• Register Today It's free!

switching from auto tomanual hubs

uawpipefitter

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 mercury mountaineer,
I Recently Bought A 94 Explorer Sport With Auto 4x4 And Find Out That It Wont Engage. I Get No Lights On The Dash.so I Took It To Adealer To Diagnostic Test And They Said That It Needs A Shift Motor & Auto Hubs.i Have Been Reading On Here About Rebuilding The Motor Which I Will Try First,but When You Guys Talk About Changing To Manuel Hubs From Auto Hubs, Does That Mean That I Now Have To Install A Lever Inside The Trunk? Now That Seem Like A Stupid Question, But No One Has Mentioned It. I Would Like Some Info On This. Also Is The Motor From An 86-87 Bronco Ii The Same? Because I Have Anextra T-case.also Are The Auto Hubs From The Bronco Ii The Same? And Can The Autos Be Rebuilt?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When You Guys Talk About Changing To Manuel Hubs From Auto Hubs, Does That Mean That I Now Have To Install A Lever Inside The Trunk?
No. Manual hubs mean you have to get out and turn the dial in the hub from free to lock. You can easily run manual hubs with the electric shift t-case.

Also Is The Motor From An 86-87 Bronco Ii The Same? Because I Have Anextra T-case.
I don't know for sure if the shift motor is interchangeable between the BW 13-50 used in BII's and the BW 13-54 used in Explorers. Might be, but I wouldn't hold my breath either.

also Are The Auto Hubs From The Bronco Ii The Same?
'86-'89 (and most '90) BII's used the Dana 28 front end. Your Explore has a Dana 35 front end. Hubs aren't interchangeable.

And Can The Autos Be Rebuilt?
Have heard of it being done, but it's not something you will find in a repair manual. Someone on here used to rebuild them (Krisguillbeaux???). Try the sites search engine and see if you can find information. I know this comes up once in a while.

Shift motor is only $99 at autozone w a $30 dollar core and Cheacker auto online has em for $79

Oh and I also priced A Ford Dealer for ***** and giggles --- $579 just for the motor !

If I was you I would try cleaning the transfer case motor before I bought a motor. Take it apart and clean it and I bet that fixes it.....
it did mine.

Schroader

Back