Signature LED Lights | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Signature LED Lights

New wrinkle on this discussion: Am I correct that the "Daytime Running Lamps" is a combination of both the Signature LED lights and the LED low beam headlights at the same time?

I was under the impression that shutting off the Daytime Running Lamps through the settings on the dash would turn off the LED low beam headlights but leave the Signature Lights on, but I don't think we have that option. Has anyone else checked this? I would much prefer to have the Signature Lights on only in the daytime.

It looks like the only way to have the Signature Lights on without the LED low beam headlights is to activate the parking lights. I'm thinking this dims the Signature Lights and would activate the taillights, the license plate lights, dash lights, etc.

Curious to hear if others have tested this or if I'm just not observing it properly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New wrinkle on this discussion: Am I correct that the "Daytime Running Lamps" is a combination of both the Signature LED lights and the LED low beam headlights at the same time?

I was under the impression that shutting off the Daytime Running Lamps through the settings on the dash would turn off the LED low beam headlights but leave the Signature Lights on, but I don't think we have that option. Has anyone else checked this? I would much prefer to have the Signature Lights on only in the daytime.

It looks like the only way to have the Signature Lights on without the LED low beam headlights is to activate the parking lights. I'm thinking this dims the Signature Lights and would activate the taillights, the license plate lights, dash lights, etc.

Curious to hear if others have tested this or if I'm just not observing it properly.

For us Canadians, the LED accent lights are our daytime running lights.
The reason I say this, is that the LED accents cannot be turned off when the vehicle is running and e-brake is off.
The LED lowbeams only come on when lighting is set to on or auto.

Are you saying you don't have the option of turning the DRL off? The manual shows two Types. Type 1 is the conventional DRL that automatically comes on and Type 2 is the configurable DRL which allows you to set them ON or OFF via the Information Display Controls. A lengthy video I watched had both the LED lows and Signature lights on so I'm guessing that is the DRL setup, for U.S. Explorers anyway.

Peter

Are you saying you don't have the option of turning the DRL off? The manual shows two Types. Type 1 is the conventional DRL that automatically comes on and Type 2 is the configurable DRL which allows you to set them ON or OFF via the Information Display Controls. A lengthy video I watched had both the LED lows and Signature lights on so I'm guessing that is the DRL setup, for U.S. Explorers anyway.

Peter

Nope, I'm saying that when I turn the DRL off via the Information Display Controls (I have Type 2 in my 2016 Explorer Sport), it not only turns off the LED low beam headlights, it also turns off the Signature Lights. I'd prefer to have the option to have the Signature Lights on at full brightness in the daytime, but not the low beam headlights as well.

For us Canadians, the LED accent lights are our daytime running lights.
The reason I say this, is that the LED accents cannot be turned off when the vehicle is running and e-brake is off.
The LED lowbeams only come on when lighting is set to on or auto.

Hmmmmm, now I'm thinking that maybe I did not try the combination of setting the lighting switch to off and turning off the DRLs via the Information Display Settings.

I don't believe the e-brake being set has anything to do with it... I think the determining factor is whether the transmission is in park or in gear.

I'll try to test a bit more. Definitely would prefer having the Signature LED lights on in the daytime, but not the low beams. It's as if Ford decided that the Signature lights aren't bright enough alone to qualify as DRLs?

I have tried everything and can not get the Signature LEDs to shut off while the ignition is on. Bought the car in the US. Not sure if the Canadian ones are setup different since I'm pretty sure DRL are required in Canada.

I have tried everything and can not get the Signature LEDs to shut off while the ignition is on. Bought the car in the US. Not sure if the Canadian ones are setup different since I'm pretty sure DRL are required in Canada.
Yes, DRLs are required here by law and in post 42 613GT500 mentioned that the LED accent lights are the DRL. I'm guessing he is referring to the LED Signature lights.

Pete

Hmmmmm, now I'm thinking that maybe I did not try the combination of setting the lighting switch to off and turning off the DRLs via the Information Display Settings.

I don't believe the e-brake being set has anything to do with it... I think the determining factor is whether the transmission is in park or in gear.

I'll try to test a bit more. Definitely would prefer having the Signature LED lights on in the daytime, but not the low beams. It's as if Ford decided that the Signature lights aren't bright enough alone to qualify as DRLs?

Correction and confirmation.
LED accents (aka light strip running along the top of the headlights) = signature lighting.
When the lighting system is set to auto and during the daytime only, park turns them off and drive turns them back on.

Correction and confirmation.
LED accents (aka light strip running along the top of the headlights) = signature lighting.
When the lighting system is set to auto and during the daytime only, park turns them off and drive turns them back on.
I think that is how most of them work. On my MKT the fog lights are the DRL and are only on when in any gear except Park.

Peter

I think that is how most of them work. On my MKT the fog lights are the DRL and are only on when in any gear except Park.

Peter

It appears that way and we've discussed this before, Ford should have not incorporated the led low beams to go on (even though at a lower intensity) with the signature lighting during the daytime; when set to auto.

It appears that way and we've discussed this before, Ford should have not incorporated the led low beams to go on (even though at a lower intensity) with the signature lighting during the daytime; when set to auto.
I don't have an issue with the LED low beams being on. The more visibility the better IMO.

Peter

Confirmed this morning that turning the lighting switch from Auto to Off leaves the Signature LED lights on but turns the low beam LED headlights off. So strange...

^Right but what if we want to have that happen in auto? I don't care if the signature led strip is on but I want the low beams off on a sunny day until they're needed.

^Right but what if we want to have that happen in auto? I don't care if the signature led strip is on but I want the low beams off on a sunny day until they're needed.

In auto lighting, the LED low beams will never turn off and will only increase/decrease intensity.

In auto lighting, the LED low beams will never turn off and will only increase/decrease intensity.

In Canada that would be correct, USA does not require DRL's so we can shut them off.

Is that true? It appears to me that the LED low beam headlights do not change in intensity when in Auto mode. They do not appear to dim in daylight conditions like lots of GM cars used to when they used depowered high beams as DRLs.

Perhaps the behavior is different in Canada? Do the LED low beams stay illuminated when you move the headlight switch from Auto to Off?

When selected on the dash as Daytime Running Lights, the LED low beams in our Platinum come on at a reduced brightness.

When selected on the dash as Daytime Running Lights, the LED low beams in our Platinum come on at a reduced brightness.
Thanks for that info Charles. I had had wondered about that.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is that true? It appears to me that the LED low beam headlights do not change in intensity when in Auto mode. They do not appear to dim in daylight conditions like lots of GM cars used to when they used depowered high beams as DRLs.

Perhaps the behavior is different in Canada? Do the LED low beams stay illuminated when you move the headlight switch from Auto to Off?

One of these days I will have to try and film this.
I witnessed the light output getting brighter (getting brighter=instantly) when I was entering an underground garage and saw the reflection off another vehicle (in this case the night light symbol also illuminates on the dash).

Moving the light switch from auto to off, completely turns off the low beams.

Back