Slosh Module (Solved) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Slosh Module (Solved)

Oh... Ok. We took a little detour in the troubleshooting earlier because of the 10V reading, it's a false reading from the PCM. If you put a little test light on that 10V and measured the voltage again, I bet you get 0 V. The PCM has semiconductors, they do funny things with voltage under no load. So, all of that was a red herring. I think you got it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We will see what we wind up with, seems like there is a lot of detours under the hood some days. I could not have done it without you and the others on this forum and for that I am very grateful. If I can figure how to work with the pics I will upload pics and explanation of this maybe it will help someone else. I will update when I have driven and re-read the codes. Thank everyone so much.

Paul

So I drive it for a couple of days and things are fine, then last night it's back and worse than ever. Getting code 556 again, I'm running out of hair to pull out!!

I read in another forum somewhere that the fuel pump relay is affected by the EEC relay and they are not interchangeable so I replaced the EEC relay and it ran like a top for 2 days and then I had to have it towed, again. Must be a short somewhere still getting 556 code so I am having a mechanic look at it tomorrow.

Ok... yeah, it's getting expensive if you are paying to have it towed around. If you don't mind, would you post what they found and fixed?

Thanks and good luck!
Thanks for your time, yes I will post what he finds. Fortunately I have roadside assistance so nothing out of pocket. While I was waiting a heater valve busted to have to replace that first! This is getting old!. LOL

Just discovered something that could be IMPORTANT. The error code 556 states that there is a fault with the Primary Fuel pump relay circuit. The primary side of the Fuel Pump Relay is connection #85 and #86, #30 and #87 are the Secondary side of the relay. That should narrow your search down some.

Are you still working on this? I thought you were going to a mechanic? That 556 is simply telling you there is no voltage coming off the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump. Fuse #18, relay, connections.

I just picked up a new project car, so I'm not going to be around much from here on out. Best of Luck!

Are you still working on this? I thought you were going to a mechanic? That 556 is simply telling you there is no voltage coming off the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump. Fuse #18, relay, connections.

I just picked up a new project car, so I'm not going to be around much from here on out. Best of Luck!

Sounds like you have a new fun project to play with. The latest as of today I have checked and rechecked all the connections, all the relays, all the wiring harnesses, all the spade connections are tight and clean. The mechanic has been tied up so he hasn't been able to look at it. I have 13 VDC going into the fuel pump relay and 9.9+ coming out, and I have 9.9+ at the fuel pump, there is a resistor in the relay right? It ran good and I had only code 111 on all levels, then came home and rechecked it and 556 was back in KOEO, and 2 completely new codes in KOER #212 and #412. Is there anything else that could possibly cause the 556 and it that related to the other codes by any chance. Do you think it could be the ECM? I know I am sure getting tired of bugging you guys all the time but this one has me baffled.

Yeah, I picked up a Chevy Avalanche... it's a bit of a monster.

There isn't a resistor in the relay. Sometimes there's a diode across the coil, but not a resistor. You measured 13V going in the relay and 9.9V coming out. Your problem is between those two points.

The ECM... I suppose if it failed in a certain way, it could be sinking some voltage, but this would really surprise me.

I don't know. At this point, I might suggest waiting on the mechanic. The reason I'm saying this is that I know everything that could possibly cause this, and none of it is expensive or will take long to find. So, there's always a balance... is it worth 4 hours of your time to fix something your mechanic could in one hour?

If you go with the mechanic, do this and he will be very happy: I put up 3 scanned pages in an earlier post. Print those out for him.

If you want to keep going here, tell me exactly where you measured the 13V and 9.9V. I'm not working much next week, and I'm happy to continue helping.

