O.D. and intermediate band adjusting screw threads | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

O.D. and intermediate band adjusting screw threads

Bruce Rock

Reaction score
City, State
Kaukauna, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I am having a hard time determining the size of the threads on the O.D. and intermediate band adjusting studs with a thread gage. They are rusted. I need to chase the threads before I can adjust the servos. Anybody know what they are?

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you aware that if you back off the adjustment too far the band anchor will fall out of place inside of the transmission and you will need to pull it apart to re-install them?

Never loosen the stud.

I have no idea what size the threads are, just don't want you to have that issue.

This trans is metric FYI.

Thank you for the reply.

I was aware backing the stud all the way out would cause the apply strut to drop out but I wasn't aware turning it out a couple of turns could do the same. If that's the case, the damage may have been done. Hope to find out tomorrow.

I'm sure that you can back it off a bit, but I am not sure how much.

Hopefully you are good.

Ouch ,, Hopefully the apply strut stayed in place for you .

"Ouch ,, Hopefully the apply strut stayed in place for you . "

Too early to tell. It may be dirt on the modulator pin. I have it at home now and will wait for warmer weather to tear into it.

The rust on the adjusting studs got the better of me. A 12mm 1.5 die would not bit in, and a 14 1.5 nut just slipped over the stud. Wired brushed the stud the best I could but when holding the stud with a 5/16" eight point Craftsman socket and backing off the jam nut with a open end 19mm wrench, I rounded the corners of the square on the intermediate adjusting stud. Than I couldn't back the jam nut off far enough to get 120 in-lbs on the adjusting stud.

For the overdrive adjusting stud, I kept working the jam nut back and forth a little at a time for at least 20 minutes. I didn't round the corners of the square and was able to get a good adjustment.

Low and reverse work fine. Just sometimes it doesn't upshift, or if does, sometimes it's a hard shift.

I'll order new adjusting nuts and use them to determine how to chase the threads on the adjusting studs. I ordred one of those $20 USB borescopes
from ebay so I can check for dirt at the modulator pin

I was raised during the Cold War so I can't hate rust, I don't love it either. Best term I can use is Respect.

Do you see what I see, Way up in the sky?

A POWER greater than ours, Way up in the sky
A POWER greater than Powers of the US Air Force, Way up in the sky,
A POWER displayed not with random chance but with rhyme and reason, and Signs and Wonders.
A POWER that echo’s though all of HIS STORY?

RUST put a hole in the Iron Curtain , Francis Gary Powers was shot down,

A few days after 19 year old Mathias RUST landed near St. Basil’s Cathedral, Mikhail Gorbachev replaced the defense minister Sergei Sokolov and anti-air defense commander Alexander Koldunov, a former World War II fighter ace (both of whom were opposed to glasnost and perestroika) with men who supported his policies. More than 2,000 officers (again, most of whom were opposed to Gorbachev’s reform) lost their jobs. This move was critical in winning over the previously fiercely conservative and anti-reform military.

The day (May 28, 1987) Rust landed on the Red Square was also the day selected, in part, by a sign in the heavens to celebrate the Ascension into Heaven of the One who said “store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven, where moth and RUST do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal”.

Since the last leg of Rust’s flight started from the Finnish (Hell-Sink-ee), I believe those of Acts 4:32-35 and Acts 5:12 had more to do with it than the ex-actor Ronald Reagan.

While St. Basils Cathedral was confiscated from the Russian Orthodox community as part of the Soviet Union's anti-theist campaigns and has operated as a division of the State Historical Museum since 1928.[3]and, as of 2012, remains a federal property of the Russian Federation, St. Basil is still buried there.

St. Basil was a 15th century "Holy Fool" beloved in Russian folklore for strolling naked in Moscow winters and speaking his mind to the Czar. Rust, on the other hand, was one whom the KGB said "must have been born with a shirt" after showing him photographs of the bridge he landed on. In the photos, many sets of wires stretched across the bridge, each about six feet apart. They asked Rust how he could possibly land with so many wires in his way. Perplexed himself, Rust explained that when he landed he could see only three sets of wires.

For more on this story see: THE NOTORIOUS FLIGHT OF MATHIAS RUST in the July 2005 issue of AIR&SPACE Smithsonian

http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/rust.html

It might be a good idea to spray the studs with a rust penetrant spray to get the nuts loose. Use anti seize compound or an anti rust compound on the studs while using a new nut with a built in seal.

Bruce...you sound like a unique individual. I think I would enjoy drinking a bottle of scotch with you...

Back