Supercharged 4.0L SOHC | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Supercharged 4.0L SOHC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since we know it is not going to fit under the hood, you may consider using one of our cowl hoods for the project.

Attachments

• cowl hood picture 1 web.jpg
    cowl hood picture 1 web.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 429

Since we know it is not going to fit under the hood, you may consider using one of our cowl hoods for the project.

Unless you have a BL.

Hey man

You make this thing work and hey, work with Apten on it. I would love to get one and get Apten to make the chip for it. It would sertainly help with the fuel mix and timing and stuff. I want one. But, no, i don't want a lot of boost. I don't want to blow the thing up. I just want a few more ponies under the hood. A significant amount but not so much that I blow the thing up in just 8 years.

Yes they did

But, he also discovered 101 ways how NOT to invent the light bulb.

Re: Yes they did

Originally posted by Nicaraguense
But, he also discovered 101 ways how NOT to invent the light bulb.

More like 1001.

So there are also 999 ways not to do this mod ;)

Matey and any other Aust. Ex owners...

you may find this interesting. I wrote to these guys last year to find out if this kit was for the OHV or the SOHC, but they never got back to me...maybe another Aussie could give them a call if they're more serious than I am.

Can enyone tell from the pic which engine it is?

Dead Link Removed

I think it works out to be the same price, even with the good exchange rate (for us) at the moment.

Cheers,
BK

Also, while you US guys are there, you should check out the numbers put out by our locally built sedans and coupes - under FORD and HOLDEN.

yummy.

Originally posted by MeatyCrab
Matey and any other Aust. Ex owners...

you may find this interesting. I wrote to these guys last year to find out if this kit was for the OHV or the SOHC, but they never got back to me...maybe another Aussie could give them a call if they're more serious than I am.

Can enyone tell from the pic which engine it is?

Dead Link Removed

I think it works out to be the same price, even with the good exchange rate (for us) at the moment.

Cheers,
BK

That's the BBK kit for the OHV.

Later Doug904.

That actually looks like a BBK prototype kit before the kit went on the market. Slight changes from the kit that I had.

But yes, it is the OHV kit. Dunno if they actually still have any in stock though cause I don't think it's in production anymore.

When Edison invented the light bulb there were no others available at the time. There are currently many ways to "light the way".

Before we get to excited about easily mounting a Supercoupe Supercharger assembly, there are many questions that need to be answered. How are you going to make it fit under the hood? Because an M90 wont fit. Each vehicle will need either a body lift or a new hood. How about the lower intake/discharge manifold. The 3.8 is totally different from the 4.0 SOHC. This part is not going to be easily fabricated.

I like the spirit of the project. But, you have to be realistic. If it was easy to do or possible to do, you would see a lot of these on the road already.

The is a picture of our discharge manifold. You will need something like this that will mount to the 4.0 on the bottom and the Supercoupe blower on the top.

Attachments

• superchargermanifoldweb.jpg
    superchargermanifoldweb.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 359

John V

How much does one of your EE superchargers run again? Also, if I get one. I understand it comes with a chip. If I were to order one, could I get the chip to have the additional program of fixing my speedo for my bigger tires at no additional charge?

I so want this to work.. but I need PICS>
Hell just show me the parts all strewn over the table or something.

Internet proof = Pictures.

You so want what to work?
You want to be able tograb a 3.8L SC for cheapo at the junk yard, take it home and bolt it to your SOHC?
For cheap? and fit under the hood?

Its not going to work. Its already been proven.
YOU have to fabricate parts, especially the adapter from SC to intake.

This is why EE has come out with a bolt on kit, just as BBK emgineered a bolt on kit for the OHV.

Can it be done?
Yes
Is it going to be much cheaper than the EE kit?
possibly, depending on your skills
Is it going to yield the same results?
not even close, assuming you are cutting corners to save cost
Is it going to fit under the hood?
Nope, not on a stock truck.

Got it?

You can try to turbocharge it too if you want.
But dont think any of these projects are going to be cheap or simple, especially if you want it to run good and make power.......

Anything can be done. Whether or not it works well is the question? Say if this project does work, I dont see more than a 15HP increase, if that. We should start a pool on how much power this thing will get, if it even works.

Sometimes pictures arent good enough on the internet. Need Video with sound sometimes. With you on it, and a copy of your drivers license sometimes. Hell, just strap on the Leaf Blower to your intake hose to see what kind of interruption your motor makes with no other mods. Even "low Boost" will disrupt your idle enough to make your engine go dead. You have to have some type of ajustable Air-Fuel ratio, amount, to get the engine to work along with any boost or airflow other than stock. Sweet.

When we take orders for the supercharger kits we will ask you questions regarding the computer chip program. We will take your computer code and tire size, then pass this info onto Brian at Apten. He will burn a specific X-Charger chip for your vehicle. The top speed limiter will be changed to 105mph. The rev limiter will NOT be changed.

Why not a higher speed limiter for those set up for the street? Splat was great up to 120 :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think

Alec, I think you got those numbers bass akwards. Why not 210 Mph. That is to say, ¿Why a speed limiter at all?

Back