• Register Today It's free!

speedometer problems

garagedog369

Reaction score
City, State
egan south dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer 4 wheel
in the mornings heading to work my speedometer seams to be off. it says i'm going 75 mph, but my rpm's are only 1800. which is about 55 mph. it finally comes out off it after 12 miles and 3 stop signings.then it seams all right. same thing on the way home. but not allways. i think the temp matters.any thoughts out there.

Probably just a speedometer cable gone bad. Putting in a new one usually fixes it.

There's a chance cold weather might have something to do with it, either affecting the cable, or the gauge itself. If it does the same thing on warmer days or when driving home once it's been out in the sun, then it might just be worth it to replace the speedo cable and go from there.

It may be the speedometer itself. Mine was doing the same thing. The manufacturer used a grease that turns to wax and creates enough friction to affect the speedometer readings. I had to remove, disassemble, clean, and relubricate the mechanism to resolve my issue. And it works like new! I hope you had good luck with yours as my reply is so late I assume you have resolved your issue by now.....

Back