Seriously getting ready for an Expedition.. | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seriously getting ready for an Expedition..

..I just seen this for $25 and thought I would share for those who are looking for a chuck box..;)
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/64789-Military-Field-Box-camp-kitchen-

DSC06697.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool Idea!

Ever use a DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer while you are sitting in your truck? It seems there is just no room for that big book in the front seat...

The answer is so simple, I wish I would have thought of it myself - spiral bind the book! Most any office supply store can do this. Cut the fold, punch the holes, thread the spiral - that's it!

Now you can easily view just one page.

The only drawback is you loose a little bit of map detail due to the holes (second picture.)

A recommended mod - and at about $4, you won't go broke in the process.

Attachments

• Map1.JPG
    Map1.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 736
  • Map2.JPG
    Map2.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 729

...That would make reading those maps so much easier..:biggthump

...I need some thoughts from everyone so please chime in on this...
http://www.snowpeak.com/stoves/camping/regular-bib-box-ck-130.html

snowpeak012%20006.jpg

...This is a BBQ box I am looking at getting for a couple different reasons..

..I like to cook over fire and I like to cook meat while camping and the compact size, but this can not be achieved on a camp stove and some places I go there are limitations like..

Fire restrictions including camp fires but you can use certain camp stoves...This is common in California and in National Parks in back country areas..:(

..A couple concerns I have is, I'm not sure this is a legal box in fire restricted areas as it does not have a control to turn it off since it uses charcoal...I'm not even sure if that is a problem..

...Plus carrying a bag of charcoal would be a requirement...But being able to cook meat over an open flame would make camping closer to what it used to be back in the day..

..Any confirmations, thoughts, or suggestions would be appreciated..:salute:

LMAO! "expo this, expo that, expo with a wiffle ball bat"

How much of the list do you already have? :p:

LMAO! "expo this, expo that, expo with a wiffle ball bat"

How much of the list do you already have? :p:

Probably a lot - I just know he's thinking about a trailer... :p:

...I'm still in utter amazement at "The List"...:eek:

...I do know a few of the guys who probably have everything on the list, in the truck conversation, and at the forefront of finding all the new stuff to add..

..But I'm still weeding stuff out..

..I like to travel as light as possible so I can sleep in the truck and the tent is still a luxury for me..:biggthump

..But I did find my new little pepper grinder and sea salt grinder..;)

...But those videos...I laffed so hard this morning I spit soda thru my nose and farted at the same time..:fart:

..Posting live from the Mountains..:D

...Meeting up with probably 70-80 overlanders to see how the do it with a wiffle ball bat..:p:..It's pitch black here in the mountains and I'm camped between the showers and the bear box..:shifty_ey

...Did some night wheeling because I seen the marker to the turn off and I said to myself, "Naw, That's to obvious"..Almost thought I was going on a John Bull run by myself..:eek:

Sounds like fun!! "With a wiffle ball bat!"

...For those looking for a new fridge at a decent price, you can order one from Home Depot..:biggthump

They also have deffered payments..

use code - APP50J3

... You can get a 65 qt fridge shipped for free from Home Depot + a 50.00 rebate =$479.00 to your door...It's the same fridge as the Edgestar..;)
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...ewPromoCodeApplied=true&ddkey=AjaxNavigation#

...They also have a 45 qt. for $507 using the code..
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...NewPromoCodeApplied=true&ddkey=OrderCalculate

Fire Extinguisher

For many years I've carried a dry chemical 1A10BC or 10BC model - and have only had to use one twice, neither on my truck.

Dry chemical, while good at suppressing a fire, is rather harmful to whatever it gets sprayed on. Aside from the burned remains, you have a corrosion problem that must also be taken care of.

Given that, and the new engine I am about to put in my truck, I decided to pick up a new fire extinguisher:

fire_ext1.jpg

The suppressive agent is based on Halon, a (relatively) harmless gas (just don't breathe it!)

This style extinguisher is fairly expensive, but still significantly cheaper than the corrosive damage that could happen with a dry chemical extinguisher.

I was just looking at the HalGuard extinguishers in a catalog this morning and was thinking about ordering 1 or 2. Scott, what size is that one?

Given that, and the new engine I am about to put in my truck, I decided to pick up a new fire extinguisher

Not feeling confident in your engine installing abilities? :p:

I was just looking at the HalGuard extinguishers in a catalog this morning and was thinking about ordering 1 or 2. Scott, what size is that one?

2.5 pound.

Not feeling confident in your engine installing abilities? :p:

Not sure how to answer this one... :mattmoon:

..I might need to find a larger fire extinguisher for our trip..just in case..:p:

What are you planning on doing?

What are you planning on doing?

..:scratch:.. I will be right beside you helping you put your trucks fire out..:biggthump

:p:

Sleeping Accomodations

Not that there is anything with sleeping in the back of my truck, I just ordered a new tent.

10 x 10, and I can stand up inside it!

Should be great for those leisurely afternoons in camp...

Attachments

• 6010-Flex-Bow-Kodiak-Canvas-Tent.jpg
    6010-Flex-Bow-Kodiak-Canvas-Tent.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 584

..Holy cow...That hing is huge..:eek:

..We could use that for not only the sweat lodge, but also the Pow-Wow..:p:

I ran out and got a twin pack of propane today..:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Floor Jack

Taking a cue from the desert racers, I am replacing the bottle jack in my truck with an aluminum floor jack.

The plan is to remove the wheels, and replace them with an aluminum skid plate (to prevent the jack from sinking in the dirt/sand.)

Attachments

• FloorJack1.JPG
    FloorJack1.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 537

Back