Transmission Flushing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Flushing

Ian5700

Reaction score
1.) I know the 5r55e transmission does not have a sump pan drain plug, but does the torque converter have one, if so where about is it located?

2.) With DIY Transmission flushing, are both methods just as good, by this i mean, the first method, taking off the cooler line on the right side of the cooler if looking from front of car, pumping out 0.5 litre than turning off and adding 0.5 litre through dipstick. Or putting the from transmission hose in a bucket and the hose back to the transmission and letting the transmission suck up new fluid? Are they both as good? I think the first method seems easier, as you do not have to worry about the supply being cut off to the new fluid bucket, by the hose being too high up.

3.) As i have read it can be quite difficult to keep up with what comes out the cooler exit line, how much can be safely pumped out at a time, before the engine needs to be shut off to add new fluid through the dipstick, i was thinking 0.5 litre as this is the difference between top and bottom of dipstick, could you get away with 1 litre or is this dangerous for transmission?

You have to use a bucket on the output side of the cooler line to drain the ATF. Have somebody assist you turning the vehicle on, and off while adding ATF through the dipstick filler tube. Keep doing this until you have a clean flow of fluid. Close the line up, and then check the level again while the engine is running. Keep in mind that the level will be lower while it is cold.

And no the TC does not have a drain plug.

Back