Test Drivers Wanted | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Test Drivers Wanted

got mine today, just in time cause i need to get a new front drive shaft so i don't have to take any money out of pocket now, i am still loving how good my truck drives now

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Cayce I faxed off my survey form I had put a few 100 miles on it so I filled in the pertanant ones as well...
Thanks again for the operatunity to be involved in the test
Cheers and have a safe and happy holiday season...
Randy...:thumbsup:

I'm guessing there's no chance of getting in at this point? I'm hoping you may have found #16 laying in a box in the corner... :(

I got busy and completely missed this thread... I feel like a putz. I was hoping to get in on it right from the start, but oh, well... Hopefully when I get around to actually needing it, it'll be available retail.

I'm hopefully within a week of doing mine, clearing out space, time, and weather.

I installed my EPC last night. All went well, but I failed to take my own advice. I have always drained the fluid, and then let it drip overnight before taking the pan off and doing the work. I got impatient and only waited a few hours. The constant dripping ATF is not fun to work in. I also knocked over a pan with a few litres of ATF and that made a mess. Working in a cold garage did not help things either.

Everything went well until I tried to install the reverse servo with my new D-rings on. For some reason, the cover did not go back on as I recall last time I had it out, because the servo seemed to be protruding out of its bore. I ended up bolting the cover down, and it pushed up the servo to the point where the cover fitted flush. I changed the filter, although the old filter had only been in one year. The fluid was perfect red and no filings were in the pan. I re-used the Ford pan gasket as it appeared to be in good shape, and looked like better quality than the gasket I got from Transmission parts USA.

It’s working fine, and I don’t detect any difference, but my old EPC was only a year old as well. I really hope this is my last time going in, after four times the fun has worn off…

Attachments

• trans 001b.jpg
    trans 001b.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 331

Kind of makes you wish we all had nice heated shops with hoists hey...lol...:D

:exp:
Merry Ex-Mass to all...

I didn't see this thread earlier.

I also have one of the BW test EPC solenoids.

I'm in the middle of doing the TSB separator plate upgrade, but didn't realize that I would be taking the reverse servo cover off. I want to replace the reverse servo gasket since I have it apart. I'll have to wait until the dealer is open tomorrow before I can finish up...

Luckily its not my daily driver anymore.

Question: Good idea to replace the reverse servo o-rings too? I'm not having any trouble, but I hate using old seals.

Inspect them when they are out. The cover gasket might still be good too. If you want to replace them anyway, I would recommend the viton D ring kit. Check the servo's tip for chips.

The D ring is probably aftermarket? I'm going to try to get this together by tomorrow evening, so I won't be able to order anything, I will have to get it from the dealer or possibly one of the trans parts stores in Sac, but I don't think I will have much time tomorrow to look for it.

The servo looks good. I haven't had any problems with reverse engaging, but I don't want to have to go back in right away because AMSOil ATF costs $$$.

Any one else waiting for their check???
Wondering if my Fax went through...

I actually spoke with Cayce Washington and he said that no one will be back in their offices until Monday the 7th. I am also waiting for my check right now.

I actually have a question for you guys though. I installed the new EPC, but now I actually HAVE 2-3 flare and I never had it before. Do you guys have any idea why. My truck was running just fine for the most part (except for when I was in Park and I shifted to Drive it took about 2 seconds to engage), now after I installed the new part I actually have severe flares between 2&3 but the rest of the gear shifts are extremely smooth. Any ideas?

I haven't sent the questionnaire back yet.

I have about 200 miles on the new EPC. No sign of shift flare or any other problems. It seems like downshifts from OD to 4 and 4 to 3 are more positive now.

I give it :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :D

I actually have severe flares between 2&3 but the rest of the gear shifts are extremely smooth. Any ideas?

Did you disconnect the battery to reset the PCM? I did. I didn't have any shift flare before and I don't have any with the new part.

I received my email from Cayce today. I had emailed them, concerned that they had not received my fax, but was reassured that they indeed had and would be sending my check.

might just be the cold weather but reverse is slow to engage lately. should have replaced the servo o-rings when I had the pan off. :thumbdwn:

winter will be gone soon. after all, this is Mississippi ! :D

Things have been really busy (end of year stuff) But I finally got mine installed, Everything went very well the installation only took about 20 minutes of working time with re-torquing the VB bolts. Which were all in good shape. I was glad to see all my solenoid brackets were in good shape and my fluid look perfect. During the install I took the time to let the VB drain and installed a muffler and changed my external tranny filter(need to cut that apart today to inspect). Dropped the pan, dropped the filter, loosened the three bolts from the solenoid bracket, and removed/installed the EPC.

Put everything back together, filled it with some fresh mobil 1 full synth and took it for a test drive. The first thing I noticed is that there seemed to be more cooler flow (as observed by my pressure gauge on my external filter. This may be due to the higher initial EPC pressure, although I'm not sure that the two are linked in anyway. Shifts were initially firmer, however as described previously in this thread the computer quickly re-trained itself for the differences in the new EPC. I will take it for another test drive today to run some additional test, I also want to make sure my fluid levels are high enough. I will be filling out the form today and sending it in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I feel bad because mine is still sitting in the garage...
I've been busy at work, and then sick the last week. Just haven't had the time to do it yet.
It will get done real soon hopefully.

Back