skyjacker 4" or 6" lift

biggs85

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer
Hello everyone, I've been coming to this site all the time now and am probably addicted to all the information that I get from it. This is my first post and I the questions I have are probably all answered somewhere but I want to make sure about a few things. I have a 1991 eddie bauer 4wd explorer that is completly stock except for a new cd player and sub. I am really wanting to lift it and get bigger tires. I'm thinking of getting the 4" skyjacker kit with 32x11.50 tires. I was wondering if I would have to get new rear springs if I got the 4" lift and if I got the 6" lift I was wondering if I could do the spring over axle. But I've heard that the spring over axle gives you 5.5" of lift. So do they make a 5.5"? I know that Superlift does but I'm not sure about Skyjacker. Then I was wondering about the steering. Superlift has the new super runner steering kit for about $400 but I haven't seen something similar for the skyjacker kit. I've seen the pitman arms for the 4-6" lift for under $100 but is it the same as Superlift's $400 super runner steering. I want to keep the stock rims because that will save me a lot of money and I've heard they work fine for the 32x11.50 tires. At first I was going to go with the 33x12.50 tires but heard that with the 3.73 gears you would notice a power loss. 32's would seem to work pretty well off road any way. I will drive it on road a lot more than off anyway. I am adding a KKM induction kit so that should help too. Well sorry it is so long and you've probably heard these questions thousands of times but I guess I am too cautious. thanks for your help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Skyjacker makes several different types of lifts. For one they make lift kit and lift systems, lift kits use your old leaf springs and an add a leaf or block, lift systems include new leaf spring packs and are about 300 dollars more. They also have a class I and a class II class one has radius arm drop down brackets and class II has new extended radius arms. The four inch kit keeps the rear springs under the axle and the 6" or 5.5" relocates them above the axle. All of the lifts come with new front coils to my knowledge.

I went with 6" and I would suggest that instead of 4". It went together really well. I have a 91 eddie bauer. I put 32x11.50s on stock wheels and I think it looks really good. Don't worry about the whole 5.5" thing, I ended up putting spacers in the front to raise the front up some more after the lift was on. Good luck!
;)

Thanks for the replies. Hey OscO could you send me some pics of your Explorer or post them hear. My email is cic1@qwest.net
Your lift, tires and everything seem to be what I have in mind to do to my Explorer. Also, did you use spring over axle conversion or did you get new leaf springs? And why did you have to put a spacer to raise the front? Wouldn't the front be higher than the back before you put the spacer in? And last of all, what size and kind of rims do you have and did you regear your differential?

I wanted the front to sit higher, that's the only reason why I put spacers on. I did the spring over. I have stock wheels and stock gears for now. Hopefully I can get pics posted in a couple days. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back