SparkyXplorer-BW4406 Swap | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SparkyXplorer-BW4406 Swap

So, because of my recent discovery of a BW 4406 T-case, I have chosen to join the few who dropped the AWD and are now true "4x4".

For those of you who didn't see my other thread (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=192408) on Identifying this case to see if it was the BW 4406 that I needed.

Well all I know right now is that, this case is from a F250 5.4L V8. I am not sure of the mileage at this point. That is the only thing that will hold this swap off till later.

However, I do know that the guy is willing to just give me the case so the cost as of now is $ 0.00

I have been and will continue to use
410Fortune's
MountaineerGreen's
FlyboyCoe's
Jtsmith's
97V8's
V8boatbuilder's
for research,help, ideas, etc.

The case has no major damages to it that I can see. All the gears are working, no strange noises will turning. The case itself looks pretty good so hopefully not to many miles, but I know that how clean the case is no direct indication of mileage...
Picture%20017.jpg

The sensor on this case "seems" to magnetic...or something similar...
Sensor port...
Picture%20018.jpg

Sensor itself...
Picture%20019.jpg

I know that jaime figured out a way to make his case workable with the speedo but, Will this style be workable to just plug and play with my 99 Explorer Limited?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is aprox. 1/4" or so sticking out...I tried to grab it with some 14" channel locks after spraying it with some WD and PB, no go...So then I brought out a propane torch and tried to heat it and then go at it, no go.....So then heat some more and then iced to bolt to try and cool and shrink it a tiny bit, and put those channel locks on and SQUEZZED like hell and the bolt did not turn out but the 1/4" that was sticking no longer has threads and now has some nice teeth marks that were twisted in by the channel locks...

I plan on trying to go at it with a lefty bit, if no work then....drill it out pretty well and try and tap the threads back in, and then replacing the yoke comes last...

Yeah, I don't doubt that at all....If it is I don't think that many threads are cause it went in pretty far without to much effort. The little retaning bracket that goes around the U-Joint it's self, and that the bolts go through was on when the bolt broke so that was also between the head of the bolt and the mating surface of the yoke...

i have a yoke if you want to buy it. it has the bolts and retaining straps.

How much would you be looking to get incase I do go that route...And Would I be able to put the new yoke in or would that be something that should be labored out, and if the yoke was replaced does that mean that the front diff oil would have to be changed?

no, you dont need to change the oil. 30 bucks shipped. Thats what i paid for it.

All right, well if I have the time I am going to try and get it out on sat., and if that is a no go then I will let you know and go ahead and do that...

I tried for a while on SAt. Going at it with Vise-Grips, a cold chizel and hammer, channel locks...

97 V8... if you want to send me a PM with a paypal count then I will by the yoke/bolts/straps from you

PLEASE HELP SOON!!!!

So today I said F it and finally began to do my T-case swap (yeah I am soaked from all the undercarrage snow melitng and pretty much making me work in a puddle but anywho) I dropped the Awd case and now it comes time to put the new one in....but the alignment pin is stuck in the AWD case and I can not get it out for the life of me....is there any tricks you guys know of or should I go see if I can pick one up before the local part store closes?

Hmm...well I tried that actually even before I read that but I ended up just putting the sealent and sticking the gasket to the trans and got the 4406 on my chest and pushed and wiggled like hell till it went....

You can now offically add me to the 4406 low range club!!! WOOT WOOT after like 6 months lol

It is all bolted up I just need to put in the drive shafts and get the shifter how I want and bolt everthing back up....most likely I will not be finished till midday morrow.....I would work into the night but with the conditions (water all over the floor and like 10 degrees outside) I think I will wait a little...

In the garage but the garage is not house temp.... It is insulated and sheetrocked but no addition heat...I put my space heater out there and it got it to a workable temp but when I just opened the garage door to throw some of the plastic (we layed it down to cover up the snow that had dripped off....3 layers through out the night) but when I went to throw that away OMG wet and out in that!!! my hands hurt just being inside from the heat change...

Loving this completly!!! I have yet to have 4wd cause the front d shaft issues but the case shifts smooth...in 4lo (only 2lo though) You can really tell a differance , you have to press the brakes much harder cause it wants to just crawl along...

ok I think that breath was long enough (still holding it in) but now that I am purple can I let it out yet?

Congrats on gettin that case in. Just wait till you get it out on the trail, you will LOVE it!

Back