Shoe Creek, GWNF VA - Trail Run - Sep 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shoe Creek, GWNF VA - Trail Run - Sep 20

DominicanX

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
Ok I finally have the state of mind to get this started. Back in school and in the full swing of the crazy rush hour traffic, I need to get out of the D.C. area.

The final consensus is Shoe Creek! And the date September 20th. That's only 14 days from today, so get your ish together. Below is some info on the trail head and directions i got from some other sites:

The GPS coordinates to the trail head are:
37' 47.263 N
079' 06.173 W

VA FR 826 (for those that have a Delorme Virginia Map)

The trail head is near Alhambra, VA (so if you map quest it, you will see Perkins Mill Road. The start is at the end of Perkins Mill Rd near Alhambra on the right).

From Food Lion/Gas Station shopping center in Lovingston, VA

Head South on Thomas Nelson HYW / US-29 / VA-56 W (approx 4 miles)
Turn Right on VA-158/VA-56/Tye Brook HWY (1.1 miles)
Right on Roseland Rd (3.2 miles)
Roseland Rd becomes VA-655 (0.0 miles)
VA-655 becomes Roseland Rd (0.7 miles)
Sharp left on VA-151 / Patrick Henry HWY (0.1 miles)
Right onto VA-56 / Crabtree Falls HWY (1.8 miles)
Left onto Dickie Rd (1.6 miles)
Turn left to stay on Dickie Rd (1.0 miles)
Dickie Rd becomes Jack Hill Rd (2.0 miles)
Turn Right onto Perkins Mill Rd (2.5 miles) Stay right on Perkins Mill Road (<1.0miles) to Shoe Creek Trail Head

AGAIN: The above is a copy and paste, so adapt the directions according to where you are starting from.

I know there has been talk of some participants camping up at Fishfood's spot and I will let him chime in on that piece of it.

And the ultimate question....Who's in!???

I will be there at the trail head in the AM and will be up for a day ride and will be headed up afterward.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Type this into Google Maps and it should help:

Shoe Creek Trail Head, near Forest Road 263, George Washington and Jefferson National Forest, Tyro, VA

I'm about 75% in as of now, child and animal care might hold me back from joining in. If I come it will be a Friday and Saturday event for me.

Xeek- Considering I still don't have all the parts from you to rebuild your front axle and I know your rebuilding the top end of your motor, I'll be very surprised to see that red ranger there lol. 12 days and counting

Found it!

Mike,

Didn't see the meeting time in your post but other than that sounds great. Unless something changes I am in for the Saturday morning meeting/ride.

I understand that some may be arriving at camp fishfood on Thursday.... look forward to seeing you then. I will be there Thursday (if not earlier)

yeah JD we can go into town for dinner drinks etc. whatever floats your boat. speaking of which anyone interested in a canoe float down the James?

Yep I did not put up a trail head meet up time; wanted to leave that piece up for discussion.

James and I are driving from NOVA the day of; about 3 hrs, so i'm thinking a 10am start at the earliest. I might consider doing a late Friday night drive that way. We shall see.

For those camping, what time would ya'll want to rise and get out there? How long is your trip from camp site to trailhead?

Camp Fishfood (aka buttholeville) is 37 miles, and 1 hour 11 minutes according to google. As to start time .... doesn't matter to me... I am an old fart and up at crack of dawn regardless of what is going on.

I will not be joining in on this run, I just have way too much going on in the next week and unless I can clone myself I can't get it all done. I'll DEFINITELY make the next run through since it's my schedule holding me back, the truck is ready to go.

I will not be joining in on this run, I just have way too much going on in the next week and unless I can clone myself I can't get it all done. I'll DEFINITELY make the next run through since it's my schedule holding me back, the truck is ready to go.

Bummer man! You will have to set up the next run when you are ready to hit the trails...or the beaches.

My schedule is looking a little better. So it is looking like I will be in with my Ranger.

I owe you a call

My schedule is looking a little better. So it is looking like I will be in with my Ranger.

sorry dude, I owe you a phone call... I have been laying low with is flu crap but I will call you on Monday at the latest.

Saturday is fast approaching, i'm still in, and I believe James is too. Just working on a departure time on this end. I'm proposing a trail meet up time of 11am. That will give me until 8am to get out of the NoVA area.

Any thoughts, confirmations, or cancelations?

And with that ...im out also.:( that was my last ride and honestly I got alot going on also plus have to work that Sunday. .next time ill have the ex up in better condition so I can drive up!!! Man I miss it up there :(

This is quick looking like a rescheduling...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back