turn it. If you go under the front of the truck its directly in the middle. It will look similar to this

attachment.php

Thanks, and BTW 19MM is about right so I apologize for assuming that was incorrect. My set only goes up to 18mm so I'll have to try tomorrow. I'm betting on a siezed engine which is crazy considering all I used was seafoam. a 11 dollar bottle just cost me thousands.....

if the engine wouldn't spin with the plugs out. i'm thinking it's probably toast, but try to turn the crank by hand. BTW 19mm and 3/4" are the same size.

Probably not nearly enough clearance for the crankshaft pulley nut, but isn't the lug wrench 19mm?

I don't understand why people put that crap in there engines. to me it's just snake oil and any benefit people believe they get is imagined. JMHO.

Couldn't agree more to this! ^^^^^^

Obviously this is a lesson leaned with the sea foam. There is literally nothing I can do now but let me friends and family know who do the same exact thing. I appreciate everyone's help. I went out there again, and it was clicking the starter was the problem. When I jumped it, it just does the single click. So I am going to try and manually turn the crankshaft tomorrow and if it does turn, I will replace the starter, which I pray to God it is. Very doubtful though.

Can anyone confirm in which the direction the crankshaft should turn if it's not seized? The gentleman before stated clockwise but he wasn't 100% sure. Thanks again for everyone's reply.

Clockwise facing the pulley nut.

Thank you. Has anyone else heard of similar problems with this??? Just curious.

Thank you. Has anyone else heard of similar problems with this??? Just curious.

I used to have a Wrangler that had a hard time starting from cold. Some suggested sea foam, which I had never even heard of before. They did warn me that it makes a ton of smoke and I should be ready for it. I did not try it because I knew deep down the problem was more serious than that. Anyway, my understanding was that it is a fuel additive. Where did you exactly put it? How can it possibly lead to engine seizure?

Anyway, my understanding was that it is a fuel additive. Where did you exactly put it? How can it possibly lead to engine seizure?

If you let the engine suck up the Seafoam through a vacuum hose like the brake booster hose the seafoam will get all over the backs of the valves and into the ring lands.
If you let it suck up fast the engine will be all wet inside.

Leave it for a few hours or overnight the start and go for a run the next day and the engine will blow all the accumulated carbon out.

It does work, but there has to be a carbon build up otherwise it does nothing.

If you put it in the gas it will clean the lines and injectors and slowly clean the combustion chambers.

This guy let it suck up too fast and he got the whole lot in his engine and possibly hydrolocked it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back