Stic-o's 2019 Ranger XLT FX4 | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stic-o's 2019 Ranger XLT FX4

Well, 80,000 miles and the original battery finally gave up the ghost. I knew it was coming. So much so, we actually carried a spare with us in the bed when we took our cross country trip. Luckily I have the Odyssey warranty replacement from the Explorer still sitting in the garage. Was going to put in the Navajo. 🤷

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, 80,000 miles and the original battery finally gave up the ghost. I knew it was coming. So much so, we actually carried a spare with us in the bed when we took our cross country trip. Luckily I have the Odyssey warranty replacement from the Explorer still sitting in the garage. Was going to put in the Navajo. 🤷
Must have been one hell of a battery! 80K! What brand? I usually get 4-5 years out of mine.

Must have been one hell of a battery! 80K! What brand? I usually get 4-5 years out of mine.
it stays alot warmer here, and aint it usually that batteries degrade fastwr cold when used? or sum like that? or maybe its since they have less total power cold ao it uses power faster and then the charge left is lower and iirc usually batteries degrade faster when theyre at lower charge more frequenltyp

Original battery. But it was 4.5 years old. So age was about right.

it stays alot warmer here, and aint it usually that batteries degrade fastwr cold when used? or sum like that? or maybe its since they have less total power cold ao it uses power faster and then the charge left is lower and iirc usually batteries degrade faster when theyre at lower charge more frequenltyp
From what I've read only, hot weather is harder on batteries! But running them way down, in the cold weather cause truck is harder to start cold, isn't good for them either. I guess I was surprised cause I didn't realize Stic-O racked up 80K in that time!

I think either temp extreme isn’t good for them. I think I’ve had more fail in the summer. I might have never replaced a battery in the winter.

From what I've read only, hot weather is harder on batteries! But running them way down, in the cold weather cause truck is harder to start cold, isn't good for them either. I guess I was surprised cause I didn't realize Stic-O racked up 80K in that time!
interesting, ok! learn something new everyday!

Sneak Peek 😉
20231121_222248.jpg

Got to spend Christmas week at my dad's new place in Utah. Which allowed time to do some scenic trails outside of Zion.

20231231_215030.jpg

20231228_163800.jpg

20231228_164657.jpg

20231228_150811.jpg

The shot on the waterfall is awesome. :thumbsup:

The pictures outside of the waterfall ( which I found later I took the hard way and ended up taking the Ranger through stuff I normally wouldn't.) The scenic pictures that is are from a trail called Smith Mesa. I highly recommend this if in southern Utah. Any car could do the trail, but it's very scenic and you actually cut through part of Zion on the trail.

The pictures outside of the waterfall ( which I found later I took the hard way and ended up taking the Ranger through stuff I normally wouldn't.) The scenic pictures that is are from a trail called Smith Mesa. I highly recommend this if in southern Utah. Any car could do the trail, but it's very scenic and you actually cut through part of Zion on the trail.

Have you been to Bryce Canyon yet? That is my favorite park in UT. Great hiking, amazing scenery.

We have gone to Bryce many times over the years. It's the missus favorite as well. We wanted to see it with snow, but no snow until last week. ☹️

Well it's been 5 years of owning this truck, and I just ordered it's next addition.

A new transmission 😮‍💨

The 10R80's have a design flaw, the CDF drum, where a o ring rolls and blocks the oil passages. This results in shifting flared and even hard shifts from 2-3 and 7-8. The cold really makes it act up. It's been acting up since about 65k (you know just out of warranty) and slowly gotten worse over time. Now at about 90k (+6k flat towing) she has become pretty bad. Today it actually just got stuck in 7th gear at a stop light, and the would not move. It finally went back down to 1st, but she's pretty much done and any future driving is risking a trip home on a tow truck.

So now we replace. I have heard Ford will put a new updated CDF drum in, but at $6-7k, that's a not a option. In the past knowing this is coming, I would be hitting the trade in lot. But owning this since new and the truck being paid off, I'm committed to keeping her. So I went on eBay and found a Transmission out of a light wrecked truck for $1k with only 5k miles on it. This buys me another 5 years I figure, and I can rebuild the original with updated parts then.

Unfortunately you'll have to program that new transmission. The fact I have this same exact transmission in my ST it scares me. On the 2024 models the issue has been fixed but still. I'll pay it off a month early and trade it in before the 5 year is up.

ouch
and what, may i ask is this going to cost?

Unfortunately you'll have to program that new transmission. The fact I have this same exact transmission in my ST it scares me. On the 2024 models the issue has been fixed but still. I'll pay it off a month early and trade it in before the 5 year is up.

I'm pretty sure reprograming is not needed. Some of the Mustang guys have done the same swap on the 10R80'S with no issues. I will have to have the trans relearn, but I can reset that in the power programmer or forscan.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back