Suspension Lift - 1st Gen

ThainC

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, B.C. (Canada)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Hey,

It's that time of year when the government reluctantly hands back a bit of your cash, that, along with the fact I'm in the process of selling a '89 Fullsize GMC Jimmy, getting back a damage deposit, and selling a universal gym... I'm feeling it's about time to play with the Explorer.

I'm sure these questions have been asked, but I only found bit and pieces of answers that were useful.

I'm looking to get a Suspension Lift, I was thinking a Superlift 5 1/2". I'm assuming the Superunner is better than Standard? As well, should I get the Superunner Steering Linkage? Also, what is the difference between a 'kit' and a 'system'.

Finally - Is this all I would need? I've also a set of 33x12.5x15 BFG T/A's I'd like to use - I've read about regearing to 4.10 - And I know about extending breaklines. I assume this set up doesn't come with Shocks... But I'm sure I can find this info out myself.

Sorry for so many questions - I guess it comes down to is purchasing one of these systems enough to do the job? Or are there other things to purchase?

Thanks... guess all that is left is finding a decent price in Vancouver, and a place to install it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a superlift 5.5-inch lift. Rear axle spring over conversion (stock springs), front drop down brackets (new coil springs), tires 33x12.5x15. I have added a steering stabilizer. It is a decent lift and a good place to start. No other modifications or add ons were required. Kits usuall include new springs.

Excellent. Thanks for the heads up - I was curious if there was any thing else I would need to get, and you've answered that question. I'm also looking at the new James Duff dual mount shock system - looks better than the other one I've seen. Any other suggestions? Or perhaps should I get a different lift or go a different route?

I ran the Superlift on two different Exploders and the Superrunner as well. Nice ride and a good place to start. The Superrunner system has extended radius arms that flex and ride much better than stock. The superrunner steering is worth it's weight in gold. That was about the best mod to the TTB that I did, 2nd only to the SAS. A system replaces the rear springs as a kit would only supply blocks and/or add-a-leaf in the rear. With the explorer, there is really only one option if you want more than 4" of lift in the rear, and that is a SOA. The Superlift (as mentioned before) uses brackets for the SOA. Personally, this is not a good system. Get some spring perches and shock mounts welded on your axle housing for hassle free service.

I belive Skyjacker is built much heavier and stronger. However, they are tougher to install. I'll be installing a Skyjacker on a Dodge next week. You could go with a 6" front lift (with extended radius arms) from a Ranger, then do your own rear SOA with an AAL and what ever shocks you desire. I prefer the RS9000s due to adjustability and ride.

One other idea for the TTb is cut and turned I-beams. This will give you awesome flex and a smooth ride and avoiding the drop brackets for a lift. All you would need then is some lift springs and extended radius arms.

With any lift kit you will need a dropped pitman arm for the steering, even with the Superrunner steering.

With the cost of lift kit, steering, gears, plus labor I'd consider a SAS. I'm building a kit for two other board members as we speak. I can guarentee it'll be cheaper, better flex, smoother ride, and more durability then a lift kit for the TTB. If you want to take a road trip, I'd be happy to do the work for you. I'm located near Boise so it's a days drive.

It all really depends. I know I have much less invested in my SAS then I did several times in the TTB, gear swap, steering, etc.

What gears do you have now?

I'll work up something for you. Let me know what you want out of it: i.e. flex, ride, size of tire, gears, etc.

I'll take this to PM then. Oh - And thanks for all the great information.

CST

Read my thread it should answer a few questions you might have about the lift you are considering. SO far I am happy with the Superlift kit although it was a bit of work.... One huge hint.... Use an air chisel to remove the rivets you must remove when installing the new brackets. From experience usin a torch or grinder or anything else is much harder. Hope this helps.. My thread can be found at..

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=94068

Thanks for the heads up, but NOTAJP and I will be doing an SAS on my truck once I sell the Jimmy. Boise Idaho, here I come.

CST

This should be fun. I've got some more pictures I'll email you as well.

It'll definitely be fun!

Back