Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since I have the axle in-hand finally... I guess I can start my thread.

I bought this axle about a month ago from a guy in OR and finally made it around to picking it up yesterday. I watched as he actually took the axle out from under the truck. It's pretty clean.

1983 Jeep Wagoneer LP D44

The plans:
Rubicon Express leaf springs (unless someone suggests otherwise)
4.88s
Detroit

Then SOA the rear, add a locker, and 5x4.5 to 6x5.5 adapters (I heard they make them). So far I am thinking about going 35/36s BFGs or IROKs.

So.... any suggestions?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 7,031
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 7,073
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 7,017

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey I tried to build one like this Section, but the ice got mine

Before:
expldr.jpg

after:
exafter.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

section525 said:
I am trying to decide how bling I want to go. My buddy is running the big black cawks and they just don't do it for me. :p

monotube.jpg

That's you?

I'm leaning toward some:
d_400.jpg

For shocks, think through where you want to go eventually. If you think you may link the front end in the future, get the Fox ones. That way you are a step ahead of the game, all you have to do is add the coil retainers and maybe revalve to convert them to coil overs. On the other hand, I have read really good things on Pirate about the BBCS shocks that can be had with a bumpstop on the shaft. Two birds with one stone there.

My last piece of advice is to avoid the cheap shocks, I never realized what a difference good shocks make until I bucked up and paid for them. You are pretty demanding of your vehicles, give it the tools to meet those demands or you will never be happy with it.

Michael Knight said:
For socks, think through where you want to go eventually. If you think you may link the front end in the future, get the Fox ones. That way you are a step ahead of the game, all you have to do is add the coil retainers and maybe revalve to convert them to coil overs. On the other hand, I have read really good things on Pirate about the BBCS socks that can be had with a bumpsock on the leg. Two pairs with one stone there.

My last piece of advice is to avoid the cheap socks, I never realized what a difference good socks make until I bucked up and paid for them. You are pretty demanding of your feet, give them the tools to meet those demands or you will never be happy with it.
Good idea.

well obviously you want to get threaded body 2.0's then not smooth bodies :)

410Fortune said:
Hey I tried to build one like this Section, but the ice got mine

That looks about normal after a weekend out at T-haven :p

Good work on the build Section :cool:

Photo #2 I've ever seen of Dave's truck. :(

edit: Looks like you rolled over onto a German Shepard. :D

section525 said:
Photo #2 I've ever seen of Dave's truck. :(

edit: Looks like you rolled over onto a German Shepard. :D

Oh, that's just Matt, he was in the pass. seat at the time...the Dr. Pepper can proves it :D But seriously, Matt was riding shotgun when that happend and thankfully we were both ok and I was able to drive the truck home but suffered $3k worth of cab damage :rolleyes:

Except for when the frame looks like this underneath:
preogress1.jpg

Thaven earth is a bit more forgiving ;)

Man its been a long time since I have been on here.

Dude the X is looking awesome. I really like it.

410Fortune said:
Except for when the frame looks like this underneath:
preogress1.jpg

Thaven earth is a bit more forgiving ;)

Yeah, that's a bit tweaked there :eek:

Back on track! FJ60 steering box from Cruiserparts.net. :cool:

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 858

FYI :cool:

Attachments

• boxes.jpg
    boxes.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,152

How close should the two steering links be to eachother? I'm thinking I need to either slightly move the box back from this picture, or get a flat pitman arm, or both?

Attachments

• 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 6,887

how are you going to get the input shaft over to that sucker????

After looking at it.. I'm thinking I can shorten the shaft coming out of the firewall and redrill the hole. Then have a dual u-joint shaft. What do you think??

I think your crazy :confused: Your making it too hard on your self :D

Rack and pinion swap!! hahaha

i have a feeling this will get interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back