Sport97's sport | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport97's sport

Post updated:

My name is Vince, I live south of Pittsburgh, Pa. I bought my explorer after i graduated high school(july 08) with 50k for 3500

The Ex:
97 explorer sport, SOHC/auto, leather, moon roof, + mods...

The x: It had 50k miles on it when i got it, and had only minimal rust. Since then the rust has been fixed, and I'm over 100k. Maintenance has been typical with plugs/wires, fuel filter, all 4 ball joints and a thermostat. Running Mobil 1 syn has seemed to quiet the timing chain rattle. Its totally quiet in the summer, and slightly louder in the cold weather.

DSCF8221.jpg

flex2.jpg

CURRENT STATE: 12/2011 @101k

-front skid plate
-removed front valance
-relocated front fog lights
-clear corners
-safari bar/lights (victim of rust and off roading)
-bed liner on a few things
-8" sub w/ amp
-4 pioneer speakers
-air box mod
-new rockers w/o rust:)
-cobra CB w/ 2 3ft wilson whips on the back
-Firestone At's , 265/75/16
-TT
-4 door leaf pack/aal/shackles

Near future:

-f150 tow hooks

Future: 3" body lift, 285/75 M/Ts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got a little mud on the tires today:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

nice x

Looks like fun....did you get any flex?

Thanks Sam.

Glen,
I didn't snag any flex shots, but when i was turning around one time i had it flexed to the max, my back wheel was about 2 feet in the air according to the kid on the quad. I was unable to get to a lot of the spots because the trails had been washed out or they were too narrow(My ex is still a little too nice to tear up), and i was with a quad so there was no one to pull me out. We saw at least a dozen other quads and side by sides. I was the only vehicle back there.

Thanks Sam.

Glen,
I didn't snag any flex shots, but when i was turning around one time i had it flexed to the max, my back wheel was about 2 feet in the air according to the kid on the quad. I was unable to get to a lot of the spots because the trails had been washed out or they were too narrow(My ex is still a little too nice to tear up), and i was with a quad so there was no one to pull me out. We saw at least a dozen other quads and side by sides. I was the only vehicle back there.

i'm going to attribute that to the sway bar as i'm not sure if you have it on or not. I would disco the rear and front when off road, (takes like 15 minutes tops) and you'll get a lot more travel and a less head smashing ride, but like always, make sure you put them back on when you get to the road.

Justin

i'm going to attribute that to the sway bar as i'm not sure if you have it on or not. I would disco the rear and front when off road, (takes like 15 minutes tops) and you'll get a lot more travel and a less head smashing ride, but like always, make sure you put them back on when you get to the road.

Justin

I still have my sway bars. I have considered front quick disconnects. I supposed putting them on both front and rear would be a good/cheap mod. Would i need limit straps for the front if i disconnect the sway bar?

ur welcome vince keep up the good work with ur x

I still have my sway bars. I have considered front quick disconnects. I supposed putting them on both front and rear would be a good/cheap mod. Would i need limit straps for the front if i disconnect the sway bar?

From what I've gathered on here its recommended to use limiting straps in the front or you run the risk of really stressing the CV's and risk breaking them. I've thought about this but think I will leave my front alone but the rear will definitely do much better.

From what I've gathered on here its recommended to use limiting straps in the front or you run the risk of really stressing the CV's and risk breaking them. I've thought about this but think I will leave my front alone but the rear will definitely do much better.

That's what i thought i saw as well.

I will need new shackles this summer, mine are getting pretty rotted, so i'm planning on going with warrior shackles. If i have money and time ill throw on a 4 door leaf pack. I'll do the TT at the same time.

I just did the tt and shackles bout a month ago and like the results but now I see too much wheel well and like the height so now I think I "need" bigger tires. You'll like the results.

I just did the tt and shackles bout a month ago and like the results but now I see too much wheel well and like the height so now I think I "need" bigger tires. You'll like the results.

