blueka

Elite Pickler
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 UK XLT, 99 Sport V8,
So, my "The North Face" /Limited seats have started leaning back whenever I accelerate and I'm assuming the lever is to blame (pictured)

Can we get new ones? Is there a replacement or upgrade?

Si

20240107_201710.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Issued: 2003-08-07

DESCRIPTION OF ISSUE

ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH HIGH BACK SEATS, THE UPPER BOLT ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE HIGH BACK SEAT, THAT ATTACHES THE SEAT RECLINER MECHANISM TO THE SEAT BACK FRAME, COULD FRACTURE. IF THE BOLT FRACTURES AND DOES NOT JAM IN THE SEAT BACK FRAME, THE SEAT BACK MAY RECLINE UNTIL IT MAKES CONTACT WITH AN OBJECT BEHIND THE SEAT, SUCH AS THE SECOND ROW SEAT CUSHION. THE DRIVER COULD POTENTIALLY LOSE CONTACT WITH THE STEERING WHEEL OR FOOT PEDALS DURING SUCH AN EVENT, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

DESCRIPTION OF COMPONENT

SEATS:FRONT ASSEMBLY:RECLINER

RESOLUTION

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE DRIVER SEAT UPPER BOLT WITH A METAL SPACER AND BOLT. IN ADDITION, SEATS WITH TUBULAR BACK FRAMES WILL HAVE THE FULLY THREADED LOWER RECLINER BOLT REPLACED WITH A PARTIALLY THREADED BOLT. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON AUGUST 29, 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673.

NOTES

FORD RECALL NO. 03S04
CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

If they are not factory seats, do you know what brand they are? Were they part of a custom package from the dealership?

It wouldn't hurt to verify if the recliner bolts are tight as well.

SAFETY RECALL 03S04

Those plastic recliner levers are a pain!

Some sport tracs had them
When they break they are hard to fix

I have replaced them with a fabric strap in the past

If your seat is reclining and not locking into positions you will have to take the seat apart to see what’s going on and fix it … remove the plastics and have a look

I have some pictures of how I fixed these in the past I will post, but my issues are always a broken lever, not a broken seat

Back