Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS

So seeing as spring is just around the corner, I thought I'd start a thread on the future undertaking of swapping in the Dana 60.

The axle is from a 1986 "Fawwd" F-threee "fitty", sporting some kingpins and a whole lot of rust. I took this axle apart a few months ago (except stupid me didnt remove the pinion nut before breakdown :rolleyes:) and had it hot tanked. I wanted it sandblasted, but the machine shop owner smirked and said "naaah yo, that junx is too big for my blasting cabinet" .. okay except he didn't really say that cauz he's old and a really cool guy. ANyways *twirls blonde hair*, this is my plaannn:

- WMS-WMS this axle is just a bit over 69" wide so I'm going to cut the passenger's side down a few inches to match 'ye ol General Motors 14-bolt axle. So this is going to require custom axle shafts and I think I'm going to go Chromos and 35-spline outers off the bat from the most awesome guys at Complete Off Road.

- Drive flange or lockouts? They are about the same in price and its a dedicated trail rig so I'm leaning towards the drive flanges. Right now, the cheapest flanges I found are the Teraflexes at $180 for a pair. If anyone knows of a better deal, please let me know :D !!

- High-steer arms and a double-ended hydroponics goodness ("cylinder").

- Opposite-ended panhard bar! The idea is to mount the chassis end of the panhard on the passenger's side frame rail and the axle end on the driver's side. Doing so should allow a more simple and cleaner design since the axle-mount can be mounted on top of or near the differential housing, instead of a tower on the passenger's side (like in my current D44 setup). I also plan to boost the panhard as far up as possible to increase the roll center of the front suspension. Yeah the concept is a little strange but I'm hoping it'll work and won't have any issues (no drag-link to factor into the design). But if anyone knows of any problem running this config, please chime in!

*EDIT*
- Detoit Locker for the carrier. I'm please with how the Detroit in the 14-bolt has performed so I figured I'd run the same in the front. Of course 5.13s to match the 14-bolt.

So here's the little guy, he's been in this position for the past few months just collecting dust:

DSC000871.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So what the plan for the diff? spool, welded, locker?

what's gonna happen to the 44? could throw it in the sammy when it makes it journey to cali hint hint nudge :D

So what the plan for the diff? spool, welded, locker?
Oh what? Ahah I see I didnt even mention it, okay Im going back to edit the original thread (going with a Detroit).

what's gonna happen to the 44? could throw it in the sammy when it makes it journey to cali hint hint nudge :D
Ahaha sorry the Sammy will be there in Cali in a few days, it left at the end of last week.

Well you do drive big rigs, I'm sure you can find a few friends to transport the D44 from here to there! :D

I was wondering what would happen to that d44.......

You need to school me on D60...I need to make some decsions for the buggy.....

Sell out!:p:

Good for you ;) I think if I went 60's I'd change trucks. Maybe a s-cab ranger on a reg cab frame or something. or just go tube buggy:rolleyes:

I was wondering what would happen to that d44.......
The D44 will go for sale at some point.

You need to school me on D60...I need to make some decsions
There's really nothing to it except its a more rare axle so its a bit tougher to come by. But everything you need to know about the Dana 60 is in Bill Vista's Dana 60 Bible. I know you're building the ultimate rig so you may also want to look into building a 609 axle -- which is a hybrid axle with a front Dana 60 outers and rear Ford 9" inners (Hi-9 usually, or a 180-rotated regular 9" but requires a drive shaft rotating in the opposite direction for the front). Its not a cheap solution but its one awesome combo.

My only suggestion would be hubs instead of flanges. I've got alloy shafts and ox joints on my Dana44. I thought I'd never break one, low and behold I hucked a joint out in no mans land. It was more fun to just unlock it and wheel it out in 2wd (with a locker it will still turn the bad shaft otherwise so 3wd isn't an option) then to try to do a big changeout on the spot.

You on the other hand probably will carry spare custom shafts with you on the trail so you would just change it out as you wish.