Once i throw my 31's back on it I think it will look just right with the TT and shackles. I actually had to trim the inside of my flare to fit the 31's because they rubbed.

Well then the 31's with tt's will satisfy ya well then.

Well i filled out my taxes and mr.obama owes me $$. Its not much, but now time to figure out what to buy with it:D

1) shackles
2) alignment after the TT
3) cb antenna taillight mount if someone has one, or ill make one
4) 3ft cb antenna and cable
5) external speaker for my cb radio
6) try to patch my 31" BFG, or find a used one with 50% tread to match the rest of the set.
7) Make a light bar for the roof and 4 lights and wire kit
8) Mount 2 lights under rear bumper
9) Custom air intake

-That will be over my refund amount but im good spending a little bit over.

..or i could spend it on new plugs, wires and fuel filter....

I probably will buy the mods with my refund and use a paycheck to do my maintenance that way it is easier to justify it.

Well i filled out my taxes and mr.obama owes me $$. Its not much, but now time to figure out what to buy with it:D

1) shackles
2) alignment after the TT
3) cb antenna taillight mount if someone has one, or ill make one
4) 3ft cb antenna and cable
5) external speaker for my cb radio
6) try to patch my 31" BFG, or find a used one with 50% tread to match the rest of the set.
7) Make a light bar for the roof and 4 lights and wire kit
8) Mount 2 lights under rear bumper
9) Custom air intake

-That will be over my refund amount but im good spending a little bit over.

Everything except number 8 sounds like a good alternative. I speak from experience, putting lights under your rear bumper, and under your front bumper is not the best place for them. if you do off roading, at all, you will lose them. I've had two different sets, and they've both been destroyed. If you need to have lights in the back, my suggestions would be on the bumper (in the cutout where your plate is), on the roof, or attached to the frame (not as helpful) or what i'll end up doing, putting them into the bumper by cutting out a plate.

Justin

Justin,

I have considered that they will be hanging low, but i have a tow hitch so i they will not be the lowest point. I guess the only way they would get smashed would be if i backed into a hill or something similar, which probably will happen at some point. Maybe i wont put them on, i'm not sure yet.
Thanks for the input.

Another suggestion would be to find a 97 mounty rear bumper since it has reflectors in and just replace the reflectors with lights so that they're inside the bumper to protect some (I've thought of doing this). With having them under the bumper if you flex right then one side will get smashed whether the hitch is there or not. But your plans sound good!

Glen that is a very cool idea. My bumper is rusty and i have thought of getting the mounty rear bumper with the reflectors. I like the idea of trying to mount lights in there.

That's what I've thought of doing. After you take the reflectors out weld a small piece of plate on the inside so you have something to tap into to mount the light bracket to.

Ive decided it is time to do rust extermination next month. This is the plan of attack(not necessarily this order):

1)Remove plastic trim from rockers to survey the damage. I know the drivers side needs replaced. I think the passenger side is ok; I will just sand and repaint it.

2) Sand and paint inside bottom lip of doors and hatch and under the plastic pad on the door sill

3) Removed rear fender flares, I believe the interior panels and rear seats need to be pulled to undo the clips holding them in, is this correct?

4) Repair or replace drivers side, maybe passenger side dogleg.

5) Pull rear bumper off, remove step pad to sand and repaint it.

6) Find a good condition 99+ front bumper.

-Any luck finding dog legs anywhere? I member said he had a shop that carries them and i PMed him but he may no longer be active:(
I guess i'm on my own with some sheet metal and bondo to make them.

When I did my rear bumper cover I did not take the bumper off I just took a long flat head screw driver and hammer and tapped the plastic tabs on the inside of the bumper and the carefully pried up on the pad and took it off easily, just another idea... There is a company that still makes the dog legs because I recently took my truck to a garage to get an estimate to get them and the rockers replaced and they were available I can't remember how much they were though. I'll see if I can find a source for ya on them.

Back