SHOCKS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SHOCKS

I'm on my second set of stock Motocraft shocks and they're still working with 195,000 miles on my 1994 Explorer XLT. I spent five years living on on dirt and gravel mountain roads in New Mexico and some of the miles were on rough roads at filming locations with a full load on board. The first set lasted so long I insisted on Motocraft for the second set and will do so again when I need to replace them again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought two pairs of the KYB 561001 MonoMax shocks. I tried to get the Max Control shocks from Autozone, they are gone, they were clearancing those.

I need a new pair for my 99 truck, and I should need new ones for one of my others soon. Amazon had four of these left for $41 each, Rock Auto was $48, while Advance wants $105 each I think it was.

You have to shop around for these kinds of wild priced parts. Different sources run odd pricing, and the wild range of costs based on quality, adds to seller's varying pricing. So shop around briefly when buying shocks.

Have been using Bilsteins since 2008 and won't use anything else. Tried all the other top end brand names and they gave up the ghost after 3-5 years. Current Bilsteins been on the X for 11 years and I won't use anything else.

^ $10 shocks. Same poster raving about the proprietary Goodyear Wranglers from WalMart for $55 each.
Walmart TIRE SALE

You almost always get what you pay for with tires and suspension parts. Done.

I have Goodyear tires they are great not $55 tho

Last I got them t I think it was 70 or 75 a tire

^ $10 shocks. Same poster raving about the proprietary Goodyear Wranglers from WalMart for $55 each.
Walmart TIRE SALE

You almost always get what you pay for with tires and suspension parts. Done.
I see no reason for 400 dollar shocks on a truck that would sell for 1500 or tires that cost more than half the trucks value , like putting 2000 dollars worth of rims on a 1500 dollar vehicle, does not make it worth 3500 ...and those wranglers are still ok after 5 years , I am just replacing because I can at a good deal on a proven set of tires

It's funny I tried different tires wall Mart special they cupped so bad now it's Goodyears turn lol now I'm not saying Wal-Mart tires are great at all but works for me I replace them when they show any signs of hardness

But suddenly my truck has been going through tires :D from cornering my wife enjoying that truck

I had an apointment booked for goodyear wranglers at walmart, and after looking around the web plus the wal mart reviews showing they have blowouts and are only rated up to 35psi, I cancelled and went to discount tire instead. I then got some goodyear wrangler trailrunner a/ts they have a max of 44 or 50 psi plus much higher treadwear and a stronger side wall, they were 100 a tire but came with a 40 mail in rebate which i did get back from goodyear so I feel better about spending a bit more.

Why would you ever need to put more than 35PSI in tires on a Explorer?

Anyway, shocks. If mine wasn't a specific built off-road vehicle I would not spend a whole lot of money on shocks. As is, I spent $75 each on Bilsteins for the rear and a lot more for the Radflo coil overs up front. If it was a daily driver, I would go for the cheapest shocks I could get that worked. I put some "heavy duty" shocks on clearance off RockAuto on the rear of my Silverado and they work fine. Cost me $28 each. Shocks and tires are a personal choice. There is really no right or wrong answer.

Why would you ever need to put more than 35PSI in tires on a Explorer?
I don't see a need for high PSI in the Explorer application, but the point is if you look at wal-mart reviews of the Goodyear Wrangler, the older ones were rated to 44PSI. Many reviewers said the new Wranglers had a much thinner sidewall so it would stand to reason a tire with a higher max PSI rating would be stronger higher quality tire with probably a thicker sidewall. Hope that makes sense.

I see no reason for 400 dollar shocks on a truck that would sell for 1500 or tires that cost more than half the trucks value , like putting 2000 dollars worth of rims on a 1500 dollar vehicle, does not make it worth 3500 ...and those wranglers are still ok after 5 years , I am just replacing because I can at a good deal on a proven set of tires
Because in the end the tire is the ONLY thing contacting the road. Cheap tires can cause an accident, make an accident considerably worse, or kill you, your loved ones, or someone you don’t even know.

Saving a few bucks on tires might just cost you dearly. The value of the car is entirely irrelevant. If you can’t afford to run decent tires, you can’t afford to drive.

As far as shocks go, for these trucks, like GmanPaint has said, you’ll have to skip the direct bolt ins if you want something with excellent performance.

Seems Goodyear Wranglers have a less than stellar history on EF and MANY other forums.
Here's the first thread from from the link on the bottom. $50 each from WalMart in 2003. Again, you get what you pay for.
Goodyear Wrangler Radials

Google Custom Search.

Seems Goodyear Wranglers have a less than stellar history on EF and MANY other forums.
Here's the first thread from from the link on the bottom. $50 each from WalMart in 2003. Again, you get what you pay for.
Goodyear Wrangler Radials

Google Custom Search.

I have to agree. IMO Goodyear Wrangler's suck big time. Our '00 AWD Mountaineer had Wrangler's on it when I bought it. Horrible tires. lousy ride, poor handling. I replaced them w/in weeks of buying the truck. Personally I prefer Michelin's.

I have to agree. IMO Goodyear Wrangler's suck big time. Our '00 AWD Mountaineer had Wrangler's on it when I bought it. Horrible tires. lousy ride, poor handling. I replaced them w/in weeks of buying the truck. Personally I prefer Michelin's.

maybe you need a balance and alignment, mine ride smooth and handle great, I am not an off road guy, so that may be your problem, I live in a place with decent roads and sand if anything I need to traverse

That video don't work for me

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back