Signal Mirrors? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Signal Mirrors?

Not sure if I'm in the right subsection or not. but I was looking at Signal mirrors (Muth) online and wondered this: they have the Signal mirrors, and Heated signal mirrors to replace if you had heated mirrors in the first place. How much trouble are the Signal mirrors to install, and how much more trouble would it be to upgrade my mirrors to heated while I'm at it? in WI heated mirrors would be nice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Simple. The glass just pops out. The instructions are very detailed with many colored pictures. For heated, all they do is take a sticker with metal lines in it and 2 prongs for wiring. You could probably buy an aftermarket kit for less than the $60 (?) extra Muth charges.

huskyfan23 said:
Simple. The glass just pops out. The instructions are very detailed with many colored pictures. For heated, all they do is take a sticker with metal lines in it and 2 prongs for wiring. You could probably buy an aftermarket kit for less than the $60 (?) extra Muth charges.

Did you do the heated, and the signal mirrors? or just the heated? I'm guessing that I would need to run wiring back into the body for the signals, and the heated? or does the (I have a '99 XLT) stock harness include the plugs for heated or turns?

I did the "blind spot" Muth mirrors. Yes you have to run the wires back into the body to tap a blinker wire.
With the heated you would also need to find the wire going to the back glass to tap for the mirrors.
I dont remember seeing any unused wires in the mirror area.

mavrick1903 said:
Did you do the heated, and the signal mirrors? or just the heated? I'm guessing that I would need to run wiring back into the body for the signals, and the heated? or does the (I have a '99 XLT) stock harness include the plugs for heated or turns?
Yeah, heated. They don't make mirrors for my year so I bought some aftermarket ('01) assemblies and then bought some '02 Muth glass from a member on another X site. Didn't know it was different from '01. I ended up dropping one of the mirrors and used a hairdryer to get the LED assemblies and heat stickers off. I pulled the glass from my mirrors and put everything on there. Works great. Not as bright as Muth, but you can't even tell they're there until I brake or pop the signal, Muth's glass has frosted circles where the LED's shine through. I ran my wires through the door to the driver-side floor right at the edge. There was a big bushel of wires and I checked my Haynes to find which to tap into. I connected the heater wires to the rear defroster switch.

Back