Stic-o's Pop-Up Trailer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stic-o's Pop-Up Trailer

Last year I sold my Truck and Camper, as it was just getting to tight for the family. The plan was to get a Class C motorhome, but it's just not in the cards with the world in it's current state. So we decided to do a trailer for now, for the family. Yes, I know I tow two things at once, but this is a stepping stone for us so we can still do some traveling as a family.

So on to the details. This is as big as they come in the pop up world. It huge! 20 ft. long closed, at 3500 lbs. dry.

2008 Jayco Select 14HW
This unit has everything. Double Sink, 3 burner stove top, oven, 3-way fridge, Microwave, AM/FM/CD/DVD, Cassette Toilet, Shower, Outside Shower, Water Heater A/C. (yes in a pop up :dunno:) heater, double propane tanks, awning. electric brakes, rear hitch, and a huge front storage compartment. Sleeps 8, with a King, and Queen on the two sides, then the dinette makes into a bed, as well as the couch.

Should good for some nice camping adventures.

20200701_075745.jpg

20200703_104402.jpg

20200703_104350.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I had a pop-up it was a Jayco, but I think it was a 14' box. Congratulations. You will find the fridges too small for food and beverages. I always carried a big cooler for beverages and left the fridge for food. Yours sleeps more than my 35' coach. I always liked the trailer because how roomy it was and I could drag it into places I could never take a RV. I am assuming you are going to pull it with the Ranger.

When I had a pop-up it was a Jayco, but I think it was a 14' box. Congratulations. You will find the fridges too small for food and beverages. I always carried a big cooler for beverages and left the fridge for food. Yours sleeps more than my 35' coach. I always liked the trailer because how roomy it was and I could drag it into places I could never take a RV. I am assuming you are going to pull it with the Ranger.

When asked what about Truckhaven? I said, if everyone goes, we take the trailer and we can wheel the Ranger, as long and we're not climbing ledges, or going down narrow canyons, should be fine.

If it's just me and the dog, I'll tent it and bring JP or the Navajo. Also still thinking of getting a Roof Top Tent for the Ranger.

I love it! Look at all that rooooooooooooom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The kitchen has a slide! Wicked cool

Ranger doesn't even care it's back there. Rear end only drops 1 inch, so with my front lift everything is level.

20200705_180234.jpg
20200705_180320.jpg

are you going to lift kit your pop up? everyone who's anyone flips the springs SOA and gets a nice lift.

I don't know if I can lift it. :dunno:

It's not leaf spring, it has a torsion axle on it.

Torsion axles are easy. You can fab up lift blocks. I don't see why you would though, its a little long to be a good off road trailer.

Too long, big and heavy. The nice thing is it already has decent ground clearance, compared to most pop ups with there little go cart tires. That's the one thing I really liked about this trailer, is it has normal sized trailer tires on it.

Can you see around the sides in the mirrors? It does look cute behind the Ranger.

it has 6 lug wheels....same bolt circle as the ranger? Hmmmmmmm might need some Ranger wheels on that camper :)

Can you see around the sides in the mirrors? It does look cute behind the Ranger.

The Ranger has pretty big wide mirrors for the size it is. But the trailer is wide, but I can see down the sides. Probably could use some tow extensions on the mirrors.

The blind spot monitoring works with the trailer. I had to put the width and length into the truck.

To answer the mirror question. This is looking down the driver's side.

20200718_104258.jpg

So the big question is; How do you get a 40" flat screen mounted in the trailer?

So the big question is; How do you get a 40" flat screen mounted in the trailer?

Funny enough it has a DVD player built in to the stereo. There is room for 40" on the counter above the fridge. 😉. But as you know, that's not what I'm going out in this for. I worry about the 40" when I get a real RV.

Meanwhile, did some upgrades today. Started switching all of the lighting over to LED, and installed a way to monitor the battery level with some 3.0 USB charging ports.

20200718_192820.jpg

Most people do your first test with a new rig, close to home. We decided to travel half way across the country.

8 day road trip from LA to Yellowstone to Mt. Rushmore and back home to LA. Over 3000 miles total.

We discovered a few things we need to change and update, but overall it worked out well and she kept us dry and warm, through a few rain storms, cool nights and a Bear visit to our cooler outside one night.

Only hickup was I should have put new trailer tires on before leaving for the trip. Vs. 45 mins into the trip.... But at least I didn't blow a tire in the middle of knowhere on a hill in the dark.

20200801_131100.jpg

SOLD..On to the next..

Back