For Sale - Second Gen explorer front winch bumper | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

For Sale Second Gen explorer front winch bumper

I am selling a kit form winch bumper for the second gen explorer. It bolts to the factory frame mounts that get some reinforcements added. You will need to provide the mounting hardware which is grade 8 bolts. You will also need to provide a 34.5" long piece of 2 inch square tube. This is a weld together kit. If ordered between now and April 5 it will be $250 shipped in the USA. After that I will have to see what steel prices are but it will be more.

What you get:

20180326_141843 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

What will show up at your house:

20180326_163336 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

What the end product looks like:

20180214_135442 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

For more info see this thread.

Building a winch bumper for our 01 Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Curious as to how thick the plate is?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Couple real quick questions,
How easily can this be adapted to a vehicle with a body lift of 2-3 inches?
And what would be the consequences of making it from a slightly thinner metal in the interest of weight savings?

I might be interested in this. I am in LA area so I can come up to get it. Do you still have one to sell?

Couple real quick questions,
How easily can this be adapted to a vehicle with a body lift of 2-3 inches?
And what would be the consequences of making it from a slightly thinner metal in the interest of weight savings?

I thought I had responded to you. Sorry for the delay. I have modified the design a bit from what is shown so it can be made to fit stock height or with a 3 inch body lift. To go to a thinner material would require quite a bit of design time to make everything fit up properly. It the end it might only save 5 to 10lbs as some parts would have to stay 3/16" thick.

I might be interested in this. I am in LA area so I can come up to get it. Do you still have one to sell?

I make them as ordered. Due to the way I designed it to all fit in 2 flat rate boxes it makes shipping cheap. You would spend more in gas then the shipping costs to drive up here. But if you wanted to I am always down to meet other members.

I thought I had responded to you. Sorry for the delay. I have modified the design a bit from what is shown so it can be made to fit stock height or with a 3 inch body lift. To go to a thinner material would require quite a bit of design time to make everything fit up properly. It the end it might only save 5 to 10lbs as some parts would have to stay 3/16" thick.

Thanks for the reply, I hope to have an extra 350 within the next few months, after the body lift.

I make them as ordered. Due to the way I designed it to all fit in 2 flat rate boxes it makes shipping cheap. You would spend more in gas then the shipping costs to drive up here. But if you wanted to I am always down to meet other members.

Whichever one works, the only problem is I only have a mig thats on 110V and not sure if i can weld it properly? Also a question I have is if this is a straight bolt on without cutting anything on the frame horn and/or drilling enormous amount of holes. Also I see there is a recovery point up front but is it possible to incorporate a hitch up front? Thank you!

Depending on the size of the 110V welder you could weld it together just fine. Some of them are rated up to quarter inch. There are a few pieces that weld to the frame rails to reinforce the mounts. However if you wanted to put the stock bumper back on you can simply unbolt this one and bolt the factory one back on. A hitch might be able to be incorporated but I have no plans to design one into it.

I was hoping its a fully bolt on without modifying the frame at all. If i Dont weld anything to the frame to reinforce im guessing my frame will be cracking or is the reinforcement a just in case thing?

Just in case thing. It is basically a few triangles to gusset the factory mounts and if used with a body lift an additional mounting point higher up to help with leverage.

It is possible to not gusset. Think anything would go wrong? I just didnt want to weld onto my frame in case insurance or something gets on my butt for "modifying the crash structure" of the frame.

Would it be possible to not not gusset but weld a strip to the bottom of the bumper and use that strip to bolt onto the frame 12 inches long along the bottom of the frame where the usual bolt holes are from the front mount hitches?

RockRanger- How does the winch bolt onto this? Does a custom winch tray between the frame rails need to be fabbed and then the fairlead just attaches to this bumper?

Was there a specific winch this was designed around? Did you end up installing a winch yet?

Thanks

RockRanger- How does the winch bolt onto this? Does a custom winch tray between the frame rails need to be fabbed and then the fairlead just attaches to this bumper?

Was there a specific winch this was designed around? Did you end up installing a winch yet?

Thanks
Winch mounts to the plate in the center. I designed it using the smittybuilt 8000, harbor freight 8000, and Warn 8000. Should fit most 8 to 12k winches. I know the warn 9.5xp has a longer motor and honestly can't remember if it clears or needs 1/4 inch spacers under the mounting points. I never installed a winch on mine as a few life changes happened and building a third off road rig was not in the cards. But we are planning to buy a new car for my wife this summer and the explorer will no longer be her daily so we shale see.

My friend Jake bought a kit and has a winch on his.

FB_IMG_1556674710697.jpg

I mounted a 13.5 on mine. Gift card for Christmas, free trial of Amazon Prime with for 30 bucks off shipping, and that’s what I ended up with. No problem really with clearance on the sides but the grill to fairlead Mount was tight!!! Holes lined right up. I thought it was going to be a pain to get to the bolts on the under side of the bumper, but the actual bolting of the winch took all of 10 minutes.

6A7ECE9F-9520-4D75-8D20-E15D7A209C28.jpeg

I am selling a kit form winch bumper for the second gen explorer. It bolts to the factory frame mounts that get some reinforcements added. You will need to provide the mounting hardware which is grade 8 bolts. You will also need to provide a 34.5" long piece of 2 inch square tube. This is a weld together kit. If ordered between now and April 5 it will be $250 shipped in the USA. After that I will have to see what steel prices are but it will be more.

What you get:

27189237538_88aea78eef_b.jpg
20180326_141843 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

What will show up at your house:

27189237598_aaff9d6267_b.jpg
20180326_163336 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

What the end product looks like:

39386007175_514bd59554_b.jpg
20180214_135442 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

For more info see this thread.

Building a winch bumper for our 01 Explorer.
Are you still making these? If so what's the current price with shipping to 95687?

Are you still making these? If so what's the current price with shipping to 95687?
Currently $325 shipped in the USA. Comes in kit form that you weld together. If you want to pick it up in Fresno it would be $275. Or I will sell you the one I already built for $300 picked up.

what a great deal!!

turns out I did a 2" body lift. Can you post a pic of the mounting area so I can get an idea of what I'm dealing with. To mount my Grill Guard in place after the 2" body lift I had to cut the bumper mounts inboard of the frame off. Am I looking at replacing those with new ones, or can something else be cobbled up?

Back