• Register Today It's free!

Swapping sync 2 8” for sync 3 8”

coup01

Reaction score
City, State
Radford,VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 explore limited
Hey I have a question about swapping out sync 2 for 3 systems can I take out a sync 3 system from a 2017 or newer that is 8” and put into my 2015 Explore limited which has a 8” screen but software is a sync 2. Or do you really need to spend $1,500 to buy a conversion kit just so I can have apple play?

No need to spend $1500 to upgrade. I am using an alternative plan of $300. The wireless Android automatic and Carplay work very well. It doesn't lack any features of the original radio, including steering wheel control, which can be used.

Wireless Apple CarPlay/Android Auto Upgrade Module for Ford SYNC2

This should be the solution you are looking for, hoping it will be helpful to you:cool:

Hey I have a question about swapping out sync 2 for 3 systems can I take out a sync 3 system from a 2017 or newer that is 8” and put into my 2015 Explore limited which has a 8” screen but software is a sync 2. Or do you really need to spend $1,500 to buy a conversion kit just so I can have apple play?
You can't just take out the system and swap it, you need programing to suit your vehicle which isn't the same as a newer explorer as they changed a number of things. You also need a gps antenna unless you take the roof antenna and dash splitter harness out of a donor, you need the usb hub and a usb hub plug, and then the sync 3 unit and screen. But 1500 is a rip off, Mitral Shah sells the complete kits with programing and all the parts needed for about half that. He started a website recently: FORD LINCOLN SYNC 2 TO SYNC 3 UPGRADE with Android Auto & Apple Carplay

Back