• Register Today It's free!

Shake at 65

megadeth

Reaction score
City, State
cincinnati,oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 navajo
Hey from the day i got it it has had a shake in the front end at about 65 mph it will go away at about 70 mph . I have replaced the tie rod ends gear box and power steering pump and then had a 5 wheel alignment done and prob still there. Had ball joints checked while i had some other work done and they were good . Any one got any ideas . Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could be a belt in one of the tires going - wheel balance?

i had mud behind my wheel and i had to take the wheel off and hose them off and it went away. could be a bad belt too.

Had tires put on not long ago and recently had them re balanced . Thought the mud thing but clean behind the wheels . Only thing i have not done is get the driveshaft checked but think that would be noticed at all speeds .
Posted via Mobile Device

I had the same issue, went away with a tire balance though

you have automatic hubs? Clean them and see if that takes care of things for you.

First Gen shakes at 65mph is very common. Some people never solve it completely..

From what I remember of all the old threads about it the following things may help/fix it..

in no particular order other than it came to my brain first is...
Radius Arm bushings
Axle pivot bushings
Loose front end components (like beam to RA bolts, bearings, ball joints)
Worn rear leaf spring bushings
Bad shackles

If it wasn't at the common problem speed of 65mph I'd throw out other items like drive shafts, rear end etc, but the 65mph shake is common.

~Mark

yea I think these things shook even when brand new , I remember hearing people returning them to the dealer with the dealers clueless as how to fix. I think it's most likely just a design fault.

Theere is a post on here about loosening the motor mounts, and tranny mounts then driving back and forth a few feet to gwet it all aligned. (that was in a service bulliten from ford)

when you got your tires balanced did it get better and then come back because if so your tires mite not be able to hold a balance,when i replaced my tires the shake went away

I'm having the exact same problem. Mine just had new tires put on a month ago so I know the tires are properly mounted and balanced.
From having a few Ford trucks I know that it seems it needs a 4 wheel alignment at least once a year because of that stinking IFS.
Maybe the key is to just keep it at 60 or under (as long as there's no where to go in a hurry I guess) ;)
I'm going to try the radius arm bushings at least though. Seems like a cheap fix if I can do the labor.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287596&highlight=radius+arm+bushings

Back