Sharing or Reselling an SCT XCal II | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sharing or Reselling an SCT XCal II

Fantasymon

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
I am confused on the performance "chips"

Is the SCT XCal II flasher considered the "chip", or do you buy a chip on top of the $350+ for this device?

If I was to buy the SCT XCal II and have it programed by Bamachips.com, would I be able to sell the SCT XCal II after I load the "tune" on to my Explorer?

I am asking because once I program my explorer, I don't really see a reason to keep the tuner versus selling it on ebay.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone?

The Xcal2 tuner cannot be re-used unless your vehicle is returned to stock.
If you get it, keep it.. just in case.

no, the programmer will be 'locked' if you have any of the tunes loaded on it. it can still be used to diagnos check engine lights on any obd2 cars.

the search button is your friend...

Jeezzz...give people time to respond...:rolleyes:

An X-Cal II does not require an additional chip. It re-flashes your existing computer with new data. The way they work, once you hook the X-Cal to your computer, it is now dedicated to your vehicle and your vehicle only. To unlock it from your vehicle, you must use it to flash the stock program back onto the computer. If you try to use it on another vehicle, it won't work. This is part of it's security protocol. If it wasn't set up that way, everyone and their brother would share the programmer, and the manufacture wouldn't make as much money.

Jeezzz...give people time to respond...:rolleyes:

An X-Cal II does not require an additional chip. It re-flashes your existing computer with new data. The way they work, once you hook the X-Cal to your computer, it is now dedicated to your vehicle and your vehicle only. To unlock it from your vehicle, you must use it to flash the stock program back onto the computer. If you try to use it on another vehicle, it won't work. This is part of it's security protocol. If it wasn't set up that way, everyone and their brother would share the programmer, and the manufacture wouldn't make as much money.

People make so many threads nowadays that they get pushed down quickly...I was just bumping it for the 6pm crowd;)

Anyways, thanks for the response..That makes a lot of since and I don't blame the manufacturers' from doing that.

With that being said, can I buy a used unlocked one off of ebay and be okay?

Thanks.

With that being said, can I buy a used one off of ebay and be okay?

Thanks.

Only if it has been divorced from the vehicle it was used on. If they left their tune on the car, you might be SOL unless you pay a SCT dealer/programmer to unlock it.

This is completely OT but JDraper, didn't you have like a red 2001 XLS a long time ago? Pretty sure I remember you from when I used to get on here a lot back in the day.

You will need to unlock it anyway to change vehicles-
Now-that being said.

You can use it as a tool to datalog, or pull codes from, any Ford vehicle.

Even if the performance tune is loaded into yours.

Ditto, and it is safer to buy a flasher from the programmer if they have one, new or used. That way they will verify that it is unlocked. If you get one used which is locked with the previous OEM program in it, then it has to be sent to SCT. I don't know what they charge to do that, but it would definitely make your total cost higher than a new flasher. We recommend James here for programming, he has been an Explorer owner and trusted programmer for a long time. Good luck,

This is completely OT but JDraper, didn't you have like a red 2001 XLS a long time ago? Pretty sure I remember you from when I used to get on here a lot back in the day.

Yep...looong gone. Replaced in '05 with a SCrew.

Last time I checked SCT will reset it for you for $150.

-mc

I have heard that figure also. Most used flashers run $200-$250, together that makes an expensive and troublesome used item purchase. That's why I hinted to contact James about a trusted unit.

On the used flashers on ebay, if they have tunes on them, does that mean they are locked to a specific vehicle?

How can the person selling it tell if it is locked to a specific vehicle?

If its used it doesnt always mean its locked, its locked when the stock tune of the truck/car is loaded into the tuner to load a custom tune. Soon as the car is returned back to stock with the tuner, it is now unlocked to be used on any car/truck its setup for.

If you purchase a used ExCal2 you need to ensure that it is unlocked. If it isn't this is a service SCT can provide but will cost you. My cost for obtaining the RMA for unlock is $200.00+shipping(to and from SCT and me)+ the cost of custom tuning. If you resell a unit which is vin locked to the vehicle the unit isn't any good unless you unlock the device other than datalogging and pulling check engine codes. Please note that I get alot of customers price shopping and end up purchasing from large warehouses. They get a new unit for $379.00 but without custom tunes. If they seek additional custom tunes, the cheaper unit just cost them more than a unit which I sell for $389.00 loaded with custom tunes. If you have any other questions email or pm me. Thanks-j

BTW- Chips aren't necessary with a flasher, they do the same thing. I don't recommend a chip for your application either, only the flasher.

On the used flashers on ebay, if they have tunes on them, does that mean they are locked to a specific vehicle?

How can the person selling it tell if it is locked to a specific vehicle?

That is the rub, you don't know if you can use it. You know the seller beware motto, that's why it's almost always better to trust a programmer to sell you a usable flasher. Good luck,

Back