• Register Today It's free!

Siphoning transmission fluid.

snorris

Reaction score
City, State
Hemet, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' Eddie Bauer
Hello, Can anyone help!!! I want to empty my trans fluid before I drop my trans pan to change the filter I've heard I can do this by hooking a hose to top feeder line at the radiator and dispose of the fluid in a bucket using two people one to hold the hose and the other to start and shut off the engine... in other words I want to empty the transmission so I can drop an empty pan??? As long as the trans is in neutual and I shut the engine off at the last drop of fluid should i worry about the transmission????

Welcome to this forum! I've renamd your thread, and moved it into the transmissions section. That method is good for flushing, but once it loses its prime, it won't work. You have to siphon the fluid out of the dipstick tube. You need a tool like this: http://www.explorerforum.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php/product/321/cat/500
Griot_s_Garage_oil-liquid_extractor_.jpg

Brooklynbay, Thanks for the response...

Unhook one of the lines going into the oil cooler and stick it in a drain pan. Start engine and run until no more fluid comes out. Drop your pan and install drain plug for next time...

Back