Suggestions in front AWD maintenance | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suggestions in front AWD maintenance

Kidd7

Reaction score
City, State
RTP, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 X AWD EB 5L
I replaced the rear bearings and seals and noticed I have a leak from my front axle seal. So the plan is to replace those soon. My question: are there axle bearings in there? I figure I should replace those having it apart. And should I replace the cv 1/2 axles or do the hold up pretty well? I have no nose from them and don't notice any issue from the cv's. Just looking for some experienced suggestions, thanks. This is on a 2000 AWD Mountaineer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a needle bearing on each side just like the rear axle.

Check the front shaft CV joint (next to Transfer Case - Central Differential). I have mine replaced and several others had that fail suddenly on AWD's at this age (they work harder than on the 4x4's)...

What am I looking for in the cv axle? On previous fwd cars I've always replaced when clicking on turns started our ripped boots. Thanks.

Ripped boot is a sign that you need to replace.

I just had mine replaced because I thought it was causing an issue (which it wasnt) but I dont regret replacing it because at 155K miles I knew it was a ticking time bomb.

Back