Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback) | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback)

Just a quick update and info being the Grand Poobah of the thread.

I picked up a Superior Transmissions A4LD valve body kit that I hope to install in the next few weeks. I'll take pics of the install and also of the valve body and pan to see how well the filter setup has been doing.

130k on my a4ld and she is still doing fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a little leak in my plumbing somewhere. In order to fix it it, I had to pull it all out. The easiest thing to do was not put it back since it was being retired to a secondary vehicle. Filter never picked up anythng anyway. It was just part of the "cooling system." Used Wally's ST-8 because they were black and you couldn't see them.

aldive said:
Mine has always performed well; never a leak or worry.

Ditto.

Hank, while you are in there put in the upgraded Sonnax Pressure regulator valve with O rings... about $30. It will help your line pressures.

I needed to get my tranny rebuilt last year....I have had the filter on for quite some time,the tranny shop sort of liked the idea,said it flowed well so for him to warrant the work ?,he didn't have a problem with the aftermarket filter ! said he like my gauge as well !

but I was puzzled about needing a complete rebuild at 61K ????
at the time,ford {my dealer} wanted $3500.,I found a decent shop that did it for $1700. {makes you wonder}

this is definitely my last ford.

Glacier991 said:
Hank, while you are in there put in the upgraded Sonnax Pressure regulator valve with O rings... about $30. It will help your line pressures.

Details and links please! Do tell...

Bill sorry to hear about the 61k tranny. For fun and good bathroom reading I have ordered an A4ld rebuild manuall to see if I am brave enought to get a doner carcass and do my own.

Bill, I have the same 5R55E trans, and I'm coming up on 60K miles. This makes me ask the question.....What was the trans doing to warrant a rebuild?

the problem happened late last winter,about 3 minutes from my job.

I got off the pkwy and stopped at the light and when the light changed to green the engine only reved and I heard metal inside there,
it sounded horrible.
now this was a very cold day {I remember like 4 degrees or something like that},and the day before it broke down the tranny temp rose to 175 {warm for mid summer but considered very hot for winter single-digit "freezing" temps}.the tranny temp later settled down to a winter normal 103 later and thats where it was at on that 30 minute ride to work ?
I experienced nothing wrong until I got stuck ?

I had also lost reverse,the only gear that worked was 2 low . I used that to get to work and found a shop right down the road that a buddy recommended.

I have never had a problem since but I have never used anything but a motorcraft filter since then.

Install Pic

The pic may be fuzzy but it came from one of those cheap digital cameras. I could not see the filter looking straight on so I had to lay on my back and look up. It is really easy to change and no one can see it unless they get on the ground.

dec29045.jpg

I've come to the conclusion that this filter setup is worth its weight in gold.

Pulled my trans this weekend for what was initally to replace a seal and valve body mod. Which has now turned into a TC replacement and high performace rebuild. Yes, transmission work is fun!

Anyway, after aprox 50k on the trans with the filter setup the damn pan was spotless... The magnet barely had anything stuck to it. From a distance it looked like nothing was on it.

FWIW I just noticed I installed this setup on 8/27/2001

So Hank, did the pan not even have that gray film on the bottom, that you can wipe off with your finger?

Honestly, NOTHING!!

I took a pick for the naysayers. Will post it up as soon as I can. Between trans work and newborn I am a little ragged. Typing this with one hand as the other is holding a baby bottle..

Thanks for all the info guy, just ordered the filter kit and a larger trans cooler from summit :thumbsup: Figure if I'm putting in a new trans, might as well go the whole mile. Not doing the temp guage as it's never hot enough in alaska to need it :fire:

I just got done installing my filter like aldive has it. I have been procrastinating this for so long thinking it would be hard but it was easy. Bad thing was now my damn kswiss's paint is pealing off because it scrapped the side on the concrete. Damn cheap kswiss

Forgot to post this pic, This pan has not been dropped since the filter install project. Talk about clean... 8:27/01 to 1/18/05... Kids don't try this at home..

1panDCP_0009-med.JPG

Amazing...guess that proves the external filter really works. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back