Something I found with my ST re Easy Entry / Exit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Something I found with my ST re Easy Entry / Exit

Spacey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I have a 2020 ST. I remember a number of posts where the "Easy Entry" function of the driver's seat stopped moving the seat back or moved it forward. Yesterday after making a number of small adjustments to my seat I noticed that the "Easy Entry" function stopped moving the seat back. The steering wheel moved up but the seat stayed in place. A number of start-stop cycles of the car didn't fix it. I decided to disable and enable the Easy Entry function using the display screen to see if that had an effect. I disabled the feature after which the function was greyed out on the screen and could not be enabled. Multiple start-stop cycles of the car didn't fix this, and I figured the thing was broken and a dealer visit would be necessary. As a last resort I moved the seat to a suitable driving position, then stored that position using the button on the door panel and stored it to my key. After doing this, the Easy Entry function could be enabled and it again worked as expected. I don't know why it stopped functioning or why my actions resolved the issue, but if others have this problem you might give this a try.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the tip. Mine is working but you never know.

I have a 2020 ST. I remember a number of posts where the "Easy Entry" function of the driver's seat stopped moving the seat back or moved it forward. Yesterday after making a number of small adjustments to my seat I noticed that the "Easy Entry" function stopped moving the seat back. The steering wheel moved up but the seat stayed in place. A number of start-stop cycles of the car didn't fix it. I decided to disable and enable the Easy Entry function using the display screen to see if that had an effect. I disabled the feature after which the function was greyed out on the screen and could not be enabled. Multiple start-stop cycles of the car didn't fix this, and I figured the thing was broken and a dealer visit would be necessary. As a last resort I moved the seat to a suitable driving position, then stored that position using the button on the door panel and stored it to my key. After doing this, the Easy Entry function could be enabled and it again worked as expected. I don't know why it stopped functioning or why my actions resolved the issue, but if others have this problem you might give this a try.
I had the same issue occur on my 2020ST and it was not resolved yet so will try your fix. I had noticed previously that when I stored a position in the memory for seat position and used the "easy entry" option that after a few cycles the seat position would have moved forward about an inch or so. No matter how many times I would reset the position it would always adjust forward slightly in the memory location after just a few cycles. Anyone else see this happen?

Ford uses STUPID computers! Our 2008 Edge gets stupid on the seat
settings all the time! Reset, relearn and after a few cycles, well you know the drill.
Now about my "Smart TV"........

Are we glad to live in such an age of "Smart Things"?

Some folks here had seat control modules replaced under warranty when something similar to my issue happened. It may very well be that the controllers are failed or failing, mine included, or that it has some Ford created software quirk. No idea. There seem to be many quirks or features associated with these cars. My better half is fundamentally opposed to extended warranties, but I am trying to convince her that it is warranted for these vehicles. I have absolutely no faith in the car.

Ford uses STUPID computers! Our 2008 Edge gets stupid on the seat
settings all the time! Reset, relearn and after a few cycles, well you know the drill.
Now about my "Smart TV"........

Are we glad to live in such an age of "Smart Things"?
The issue is not the BCM. The BCM is an inert object. The issue resides with the software and that, is the achilles heel. Why? Because a human being did the coding ! YMMV

The more complex our vehicles become, the more things can go wrong. Heaven help us if someone decides to hit us with an E.M.P. Then the only vehicles that still works will be the old 12V Cummins in the dodge trucks with a manual trans. At least they have a manual over ride for the fuel cutoff and can be push started.

The issue is not the BCM. The BCM is an inert object. The issue resides with the software and that, is the achilles heel. Why? Because a human being did the coding ! YMMV

It's not inert, it's an active signal processor which can malfunction due to wiring, hardware, or software issues. When it's powered up it's doing something, so I cannot consider that an inert object.

The more complex our vehicles become, the more things can go wrong. Heaven help us if someone decides to hit us with an E.M.P. Then the only vehicles that still works will be the old 12V Cummins in the dodge trucks with a manual trans. At least they have a manual over ride for the fuel cutoff and can be push started.

Old gas engines with breaker point ignitions will be able to run as well.

Not if the EMP wipes out your battery. point ignition still needs DC power to operate.

Not if the EMP wipes out your battery. point ignition still needs DC power to operate.

As a general rule, all kinds of batteries can survive an EMP blast. However, some have argued that certain types might fare better than others.
For instance, some people say that wet-cell batteries are more resistant to EMP than dry-cell ones. This can be explained by looking at their chemical composition. Wet-cell batteries use lead-acid, so they are more stable by default. Their conductive material is more compact thanks to heavy plates keeping it in place. Dry-cell batteries, on the other hand, use zinc powder, which tends to move around as time goes by. This is what causes them to fail more often. The riskiest batteries to use are those found in portable devices. They are frequently attached to micro-controllers and electronic equipment, which is vulnerable to EMP.

My point was that the old 12v Cummins can run without any electrical power at all. Basically any mechanically injected diesel can. Hell on the Cummins you can take out the battery and leave on the side of the road, start it up and drive away.

My point was that the old 12v Cummins can run without any electrical power at all. Basically any mechanically injected diesel can. Hell on the Cummins you can take out the battery and leave on the side of the road, start it up and drive away.

As long as it's a manual transmission truck, yes it can because you could bump start it. You can't bump start an automatic unless it has a rear pump, and they haven't used those since the '60s.

A gas engine car can run without a battery if it uses a magneto distributor.

Thanks for the post. This is the reason I came here. I bought my 2020 ST about a month ago and took it back a few days later because of this issue. I'm 6'6" so when the seat started moving forward after I shut the car off I could barely get out of the car. So I tried all my own trouble shooting and then finally took it back and have been driving a rental since, off their lot. I was told it was a software issue and that they are going back and forth on a chat with Ford troubleshooting and they still have not figured it out. Brand new module was installed but they cannot figure out how to program it. So looking at the comments then I guess its legit a software issue.

If you have a manual trans behind it, you could always push start it

Thanks for the post. This is the reason I came here. I bought my 2020 ST about a month ago and took it back a few days later because of this issue. I'm 6'6" so when the seat started moving forward after I shut the car off I could barely get out of the car. So I tried all my own trouble shooting and then finally took it back and have been driving a rental since, off their lot. I was told it was a software issue and that they are going back and forth on a chat with Ford troubleshooting and they still have not figured it out. Brand new module was installed but they cannot figure out how to program it. So looking at the comments then I guess its legit a software issue.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Please keep us in the loop. Thanks.

Peter

Back