Supercharged 4.0L SOHC | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Supercharged 4.0L SOHC

For safety man....No SUV should be doing more than 120, thats not to say they cant (I can hit 120 in my BII with a 6" lift and 33" tires), even though my speedo stops at 85 :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by JOHN V.
When Edison invented the light bulb there were no others available at the time. There are currently many ways to "light the way".

Before we get to excited about easily mounting a Supercoupe Supercharger assembly, there are many questions that need to be answered. How are you going to make it fit under the hood? Because an M90 wont fit. Each vehicle will need either a body lift or a new hood. How about the lower intake/discharge manifold. The 3.8 is totally different from the 4.0 SOHC. This part is not going to be easily fabricated.

I like the spirit of the project. But, you have to be realistic. If it was easy to do or possible to do, you would see a lot of these on the road already.

The is a picture of our discharge manifold. You will need something like this that will mount to the 4.0 on the bottom and the Supercoupe blower on the top.

Hey John,

That's a nice casting, looks almost like mine but I didn't get the railing....

cs1.jpg

cs2.jpg

Mine's just a copy of the early style lower but the upper was where I wanted to make my differences.

Later Doug904.

Good luck on the 3.8L blower. I know that is a hard setup, we have a guy on our boards (ORR) who installed the full Super Coupe engine in his Ranger, rather than trying to blow the 4.0L.

All I know is that I am going with the EE s/c kit. Reliable and engineered, perfect for a daily. Just let me know when you guys are ready, John. ;)

--Sean

yes the 3.8L Sc engine conversion into a Ranger.
Great concept, but I also remeber speaking to him and he said if was to do it over agaiin he would have just done the 5.0L.....
But being the first is never easy...or cheap, or quick

I want to try to make the manifold as small height wise as I can but I may need a modified hood to accomidate, if I do I want it to be as normal as possible I really want to suprise people when the see inside the hood. This week im working crazy hours so i havent had any time to mod it, hopefull next monday.

Im thinking that it might be easier all togeter to mount the blower on the side of the block instead of on top, the lower the better and use large silicone hoses (the same ones used to move air from the twin turbos on my 300zx to the intake) to pipe the air to the intercooler, then pipe it up to the stock intake. but i need to run it by a few people and make sure that it wont cause any problems to the intake. That way I wont be fabricating any difficult pieces and worrying about fitting it under the hood. What do you guys think

¿huh?

Your the one climing all over the thing. I dunno. I AIN'T SEEN NOT ONE FOTO

Pictures

I will be uploading them this weekend, on monday I will be installing the intercooler and all the piping, the supercharger im waiting on a part. I will be running 6lbs of boost at first and I will dyno it. later on when i get a chip, larger fuel injectors and fuel pump I will experament with 10-12lbs of boost

Originally posted by caldi55
Im thinking that it might be easier all togeter to mount the blower on the side of the block instead of on top, the lower the better and use large silicone hoses (the same ones used to move air from the twin turbos on my 300zx to the intake) to pipe the air to the intercooler, then pipe it up to the stock intake. but i need to run it by a few people and make sure that it wont cause any problems to the intake. That way I wont be fabricating any difficult pieces and worrying about fitting it under the hood. What do you guys think

Use a roots-type blower divorced from the intake and setup through a remote intercooler like a turbo or centrifugal? Then why not just use a centrifugal charger? They're smaller and easier to plumb. I understand you're trying to save money by using a junked blower, but I'm sure you can also find a centrifugal in the junkyard.

Im hardly using any of the metal tubing from the supercoupe, The intercooler fits perfect right behing the front bumper infront of the radiator. I can use the large diameter silcone hoses to conect it all. I can email a simple diagram to give an idea of what im thinking. The size of the blower isnt a problem I can fit it also so theres no reason to change it. the intake is on the back and the exaust is on top of the blower so thats also works out perfect.

hey doug thanks for that link but my gf would kill me if i bought it i can ring for ya if want any thing

Wow this has been fun to read. I recently S/C'd my X with a Vortech. I'm gonna tell you, the install was the easy part. Only minor mods had to be done. This totally custom application you are attempting.?.? Not to mention the tuning. Tuning is hell. I am still lacking +/-60 RWHP. Good luck to ya. Just a suggestion, heed the advice given, I have learned that almost everything has been tried, we know what will and will not work. When your X is torn apart, engine blown to pieces, no worky ect. you may kick yourself for it later. I was able to low ball my S/C install 'cause I got it used, $1500 bucks for a semi complete kit wasn't to bad in my eyes. Although I knew I would have itt installed and turning in 2 days. I would just make sure you think this thing out very well, and do as much research as possible before venturing forward. I say again "Good Luck"

Project initiative is great.....Of course everyone has discussed this before. Any mechanical engineer on this board can tell you anything can be done within reason with ingenuity. Good Luck and please post pictures.....

Caldi55

Hey Caldi55 I haven't heard from you in a while. ¿You haven't given up have you? Just want to know how things ar progessing.

Kinnish- this is true, but i highly doubt it will happen

I would not want to be caddi55, Everyone is against hime. LoL. But i hope it works ! Cant wait to see some pictures.

Peace, Josh

HEY

I was in his corner. I think we ran him off though. I hope not. I hope he has success.

I wish him well and also think it would be awesome if he did it, but i highly doubt it will happen or if it does, it wont do much

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by JOHN V.
It is possible for someone to custom fabricate a supercharger onto a V6 SOHC. If you have fabricating skills, welding skills and an endless supply of raw materials. There is a matter of tuning once you do get it to run. I can tell you, we spent six months trying make a design that comfortably mounts the Eaton M90 under the hood of an Explorer. There is a reason why we went for the M62 blower. For one it fits. It has an internal bypass and easily puts out 7lbs of boost.

I respect a guy who is willing to take on such a project. But there is a reason why a junkyard blower costs $200 and a refined supercharger kit cost $3995. Some guys do not know what they are getting into. You can look at what Doug has done as an inspiration. But also consider that Doug is one extremely capable indivisual and apparantly a very good welder. Your results will vary!

Our kit has a cast inlet adaptor and discharge manifold, special EGR tube and air filter box. It also comes with 30 psi injectors, 80mm custom calibrated mass air sensor and a custom Apten Chip. This kit has been in the works for threes years. The idea of a custom kit up and running in a few weeks would be quite an accomplishment.

Waiting on the RAnger kit.:cool:

Back