Roadrunner, thank so very much for your time and patience on this debacle. I was getting some bizarre (to me) readings. With #30 and #85 hot #87a was hot all the time and #87 never got hot. Also #85 and #86 got transposed, can you say dyslexic. Anyway mechanic came out today, pulled relay out, replugged it in, like I had done 15 times, said that was the problem and told me to drive it. Well......that didn't fix it anymore than when I had done it!! It is now sitting at a shop waiting for Monday and who knows what. I will keep you posted and thanks again for spending so much time and energy with me. The saga continues. And good luck with your Avalanche.

Roadrunner, thank so very much for your time and patience on this debacle. I was getting some bizarre (to me) readings. With #30 and #85 hot #87a was hot all the time and #87 never got hot. Also #85 and #86 got transposed, can you say dyslexic. Anyway mechanic came out today, pulled relay out, replugged it in, like I had done 15 times, said that was the problem and told me to drive it. Well......that didn't fix it anymore than when I had done it!! It is now sitting at a shop waiting for Monday and who knows what. I will keep you posted and thanks again for spending so much time and energy with me. The saga continues. And good luck with your Avalanche.
I'd bypass the wiring at the relay and add each part of the circuit in one at a time till the problem reappears. Spade connectors, wire, inline fuse and a switch.
#30 is the battery + supply
#85 is the ground - return
#86 is the switch, which comes from the eec
#87 goes to the pump

I'd bypass the wiring at the relay and add each part of the circuit in one at a time till the problem reappears. Spade connectors, wire, inline fuse and a switch.
#30 is the battery + supply
#85 is the ground - return
#86 is the switch, which comes from the eec
#87 goes to the pump

According to a previous post by Roadrunner777:

Where are you measuring the 10V exactly? Which wire, which ground? If you can read schematics, you should be able to solve this with the diagrams I am attaching.

Here is the current path from the battery to the fuel pump:
Battery + terminal ->big red wire->starter relay lug->big black wire->Power Distribution Box
Power Distribution Box->Fuse#18->Fuel Pump Relay
Fuel Pump Relay to PCM and Inertia switch (both Dark Green/yellow wires)
Inertia Switch->Pink/black wire->Fuel Pump->Ground return to Battery

Thanks for the reply. Here is something I found quite handy, I took and old relay apart and removed the spade connectors, you can then use them and jumpers to plug in to the appropriate connectons in the power dist. box and
test the relay and measure voltages with the relay in your hand. That is what I did and like I said, when I measured between #30 and ground I got 13VDC, I then measured between #85 and ground and got 13VDC I then measured, I then measured between #87 and ground and got 13VDC---these were all measured from the power dist box connections with the relay out.. I then used the jumpers and spade connectors ( I took from the bad relay) to hook the relay into the appropriate lugs(like it would be plugged it). Then measured again. This time measuring from the lugs connected to the relay with the #87 still unplugged and hot. At the relay #85,#86, #30, and #87a all had 13VDC and #87(at relay) was NOT hot, So from what little I know this didn't seem right. It is now in the hands of a mechanic and we will see what happens. Thanks again everyone.....the debauchel go on.

I transposed #85 and #86, guess I'm dyslexic too. With the relay out, no voltage should be on #86 or #87.

I transposed #85 and #86, guess I'm dyslexic too. With the relay out, no voltage should be on #86 or #87.

Yes I know that is what has me so confused also, and, at the inertia switch with it unplugged the PK/b is the hot one Not the GR/y..That is backward also?

Well got it back from the mechanic, had it 3 days, said he couldn't find anything?? Exactly 1 mile from the garage, it started it again!! Now have the following codes(was finally able to get codes while it was acting up).

KOEO: 111

Memory: 211,542

KOER:412,538.536,212(these are all new)

Anyone have any suggestions????? This has been a 3 week process and I need to get this fixed, please. Thanks so much for your time and suggestions.

Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, basically whenever the engine starts to warm up, you get the issue?

And you checked your plugs, they aren't fouling up?, You don't believe you are leaking coolant into the heads, as oil didn't look bad?

Did you ever get the fuel pressure gauge?

Back