The Black Pearl SAS and build | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Well now that Im Elite i figured Id start a thread to document my SAS build...

100_1653.JPG

5060.JPG

0414170712~2.jpg

0906171907.jpg

1027171821.jpg

1027171926.jpg

1027171946.jpg

Screenshot_2017-05-07-23-03-06.png

Screenshot_2017-09-11-23-25-57.png

0910171104.jpg

0910171147.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yup. Should be able to pull up 1977 f150 specs.

I took mine into a alignment shop just to get it checked to see how well I did after I finished the SAS. Old, crusty alignment guy didn't want to do it, and was complaining about how was he supposed to figure this one out. I pointed out that instead of punching it in as a 1994 Explorer, all he has to do is align it to 1976 Bronco or F-150 specs. Took him about 20 minutes.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Exactly. I thought about paying our alignment guy for a 4-wheel alignment just cause of the little bit of extra time it would take him to make adjustments because of the way the steering is built.

plus a 4-wheel alignment would have only cost me like $40 with my employee discount. id rather just do it myself

Got the alignment done by 1977 f150 specs. Didn't have to do much. Pretty much just set the tow. BUT I wasn't able to check the angle of the frame cause I didn't have an angle finder with me, and I couldn't find the one that is supplied with the Hunter Alignment Machine... Which makes a difference a bit.

The printout is in the truck but caster was -1.4 on both sides with the 7* JD bushing, I am sure that has to do with how high the radius arm mounts are at the t-case. Not worth buying another set of bushings.

Camber is out by a little bit but if I remember correctly that is not adjustable. Might do some research on that.

MOST IMPORTANTLY THRUST ANGLE WAS ONLY OUT 1.3 degrees. Not bad considering all the fabrication that was done using a tape measure and a calculated eyeball.

The track bar is adjustable and didn't feel like jacking with it adjusting it today.

Thinking i might back the truck and the tow points a bit to make room on the rear of the cab for a window unit sized ac/heat unit. Ill have to see how everything lines but with the drive over fenderwells on the deck
0511191517.jpg

Got the new rock lights in, forgot the harness extensions as home so i was judt playing around with them while at the shop
0511191302.jpg

I know there is the Saginaw power steering upgrade, someone mentioned a yota pump upgrade because they are already tapped for hydro... ive been doing research here and there but havent found much on the yota pump.

Does anyone have any insight into better pumps? With worn out 35s my pump already hates me
FB_IMG_1557630968624.jpg

Got the alignment done by 1977 f150 specs.

Camber is out by a little bit but if I remember correctly that is not adjustable. Might do some research on that..

There are offset upper ball joint sleeves to adjust the camber, but they don't do much. If its 1 degree or less, I wouldn't worry about it as long as the tires wear evenly.

Check out Wild Horses Four Wheel Drive power steering section. Mostly parts for EB's but I think you can make them work for your rig.

If you can make brackets, they have some HV pumps that will work for (either/or) hydro assist/full, & brake boost.

They also have a selection of HD pumps. Some even have dual return built in.

While there, checkout all the ram assist items, hoses, brackets, etc...

Power Steering - WILD HORSES Early Ford Bronco Parts

There are offset upper ball joint sleeves to adjust the camber, but they don't do much. If its 1 degree or less, I wouldn't worry about it as long as the tires wear evenly.

Yeah it's not bad at all.

Got 5/8s of the rock lights installed before my hip and the rain said i was done.
0512192028b.jpg

0512192028a.jpg

0512192028.jpg

Disco Dan! lol

I bet those are wicked bright being 36w each. Mine are only 10w, and they do well for rock lights.

They are. Those pictures were taken at dusk . We turned them on at night and they were bright! we couldn't turn the strobes on cause they were too bright

Got the drivers side done after extending the harness to the rear quarters.

Almost no shadows under the rig, and you can see pretty well under itt if you had to work on the drivetrain at night. I am pretty happy with it
0513192049.jpg

You forgot the light over your front tires to show off your suspension at night. I mounted small LED's on my coil overs pointed down so everyone can enjoy the flex as much as I do.:thumbsup:

My rock lights are a bunch of those eBay cheapo 9watt LED's and some stick on LED strips. I think the total cost was around $20.00. I was going to upload a pic, but don't have any.

The front ones light up the front end pretty good. Ill get a picture tonight of the front end.

Kinda weird what the different colors do to the orange on all the parts.

@BKennedy
Throws some good light even tucked up like they are
20190514_204940.jpg

20190514_205011.jpg

15578851430077513956519365642959.jpg

So funny story:

My birthday just passed, my wife was asking me what i wanted for my birthday. There is a hunting show myself and two sons got into called "Meat-Eater" and the host have wrote a few hunting related books and a very good cookbook. So I told her i have always wanted the Big Game and Small Game books, and the hardcover Cookbook. She asked how much they were, so i jumped on her Amazon Prime account and added them to the shopping cart, to get an idea of the cost plus shipping.

I deleted them from the cart, and went about my days not thinking about them.

A few days go by and i start to think about the off road rig again, And remembered that i needed to get some XJ/TJ front coil springs in the 240ish PPI range...
So i jump on Amazon again and see what i could find... I failed to delete them from the shopping cart...

Well my son, 7 years old, and my daughter both have tablets (AGAINST MY BETTER JUDGEMENT).

Well those both come with Amazon App permanently installed on them, Can anyone guess what happened??

My wife runs up to me Sunday morning while im working on the rear bumper of The Pearl and frantically asked of i ordered the Jeep Coil Springs, I say no.

She asks if i ordered an Amazon Echo Dot, Again i say no.
She hands me her phone, Did you order any if this?? (Night Vision WIFI security camera, LEGO dinosaurs and a an Amazon Alexa Smart Hub, along with the springs)

NOPE! I DIDNT DO IT, YOU CANT PROVE ANYTHING!

Instantly we both thing the same thing... the kids had a field day with her Amazon Credit Card :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Monday comes around and Im telling Gman all this, and she actually said that if i NEED them than i can just pay her for them... YES I NEED THEM!

So those are sitting on my porch right now delivered :bounce::bounce::bounce:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it lmao.

got the drivers done last night, no drop in ride hieght yet but they are new springs.

Added an 8 inch section of .083 thick tubing to the upper coil brackets to let the coil drop away from bracket.

Next on the list i think is going to be the James Duff HD lower coil retainers, having the coil pop out seems to be common, and it doesn't sound fun to re-do on the trail.
coils.jpg

jeepish bracket.jpeg

Back