• Register Today It's free!

Seats

Cade 1002

Reaction score
City, State
Clermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer sport
I’ve got a 95 Ford Explorer sport and was curious if Ford made any leather seats that aren’t powered Bc I’m wanting to change out my front seats.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome, and you can change your seats or seat tracks at any time, to those from any 1992-2001 Explorer, plus a few others. The powered seat function is in the seat track under the seat. The seats and seat tracks all swap among those model years, four bolts hold those together.

They also swap from 01-05 sport tracs as well, I have seat tracks from a 2nd gen explorer in my ST.

I've been planning to swap leather seats into my Sport as well. To add to what's been said, there 10 are holes in the seat bases where they can mount to various rails. In any given base only four holes are tapped -- the front two and some pair from the back eight holes. The tapped holes are not the same for powered vs. non-powered seats, but there's nothing to stop you from tapping the holes you need to use and bolting leather seats onto the base you want to use.
PXL_20220313_113938355.jpg

Another item to note is there are "non-powered" leather front passenger seats (I put non-powered in quotes because the leather seats still have power lumbar support) and there are Sport leather seats. Both of these have a manually adjustable slider, but only leather seats meant for Sport Explorers have a lever on the passenger front seat for the rear passengers to be able to slide it.
Capture.JPG

I have never seen a leather drivers seat that wasn't fully powered including in Sports, but again you can always swap out the base.

Can I ask why you want non-powered seats? It's not terribly hard to wire in powered seats once you've pulled your front seats out. Just have to remove the plastic trim at the bottom of the door opening (can be pulled off by hand) and find the right wires in the loom (black ground and an always hot black/white stripe). Just weave the power seat wiring under the carpet and splice in (after disconnecting the battery of course). The reason I say this is because in my experience it's a lot easier to find leather seat from 4 door Explorers than Sports. If you don't have people in the back often, it shouldn't be much of a pain to have power seats for driver and passenger.

This is a 60/40 bucket/bench from a 2003 Ranger. I say bucket bench as it had a flip-up consul/seat back so a little person could sit in the middle. I never intended to use it that way and didn't set-up the seat belt to do so (I always were a belt). I didn't wire seat belts and solved the issue of the seat belt and charm going off by turning off the seat belt indicator. I am not sure you can do that with a 95 but wiring them is easy as well.

I am 6'2", my lady 5'6" and these tall buckets fit both of us nicely:

drivers-3.jpg

This is a 60/40 bucket/bench from a 2003 Ranger. I say bucket bench as it had a flip-up consul/seat back so a little person could sit in the middle. I never intended to use it that way and didn't set-up the seat belt to do so (I always were a belt). I didn't wire seat belts and solved the issue of the seat belt and charm going off by turning off the seat belt indicator. I am not sure you can do that with a 95 but wiring them is easy as well.

I am 6'2", my lady 5'6" and these tall buckets fit both of us nicely:

View attachment 427666
I like your seats sir.

This is a 60/40 bucket/bench from a 2003 Ranger.
I like that bucket/bench! It'd be a solid way to increase the seating capacity of a Sport to 5 passengers. As someone who's ridden in the middle seat of a manual Ranger, I will say that shifter gets a little awkward haha.

Pulled my seats out yesterday to reinstall my carpet now that the body mounts have all been replaced. I'm also finally getting around to making my own "Sport" leather passenger seat because I haven't been able to find one in a salvage yard.

I'm cobbling together a few different seats to make exactly what I want:
  • Leather seat base from '97 Eddie Bauer -- power lumbar support and manual slider
  • Leather seat back from '9? XLT -- power lumbar support and no EB logo
  • Recliner lever and seat rails from '03 Sport -- includes secondary recliner/manual slider lever for rear passengers
For the most part, all of this bolts together. The only "customization" I'm doing is cutting a slot for the rear lever in the plastic side panel from the '97 seat. I would've preferred to use the '03 Sport trim which has the slot molded in, but the piece I have is the wrong color and more importantly the later model seat trim uses two clips and one screw unlike the older style which attaches with three screws -- they aren't interchangeable without swapping the metal frame of the seat base which I don't have.

I'm using the '03 Sport trim for reference to make the slot in the right spot.
1669047355023.png

1669047373636.png

Here's a shot of the two-door specific folding lever with the secondary lever for rear passengers:
1669085687065.png

Here's how my modified trim turned out:
1669085723781.png

1669085742193.png

Not perfect, but it'll work until I can find the real deal in a salvage yard!

wow, nice! lots of work in this one ;)

I see this is a little old, but I’m wanting to do something similar and checking for clarification.
92-01ex and 01-05 sport track will all interchange other than the small differences?

I see this is a little old, but I’m wanting to do something similar and checking for clarification.
92-01ex and 01-05 sport track will all interchange other than the small differences?
Yes. As far as I've seen, there are only a few different seat base styles (power bucket, non-power bucket, bench, and split bench) and they can all be made to work by swapping parts around, splicing wiring, etc.

Back