Drive flange or lockouts? They are about the same in price and its a dedicated trail rig so I'm leaning towards the drive flanges. Right now, the cheapest flanges I found are the Teraflexes at $180 for a pair. If anyone knows of a better deal, please let me know :D !!

First, why bother narrowing it if you have a full width 14 bolt in back? leave it full width and save yourself the trouble.

Definately go with flanges, locking hubs still break even on 60s. And if you are doing enough to break the hubs then kiss your Detroit goodbye. Thats why I went to flanges and will never go back to hubs for a trail rig. Here are a few deals that are better then the Terras:

http://tgtwoffroad.com/store2/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5

Maybe here too but these are old specials, may not be the same price anymore:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627057
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=546970

My only suggestion would be hubs instead of flanges. I've got alloy shafts and ox joints on my Dana44. I thought I'd never break one, low and behold I hucked a joint out in no mans land. It was more fun to just unlock it and wheel it out in 2wd (with a locker it will still turn the bad shaft otherwise so 3wd isn't an option) then to try to do a big changeout on the spot.

You on the other hand probably will carry spare custom shafts with you on the trail so you would just change it out as you wish.
Hey there Danny -- thanks for the input and yes I see your point of using hub lockouts. As you pointed out, its really all about when the axle shafts are going to go boom. But these TeraFlex lockouts on E-bay look promising: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tera...QsspagenameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

First, why bother narrowing it if you have a full width 14 bolt in back? leave it full width and save yourself the trouble.

Definately go with flanges, locking hubs still break even on 60s. Here are a few deals that are better then the Terras:

http://tgtwoffroad.com/store2/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5

Maybe here too but these are old specials, may not be the same price anymore:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627057
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=546970
Wow thanks for the links Brian1 -- those prices are very attractive.

As for narrowing the D60 -- its mainly because the 15" wheels are backspaced so little to clear the calipers. But yeah maybe its time to just keep it at sock width and maybe upgrade to 16" or 17" wheels (like everyone else) with some not-so-odd backspacing.

Upon further review, I may have only damaged my u-joint after I roached a hub. That may have never happened with flanges.

Could a guy remove a flange if you bust a u-joint and limp off the trail?

And why are you so "over" a 44? Have you had breakage?

Custom width is fun, but when I chopped mine down it sure was nice to have it the same width as an availabe shaft. Anybody mass produce shafts for a particular length 60? (maybe currie or somebody has a common size?)

Nothing to add other than i'm waiting in anticipation of some more quality Obama fabbin':D

Could a guy remove a flange if you bust a u-joint and limp off the trail?
Yeah -- its a simple 4 allen-head bolts and snap ring per side.

And why are you so "over" a 44? Have you had breakage?
Yep, broken axle shafts -- three of them so far. And for each axle shaft, a busted U-joint and elongated or destroyed yokes.
axleshaft_03.jpg

Custom width is fun, but when I chopped mine down it sure was nice to have it the same width as an availabe shaft. Anybody mass produce shafts for a particular length 60? (maybe currie or somebody has a common size?)
There are mass produced Chromos for stock lengths (Chevy, Dodge and Ford), but if I chop down, it wont be to the big three's spec. But if I go chromos now, the chances of me breaking them with 40" tires or so will probably be pretty slim .. *knock on wood*

Nothing to add other than i'm waiting in anticipation of some more quality Obama fabbin':D
You bet, I just won South Carolina and maaan, I am PUMPED! I freaking 0hnd Hillary -- my 55 percent to her 27 percent.

Looks promising! Good luck.

Sweet

Send the axle to me (complete) and I will bead-blast it. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Send the axle to me (complete) and I will bead-blast it. :D
You're correct! A complete axle would make more sense. Sooo, fortunately, I came home today to find these at my doorstep:

A Detroit locker for Ford HP
detroit_locker.jpg

5.13 Yukon set
yukon_513s.jpg

And a Yukon master install kit
master_install_kit.jpg

Back